The Arbors at Islandia East

Reviews of The Arbors at Islandia East

Assisted Living Reviews for The Arbors at Islandia East

April 02, 2021

By E.A.

My Mother has been at the Arbors at Islandia East for about 5 years now. She has made friends with some nice people, is comfortable and loves the fact that she has help, but is independent. The staff is very responsive and has done a very good job of keeping the residents safe during this difficult pandemic. Mom is happy, and safe.....and I'm happy too.

October 02, 2020

By Latesha

Mom moved into The Arbors at Islandia West. It's really good, the staff is nice, pleasant, efficient, and they know how to take care of my mom. She said the food is great. They do activity, they have activities every day, they get to go outside, they watch movies, and they have a family room, and they're able to have their own personal TV. They have a hair salon, they also do laundry, and they provide the food and snacks. They just started the visiting, that's another good thing, I get to visit her now.

September 27, 2020

By Azookra

I have had my Aunt at The Arbors Islandia East since the beginning of 2020, and it's hard to really express how positive an experience this has been for both her and her loved ones. My Aunt had the beginnings of dementia and was really struggling to live alone without 24x7 help, which was financially impossible. As a result she was often anxious, angry, lonely, and open to predators who took advantage of her. We worried constantly about her health and safety. At the Arbors she has 24x7 safety and comfort. The Arbors has become a happy home for her. She has a spacious 1 BR with a separate sitting room and bathroom, which she has settled into very well. There was a period of transition for a few weeks initially (as would be expected) but the team at the Arbors found a way to get her involved with activities and get her interacting with other residents, so she quickly found friends in both the resident and staff communities. Everyone has been just wonderful, attentive, and extremely accommodating. The Arbors staff have looked out for my Aunt's specific needs from day one, and have managed to successfully guide her through an especially difficult time with the lock-downs associated with Covid over the past few months. I cannot imagine what my Aunt's life (or our lives!) would have looked like under this pandemic if not for the Arbors and their team. They have looked after her health extremely well and the team has been able to quickly identify and address any issues which surfaced. Financially, she is even better off living in the Arbors when compared to her life living alone with all the in-home aids we were paying for. The financial value of the Arbors cannot be overlooked, but the real proof to me is how much happier she is now compared to this time last year - it's night and day. Thank you to the Arbors for taking such good care of my Aunt, for greatly reducing the stress and pressure on all of her loved ones, and for helping all of our lives improve!

October 29, 2019

By JKV

My mom moved into the Arbors of Islandia almost a year ago. At first, we were very concerned how my mom would adjust, since she was at home with my dad, but now she would be by herself. The staff at the Arbors is friendly and very helpful. They stop to talk to my mom and encourage her to participate in daily activities. She’s made several friends. Now we see my mom is feeling more at home. She’s getting physically and emotionally stronger everyday!

October 28, 2019

By Mausie

My godmother had recently moved into The Arbors East Islandia. The room is beautiful and it meets all her needs. All the staff have been friendily and extremely helpful. They always have a smile and are there to assist when needed. The staff are warm and compassionate! They do extra things for the residents because they care about them like they are their own family. The activities are community focused and are entertaining. Every time when visit my godmother has a smile and has been pleased with what The Arbors has to offer to her.

October 16, 2019

By Caregiver Roni

My Dad presently lives at The Arbors in Islandia. Their pricing is "all inclusive". Something hard to find these days. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. They have several gathering sites where the residents come together to play games, have snacks and socialize. There is a media room, a game/bingo room even vending machines. The dining room is large and accommodating. You can even use the special dining area for family get-togethers with your loved one. The staff will listen to suggestions and act upon your requests. They are always there to help. During the day, they have recreational events in the main area. They play trivia games, bring in entertainment, play other games and do chair exercises. Best of all, the staff does everything they can to make your loved one feel welcomed and assist them with getting settled in an acclimated. I would truly recommend this facility.

October 15, 2019

By Linda Rob

Finding a facility for my husband was a very difficult decision. I had checked out a few but, somehow, when I went to the Arbors in Islandia I felt my husband was going to get the care he needed. Everyone there is so caring to your needs. The staff, right down to the maintenance team is so very, very respectful. There are activities always going on and music playing. My husband loves Sunday football and when I mentioned that to the staff, they made sure he got to see it. There isn't anything they wouldn't do for their residents. I personally want to thank each and every one of the staff for helping at a tough time.

September 30, 2019

By fam5718

To start i must tell you i checked about 6 places out before i choose the Arbors at east islandia for my mother. also i am 37 miles away in each direction which shows how much i liked the place. the rooms are great she is in a shared room and loves it. the staff is fantastic with me and my mom.the staff keeps me informed of all her medical conditions and her check ups.mom enjoys all the activties especially the bus trips. they do everything. mom loves the food i also tasted it and it is very good and they offer many chooses of food at each meal..bottom line i am soo happy i picked the Arbors at east islandia.if you are looking for a place i highly recommend checking them out i promise youwill love it

September 28, 2019

By FRK

My mother’s been at The Arbors East over a year and a half and it was the best decision we could’ve made. She loves the staff, everyone is friendly and exceptionally good to her. She is very happy with the food, the quality and selection and, as she puts it “the goodies” in the afternoon. She plays mahjongg, canasta, and several card games. She participates in the trips out on their bus, to the movies and stores, but not to the restaurants because she says she likes the food there, so why bother. Her medical care is taken care of by the efficient Wellness Center and the doctors who visit her there regularly. All-in-all we couldn’t be happier - highly recommended!

