Emerald Pond

Reviews of Emerald Pond

Independent Living Reviews for Emerald Pond

September 24, 2020

By Jeanne

Emerald Pond was pretty good. The facilities were good and the staff was pleasant to us. I know somebody that lives there. They're being well taken care of. They're connected with Legacy and you pay extra for it. They have people that come in and will take care of you as you need it. It's built for basically independent living, but I think they have a doctor on-site and they provide transportation. It's very much like other facilities that advertise as independent care, but they do offer a higher level of care than the others. We couldn't have afforded it.

August 26, 2020

By Ivy's moms

The rooms are well designed and you are safe and secure here. You are well fed and the staff is friendly and helpful.

March 10, 2020

By VRchambers

My uncle lived at Emerald Pond 1-1.5 yrs. We had the following problems: [1] Services not provided as expected, ie, ad stated weekly trash pick-up, reality was housekeeper would take certain trash & my uncle had to take to the dumpster trash she would not take; [2] I personally heard 5 different residents state they were turned away from breakfast/lunch because staff told them they arrived too late to be served [the rent includes cost for 3 meals a day]; [3] General Manager Lisa did not make us feel she was concerned with any of this, other managers Kim & another lady would just nod/smile/walk away; [4] Parking layout is horrible, needs a lot more spaces.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to rate and review our community. We regret to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience at our community and are confident this does not recommend our community as a whole. You are correct that our all-inclusive rent does offer 3 chef prepared meals a day, however, we do have scheduled dining times for each meal, all of which is communicated to our residents. We would love the opportunity to speak with you further about your concerns and make things right. Please feel free to reach out to our management team if you would like to discuss further. Thank you

June 19, 2019

By William

Emerald Pond was excellent. The rooms were good. The staff is excellent. They offered the same activities as other places did. The food and dining area were excellent. They don't have a pool, but they have a pond.

Hi William, thank you for stopping by! Our kitchen team provides 3 delicious and nutritious meals to residents every day. If you have any questions about emerald Pond, please do not hesitate to reach out.

September 27, 2018

By John

We were impressed with Emerald Pond. It was a fine and lovely facility. We were primarily looking at two-bedroom units and the size was just right for us. Everybody was fine. We were invited to lunch and we were seated with the residents who gave us inside information about the pros and the cons that they have while living there. There was nothing to brag about food-wise. It was restaurant style.

August 29, 2018

By Al

I like the rooms at Emerald Pond. I also like the meals there. The people are very nice and very good. The problem is that transportation is not wheelchair accessible. When I pointed that out to them, they just said, "Oh well, no big deal," but they can't do anything for me. I have to go to the doctors about one or two times a weeks, so they can't take me. I'm really frustrated by that. Well, the room is fine, the food is excellent, and the people are very nice and helpful, but I feel like I was misled on the transportation. It is a place for elderly people. They got about 10 people here that arrived in wheelchairs; however, they don't make any provision to help them. The staff is very good and very helpful. The facilities are great. For what you get, the price is very good.

May 11, 2018

By Ronald

Emerald Pond was wonderful and was my favorite. It seemed more like home than most places I have seen. The rooms were spacious and there was ample parking. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My favorite were the little individual units that were connected. The grounds were kept up nicely and it was all around a nice place.

April 08, 2018

By Joy

I visited Emerald Pond. The community was presentable. The rooms were nice. I liked the foyer/entrance. The dining room was spacious and right off of the foyer. I liked the layout of the reading room, too. The upstairs was an open layout. You could see the library, the workout room, the movie room, and the different little rooms. The staff was friendly. She gave me a lot of information. They showed me an activity room and the schedule of activities posted on the walls of the elevator. They also said they have outings.

March 30, 2018

By DK

Emerald Pond was very nice, but it was antiquated and old, things hadn't been changed, and the carpeting wasn't the best. It had a very small apartment, and you couldn't even have a refrigerator or a stove. It was very unaccommodating. The staff was generally very nice. I enjoyed them. I saw people in the pool, people working out in chairs, anda nurse. We ate there too.

September 12, 2017

By Bette

Emerald Pond was a very attractive, newer facility. They didn’t have staff 24/7. They had snacks and coffee available anytime and nice places to gather for the residents to do classes and things like that. The pricing was OK. They had nice cottages for those who can afford them.

