The Arbors at Islandia East

Reviews of The Arbors at Islandia East

Assisted Living Reviews for The Arbors at Islandia East

August 31, 2015

By Serge2

I lived at The Arbors of Islandia West for about a month. It's a beautiful place; however, I have some problems with medicines, and that is why I decided to leave, but the place is exquisite. The food was OK. We have lots of activities there. I would recommend it to anybody.

August 27, 2015

By Roberta19

It was bright and cheerful, and the person who took us around was very nice and helpful. I liked the apartments. I had gone to a few other places, and they only had studios. At The Arbor, I will get a one-bedroom. When you first walk in, you walk into a big common area like a living room, then the dining room area, but there were no kitchens in these places. The living space was separated from the bedroom and bath area. It had a lot of shelves and drawers, and it had a refrigerator in there. The bathroom was on the right side, which was big and beautiful, and to the back was the bedroom. It's a fairly good sized unit, and it had a big window, so it was nice and bright. They serve three meals a day, and they have a menu that you can choose from, which is quite a nice selection. They have arts, painting, a small gym, and music classes, and they take you out a couple times a week to the shopping mall or to the bank once a week. They have trips that take you to your place of interest on the island. I do a lot of hobbies like knitting, crocheting, and painting, and I could teach a couple of classes there. I saw a couple of the residents, and they seemed happy. There were three different sections. I would be going in the East where everybody is mobile and can take care of themselves, which is more like an apartment complex. The West side has people who need a little more help. Then they have the nursing home on the other side. You can go from every level down to where you will eventually wind up. If I have the surgery, they have people that would come in and help me with the rehab. It seemed like everything was available that I would want. They also told me I could do a trial month. If I wasn't sure, they would let me come and pay for a month and stay there and see how I like it before I sign up, which I thought was nice. I also chose it because the location is closer to my family members, and also the price is more in my range.

August 21, 2015

By Anonymous111937450

The Arbors at Islandia East was nice. They gave us a hamburger and a salad. I did not care for the room. I only saw one, and it was a shared room. The staff showed us the movie room, and I think she said they had a bingo room. She also showed us the beauty parlor.

August 13, 2015

The staff was nice at The Arbors at Islandia West. The people seemed very contented, and they were eating lunch or dinner when I visited the place. Everything was very nice, but to me it was too small and too confining. I need some more airy, more wide-opened space.

June 21, 2015

By Morgan4

The place is beautiful. Love the separate sitting room, kitchenette (no cooking is allowed) huge bedroom and huge bathroom. It's all inclusive with your meals, in facility movies and other activities. They also do medication management and assist with bathing at no extra charge. We found it got very very expensive at other places when you started to add medication management, assistance with bathing and you can go fairly far with care before having to move your loved one into a nursing home. So far we haven't been able to get my Mother in law to agree to go. She has lead a very sheltered life refusing to make ANY decisions no matter how simple. She doesn't want to leave our home but we can no longer care for her.

June 14, 2015

By L. Bohm

The Arbors was very big. It was not brand new, but it seemed very well taken care of. We checked out everything. We saw them eating, so the food looked good, and the rooms were nice. We were taken to different rooms -- small and large -- and also to their dementia unit. They showed us that there were all these options. In other words, you could go in being perfect needing assisted living, get illnesses, and then be put into different programs and areas. So you're not just thrown out for needing assistance. They were very informative. They really wanted us to come there, so they knew we were considering a couple of places. Entertainment seemed great. We happened to go one time, and I think they were doing either Bingo or some kind of an auction, and they had a hair salon. They do everything. They take care of these people really well, it was clean, and the staff was helpful and good.

May 05, 2015

By Sally32

The Arbors at Islandia West was close to our home, and we liked it. Our relative liked the surroundings, and he is doing very well there. He can go out on trips and to restaurants. They take care of his clothing and medical management. They make sure he showers, and he is dressed everyday. He eats very well, and he is very happy with the food. The people are very nice. Everyone that works there is very involved with the residents, and they are very attentive.

February 28, 2015

I had a short visit at The Arbors. I came in originally to the assisted living part where people were free to do whatever they wanted, but people were sleeping all over the place, like they were falling asleep in their chairs. It just didn't seemed active. My overall sense was that it felt like the ceilings were low, and it felt like a hospital the way that it was set up at the nurses station. However, they told me at that time that they were going through a huge renovation and everything would be changing which was fine. I was sure it would be wonderful, but not at that moment. Although I understood that they were going through renovations, at the time I visited, it just felt dated, dreary, and dark, but I was sure that would be addressed during their current renovation.

January 15, 2015

I was impressed with everything and the pricing structure at The Arbors at Islandia West. The staff were helpful. The rooms were on the small side, and the dining room was fine.

November 01, 2014

By Rose31

My aunt is in The Arbors, and she has made a wonderful transition. Everything was wonderful there. They were caring, they made her comfortable, and they made me comfortable. I have nothing bad to say although they lost her first batch of clothes due to confusion. Every time I went there, my aunt was wonderful and she liked The Arbors.