September 27, 2019

By zper

Overall, the Arbors at Islandia East has been a great place for my grandmother to be. There have certainly been some issues along the way, but the administrative staff have always been reassuring and have worked very hard to help us and my grandmother adjust to her new home. They have been very attentive to her health as well, which is extremely important when considering a facility.

January 31, 2018

By JFRN

I would give no stars, but the most of the staff were nice and very helpful. My mother began her stay at The Arbors walking the hallway with a walker and enjoying conversing with peers and staff. Not even 2 months after her admission she was a shell of the person she was at admission. Her conversations consisted of one word answers, and most times she was incoherent. She was discharged to the hospital with dehydration and a UTI. Her basic needs were not being met. Water/fluids were not given to her a regular intervals; she was unable to obtain it by herself. She was overmedicated with an antianxiety medication; even though I had asked for the medication to be discontinued. As a matter of fact, it had been increased without my knowledge. Concerns were constantly being brought up to staff; my sister and I had to constantly be on top of mom's care. If your loved one only needs a place for supervision; if they can take care of themselves, then maybe this might be a good place for you. Mom was on the "Secure unit" and the care was horribly lacking. I have written to the Director regarding these issues and have not received any response.

May 06, 2017

By Fred441808

The Arbors is good. It seems to have good programs, good facilities, and good care, and the rooms are nice. Mom said the meals are nice, too. The place is clean, well-run, and they have good activities.

January 27, 2017

By jml2112

My father is in the arbors currently. We are looking at alternative placement. They say they will help with daily living activities, which they will for a short time. but then the residents are on their own. You have to be on top of wellness to make sure your family is getting the help they need. And they have one receptionist that is no help anytime we call. Her name is Roz, She needs a different position, she should be helpful to families and resident when they call the desk for help but she is not. She says she will help but then does nothing.

October 02, 2016

By mr video

my mom has been a resident of arbors west since may of 2015,i moved my mom from an assisted living facility in New Jersey,she was allowed to self medicate there,not a good idea for a 93 yr old,since she has been here she has made giant steps,she has activities night and day,she has friends there and is doing great, I highly recommend this facilty,i have no problem reaching the staff with any concerns I might have, Food is ok,she constantly telling me that she is very comfortable here and since I live nearby I can see her any time I want and to take her out anytime I wish.

September 28, 2016

By LilyKylie12

My Mom moved into The Arbors Assisted Living one year ago at the age of 92. My Dad had passed about 10 years prior, and she was living with her son and daughter in law. She was home most of the time alone staring at the walls or the TV. We brought her to The Arbors and she came to life again. She is never in her room and loves all of the activities, food, residents. I have not seen her this happy for a very long time. Now her children and grandchildren and great children can enjoy her and not have to worry about her being alone, and her care is taken care of, they can just enjoy her. The Arbors has been a blessing to say the lest.

April 25, 2016

By William123456650

We picked The Arbors East in Islandia (The Arbors at Islandia East). My in-laws have now been there for a month and a half to two months now. It is a nice, clean facility with a wide variety of people. The food looks good. The space itself is clean, large, and seems to have enough facilities. The community both has the assisted living and the memory care areas, and they work near each other. It is near my home. They do a decent job on the assisted living, but my in-laws are in the memory care, and it seems somewhat restrictive; maybe too restrictive. The best thing about the Arbors is that their pricing is all-inclusive, so there aren't suprises in terms of the service.

March 16, 2016

By charlesb

My father has been a resident of the Arbors in Islandia for over a year now. Here are his thoughts and experiences: He doesn't like the food and eats out most of the time. While he likes many of the people that work there, he feels that some of the help needs better training. He also thinks that the staff members turn over too frequently. He has had staff members enter his room unannounced, even though he had made his desire to not be disturb known. Last week someone from outside of the facility approached him in the public lobby and asked him for change of $100. He provided change and the next day learned that the $100 bill was counterfeit. He has been informed that this is his problem, as the Arbors does not provide financial management for him. His rent, which is over $4000 per month, was raised by 5% after the first year.

We are extremely sorry that you and/ or your father feel this way. As we have shared with you, we do not want your father to be unhappy and as previously suggested we would be happy to assist your father in finding a new community.

September 07, 2015

We actually have our aunt at the Arbors already. It is close and convenient, and it is a perfect fit for her. The staff is very pleasant, very friendly, and very warm, and they make her feel great. She just went in there and is very happy. The rooms are very clean and very nice. I like the way it is set up. I like the rooms, and she likes her room.