April 12, 2017

By Charles185443

Emerald Pond was excellent and had very nice apartments. The staff was very good. The activities were enjoyable. The price was quite high, but it was worth it. It was very convenient for me and one of the best I've seen.

January 26, 2017

By Barbara827553

I was impressed with Emerald Pond. It seemed rather contemporary. I had a free, good lunch and was taken on a tour outside. I liked the walking area and trail. It really seemed OK. I saw one room that two people occupied, and it seemed spacious enough, but if I were to live there, there would still be a lot of downsizing that I'd have to do. I thought it was nice, and the people seemed happy enough. I thought living there would be really OK, except I didn't like the idea of having a roommate, and even then I don't think I can afford it.

November 07, 2016

By Jacqueline622301

Emerald Pond was a nice place too, but the cost was too much for what you will be getting. It’s an old building, well kept, and adequate room sizes. but the building is built down in the low line area, and it’s near the pond.

Thanks for the feedback, Jacqueline622301. We strive to provide excellent service to our customers at Emerald Pond, and really appreciate you mentioning we have a nice place with adequate room sizes. We regret to hear the rest of the community did not fit your needs, but appreciate you coming to visit us and share your thoughts on your experience! Thank you so much!

November 01, 2016

By Barbara453411

My overall experience at Emerald Pond was good. It had every activity and every support facility. It was a newer building, so it was more updated but that also made it more expensive. They had limited apartments, and they also had separate patio homes. There were no openings -- which I guess is a sign of a good facility -- but there were only a few of the separate patio homes.

August 16, 2016

By Maureen247122

My mother has been in Emerald Pond for the past year and a half. It's very nice and clean, and the apartment is on the first floor, which my mother prefers. The dining hall overlooks the pond. It is very pretty, and the residents are very nice. The Operations Manager is fantastic. When we first got there, they had the whole family go in the quiet dining hall and made it so special and very nice. Since then, I have been over on several occasions to go and eat with her, and it’s very nice. It’s a great place.

May 10, 2016

By Concerned Son6

Emerald Pond is out in the country a little bit. The pond is a focal point, so it is scenic. The rooms are comparable to others but probably a little bit smaller and more costly.

May 10, 2016

By LeoDSSUN

Emerald Pond was the newest of the three places we visited. It was nice, and the location was great. We met the husband and wife managers who were the most agreeable and helpful. It was a good tour. They had some exercise equipments, and we saw the dining area, which was very nice.

October 28, 2015

Everything has been fine at Emerald Pond. It's a convenient location, and I like the facility. It's very clean and large, and the price is right. My mother likes the food a lot. She's very happy there. They have a lot of activities, and she just picks the ones that she likes. There are plenty of things for her to do.

October 27, 2015

By Sylvia20

I visited Emerald Pond, and the lady was very nice. I didn't like the rooms because there wasn't enough storage, and they were relatively small. What they had was a cottage, and it was very nice. The food was good; we had a nice meal. The membership fee was reasonable. They would get you to doctors' appointments with transportation on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, they take you shopping. They have a lot of group activities, and they try to get free tickets from the community for concerts and things like that. They have a calendar of activities with all kinds of things that they do like trivia games during lunch.

July 06, 2015

We went to Emerald Pond, and it was very nice. The staff was very cordial and very helpful. We liked the place. It was clean, and it had lovely grounds. They gave us a nice tour. The apartments were nice, clean, and very small. The dining room looked fine, but we didn't actually eat there. There were a lot of activities. They had lots of things going on. They had different groups, clubs, and events going on. That looked pretty good. What impressed me more were the people. The woman who showed us around was very nice, and they seemed like they really took interest with the people who lived there.

October 31, 2014

Emerald Pond seemed to be a very nice place. When my mother came out of rehab, she needed assisted living but I really couldn’t afford it. She is much better, and she is able to take care of herself. She has a studio apartment which is very adequate for her. A studio apartment is just a room, and she has a bed, a recliner, a couple of chairs, and a couple of dressers. There is a built-in cabinet with a sink in them, a refrigerator, and she could have a microwave if she wanted but she doesn’t want one. There was a lady that I worked with in the sales department; she was very nice and helpful. I don’t see the managers. They have many activities in the facility; they have bingo, library, movies, people who come and sing and entertain them, and they have trips. I know the food was fine; mother complained sometimes but they served their meals, they don’t have to go to the land, they served them like salads or soups and the main dish. The food I thought was very good. Sometimes I think it would be nice if the caregiver to my mother that I know more about what was going on sometimes, and I would like to get a newsletter. What impressed me is the fact that it’s very clean and homey.