October 24, 2014

By Susan72324050

The Arbors is a very nice facility. It is clean, and the staff is very helpful and very supportive. My mother is very comfortable there, and I am very happy. It is in a very commercial area; it is right adjacent to a very busy highway, but my mother has dementia, so she doesn't really get to go out much and it is OK. I think it would be better if she had more access to the outdoors because there is no direct access to the outside. She has to be accompanied down the hall, down the elevator, and then outside, so sometimes that makes it a little difficult, but other than that it seems to be fine. The staff is delightful. They are polite, very pleasant, and very caring. Their furniture should be more conducive to the elderly.

July 31, 2014

By MomsAdvocate1

My mother was in the Arbors for about a year and a half following a hip replacement. This is a social facility, with the emphasis on activities and care. They have a bistro where she and her friends spent many an evening enjoying snacks and talking about the important issues of the day. The have a full calendar of activities and trips nearly every day. This is a nice and reasonably priced facility if you or your loved one is relatively self sufficient but needs a little assistance. I would recommend this facility for people looked at an assisted living environment.. My mother has macular degeneration (which makes her legally blind) but she was able to participate in many of the activities. The staff has a knack for bringing out the fun in most of the residents!

May 20, 2014

By Ellen24

The Arbors Islandia is not a very well-run place. The food is not nutritional, it's terrible and very institutional. Mom's been there several months, and we're looking to switch her to maybe home care. The staff is not good. I think it's a poorly run place. They don't communicate very well with the residents and the family. You don't get much communication whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend it. It's an all-inclusive facility, meaning that there aren't tiers of expenses, so everything is included: meds, daily living care, housekeeping, and laundry. There's no extra hidden costs. The rooms are tight. Mom has a roommate. They don't really provide a lot of extras. They might make you think they do. They might have some kind of an exercise program in the morning. I know they have a van that takes you out to scheduled outings. They might have a speaker, play cards, bingo, or have a singer in for holidays; that's about it. I can't say it really engages everyone. Maybe the more active people who want to get out of their rooms sit down in the living room. They could improve on the efficiency which they deliver the medications to the residents at meals. You got to sit and wait. It's very drag out thing and that's probably my mother's biggest complaint; that and the quality of the food.

August 21, 2012

By rb5476

The Arbors seemed like a pretty good place. All the employees were very friendly whenever we had to interact with them. They had lots of different services available. A daily happy hour, field trips to different parks and restaurants. Also, there was daily card games, a movie room, and mass on Sundays. During meals, they would always offer us one if we were there at the time. Of course, there were some negatives. Towards the end, it seemed that they were only after our money, with less concern for our grandmother. They kept pushing for her to get more help, which would mean paying more money. It is not to say she did not need more assistance, but the way it came off made it appear it was only about getting more money. My grandmother did make some friends there, but she was never very happy there and the rest of the elderly all seemed to just sit there and did not look to happy, but it can't be easy to have no real options but an assisted living place. I haven't had experience with any other types of assisted living facilities but this one didn't seem to be overly great or bad. I would say this was an average place.

June 29, 2012

By Tschultz4

My experience with the Arbors Assisted Living Home was simply outstanding. First, I knew the manager through family ties so my grandfather was ensured a great experience. The living home was a commendable place full of caring, nurturing environment. The staff did all they could to ensure that my grandfather had everything that he needed to continue living at a functional level. The programs that the staff ran were something I have never seen in any other assisted living community. For example, there was a Wii Bowling night where the residents came out to enjoy some company and video games. The facilities were also top-notch. The rooms were always clean, the common room areas were spotless, and the different areas of the home were kept in check at all times. The only negatives I had with the Arbors Assisted Living Home were that at times it was very expensive. However, the service was extremely worth the price. I would highly recommend the home for others looking for an excellent and caring environment.

November 17, 2011

By CFH

My Grandpa lived there until his passing. The staff really liked him and posted his picture in their break room as one of their "Angels". The facility appeared to have nothing to hide, as they encouraged my mother to visit often. She went nearly everyday and saw the individualized care he recieved. I liked that the residents were really treated as adults and as individuals. They even have a happy hour and my Grandpa was given his favorites. The staff also helped him organize card games. I felt he was safe and comfortable.

August 22, 2011

By babson

When looking for an assisted living facility for a loved one ask yourself one question" would I want to live here?" After visiting The Arbors West our decision would be NOT to place our loved one in their care. Why? Most importantly because the people who live their do not seem to be "engaged" in meaningful activities. The residents were just sitting around watching TV. Other AL Facilities we've seen have their residents involved in activities that keep our loved ones moving; both physically and mentally. So, just do your homework when choosing any assisted living for those you love.

Services and Amenities of The Arbors at Islandia East

• Pets: No Pets

About The Arbors at Islandia East

The dedicated professionals at The Arbors Islandia West are eager to show you why few other assisted living communities can compare to us for beautiful surroundings, exceptional amenities and the peace of mind in knowing that a caring staff is available when needed. Come see for yourself, we?re sure you?ll agree...The Arbors Islandia West is among Long Island?s most desirable communities.

The Arbors Islandia West is centrally located just off the Long Island Expressway, Exit 57, an easy drive from almost anywhere on Long Island. Close to shopping, restaurants, banking and many other destinations, The Arbors Islandia West is ideally situated for residents as well as visiting family and friends.

*Discount available for Veterans, their surviving spouses, children, and grandchildren of 5%-20% off our monthly rate, every month.

Map of The Arbors at Islandia East