August 28, 2014

By Basil1

I love Emerald Pond. It is close to where I am now renting and it is closest to where my daughter works, so it gives me sort of a comfort zone. I couldn't look for anything better. The staff over there was very friendly. They were very courteous to me. As a matter of fact, at luncheon period when I was there, the clients and staff were very courteous to one another. It was like being at home. They're very helpful. Their rooms were spacious, the ones that I have seen. Also, they have an arrangement of different types of activities.

August 27, 2014

Emerald Pond has one main building with three stories, and everything from studio to one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments. They also have some cottages, which is what we have, and these are very nice and they look right out on the lake. The staff is caring and they do take people who really need more care than they can get here, like those who are starting to get a little Alzheimer's or whatever. I think they are more interested in selling the place and making sure that everybody is able to take care of themselves. The food is adequate; it is not gourmet, but it is acceptable. They give us a menu everyday of what is available. There is breakfast, lunch and supper, and they have something for each of those meals. They also have a couple of other things that you can have instead if you don't want what they are serving, so they always have something else. They have lots and lots of activities here. They have Bingo, pool, card games, and outings -- once a week, I think. They'll go to a restaurant, take you to doctors' appointments and that kind of stuff, or just the shopping center. They have music nights, a beauty salon, and physical therapy. To me, the location is the best thing because it is pretty close to just about anything that you'd want. But it is on this pond, so it feels like you are in the country and it is a pretty peaceful place. It has got its good points and bad points. Because of the pond, there are a lot of geese and they don't always clean up the geese droppings on the sidewalk as I'd like them to, but this is by far its biggest drawback.

May 20, 2014

Emerald Pond was nice. It had a lake. It had very spacious cottages, and the staff was fine. However, the rooms in the apartments were small.

March 16, 2014

By ziolupo

I was a resident at Emerald Pond for 3 months, ending 2 weeks ago (2/28/2014). I was there because I had recently been in the hospital and rehab in Virginia. My daughter wanted me closer to her and thought EP would suffice. After 3 weeks, I knew I couldn't stay there and had to get back home. There were walkers all over the dining room at meals, many caregivers for many of the residents, big band elevator music was played in the hallways, and the age of the residents was much older than I. The food was not what they had advertised at all. The best meal was breakfast. My one-bedroom apartment wasn't bad, but it was located at the parking lot side of the building. There were early morning deliveries from the Sysco food company and trash pick-up from the dumpsters. Very noisy. The "pond" was hyped up to be wonderful, but it didn't matter on the parking lot side. The advertisement also said cable was provided, but neglected to say decent reception could only be attained if you subscribed to a cable provider. That cost extra money. Another problem I had was that my hobbies are cooking and gardening. I could do neither there. No kitchen, no gardening area. Dementia is common with the residents, with very little stimulating conversation. If you are considering this place, think very hard about your needs.

Hello, we regret to see that Emerald Pond did not meet your needs in the past. Please reach out to us if anything has changed or if you would like more information.

February 28, 2014

Emerald Pond is excellent. The management is really good. It's fairly new, but it's very good. The food is pretty decent. The activities are picking up quite a bit. So we're having a good time.

September 24, 2013

By Rita14

I took a tour at Emerald Pond and the place is pretty expensive. They didn't have any one bedroom cottages, only 2. The two-bedroom cottages are suited for married couples. I remember that they thought that it was a big deal that it was kind of on the pond and then they had a lot of ducks. The only thing that I could see was that the ducks made a huge mass on the trail or the sidewalk that you had to walk.

Questions about Emerald Pond

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Emerald Pond. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What transportation services does Emerald Pond offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Emerald Pond exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does Emerald Pond offer to independent living residents?

If Emerald Pond accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Does Emerald Pond work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for Emerald Pond

Photos of Emerald Pond

Services and Amenities of Emerald Pond

• Housing Extra: Cottages, Handicap Barrier Free Units Available, Individual Climate Control, Safety Rails In Bathroom, Telephone Hookup, Walk In Tub

• Dining Extra: Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Parking: Covered

• Technology Extra: Business Center, Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About Emerald Pond

Emerald Pond is located in Durham, NC, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to Emerald Pond for a visit...and stay!

Map of Emerald Pond