August 31, 2015

By Serge2

I lived at The Arbors of Islandia West for about a month. It's a beautiful place; however, I have some problems with medicines, and that is why I decided to leave, but the place is exquisite. The food was OK. We have lots of activities there. I would recommend it to anybody.

August 27, 2015

By Roberta19

It was bright and cheerful, and the person who took us around was very nice and helpful. I liked the apartments. I had gone to a few other places, and they only had studios. At The Arbor, I will get a one-bedroom. When you first walk in, you walk into a big common area like a living room, then the dining room area, but there were no kitchens in these places. The living space was separated from the bedroom and bath area. It had a lot of shelves and drawers, and it had a refrigerator in there. The bathroom was on the right side, which was big and beautiful, and to the back was the bedroom. It's a fairly good sized unit, and it had a big window, so it was nice and bright. They serve three meals a day, and they have a menu that you can choose from, which is quite a nice selection. They have arts, painting, a small gym, and music classes, and they take you out a couple times a week to the shopping mall or to the bank once a week. They have trips that take you to your place of interest on the island. I do a lot of hobbies like knitting, crocheting, and painting, and I could teach a couple of classes there. I saw a couple of the residents, and they seemed happy. There were three different sections. I would be going in the East where everybody is mobile and can take care of themselves, which is more like an apartment complex. The West side has people who need a little more help. Then they have the nursing home on the other side. You can go from every level down to where you will eventually wind up. If I have the surgery, they have people that would come in and help me with the rehab. It seemed like everything was available that I would want. They also told me I could do a trial month. If I wasn't sure, they would let me come and pay for a month and stay there and see how I like it before I sign up, which I thought was nice. I also chose it because the location is closer to my family members, and also the price is more in my range.

August 21, 2015

By Anonymous111937450

The Arbors at Islandia East was nice. They gave us a hamburger and a salad. I did not care for the room. I only saw one, and it was a shared room. The staff showed us the movie room, and I think she said they had a bingo room. She also showed us the beauty parlor.

August 13, 2015

The staff was nice at The Arbors at Islandia West. The people seemed very contented, and they were eating lunch or dinner when I visited the place. Everything was very nice, but to me it was too small and too confining. I need some more airy, more wide-opened space.

June 21, 2015

By Morgan4

The place is beautiful. Love the separate sitting room, kitchenette (no cooking is allowed) huge bedroom and huge bathroom. It's all inclusive with your meals, in facility movies and other activities. They also do medication management and assist with bathing at no extra charge. We found it got very very expensive at other places when you started to add medication management, assistance with bathing and you can go fairly far with care before having to move your loved one into a nursing home. So far we haven't been able to get my Mother in law to agree to go. She has lead a very sheltered life refusing to make ANY decisions no matter how simple. She doesn't want to leave our home but we can no longer care for her.

June 14, 2015

By L. Bohm

The Arbors was very big. It was not brand new, but it seemed very well taken care of. We checked out everything. We saw them eating, so the food looked good, and the rooms were nice. We were taken to different rooms -- small and large -- and also to their dementia unit. They showed us that there were all these options. In other words, you could go in being perfect needing assisted living, get illnesses, and then be put into different programs and areas. So you're not just thrown out for needing assistance. They were very informative. They really wanted us to come there, so they knew we were considering a couple of places. Entertainment seemed great. We happened to go one time, and I think they were doing either Bingo or some kind of an auction, and they had a hair salon. They do everything. They take care of these people really well, it was clean, and the staff was helpful and good.

May 05, 2015

By Sally32

The Arbors at Islandia West was close to our home, and we liked it. Our relative liked the surroundings, and he is doing very well there. He can go out on trips and to restaurants. They take care of his clothing and medical management. They make sure he showers, and he is dressed everyday. He eats very well, and he is very happy with the food. The people are very nice. Everyone that works there is very involved with the residents, and they are very attentive.

February 28, 2015

I had a short visit at The Arbors. I came in originally to the assisted living part where people were free to do whatever they wanted, but people were sleeping all over the place, like they were falling asleep in their chairs. It just didn't seemed active. My overall sense was that it felt like the ceilings were low, and it felt like a hospital the way that it was set up at the nurses station. However, they told me at that time that they were going through a huge renovation and everything would be changing which was fine. I was sure it would be wonderful, but not at that moment. Although I understood that they were going through renovations, at the time I visited, it just felt dated, dreary, and dark, but I was sure that would be addressed during their current renovation.

January 15, 2015

I was impressed with everything and the pricing structure at The Arbors at Islandia West. The staff were helpful. The rooms were on the small side, and the dining room was fine.

November 01, 2014

By Rose31

My aunt is in The Arbors, and she has made a wonderful transition. Everything was wonderful there. They were caring, they made her comfortable, and they made me comfortable. I have nothing bad to say although they lost her first batch of clothes due to confusion. Every time I went there, my aunt was wonderful and she liked The Arbors.

October 24, 2014

By Susan72324050

The Arbors is a very nice facility. It is clean, and the staff is very helpful and very supportive. My mother is very comfortable there, and I am very happy. It is in a very commercial area; it is right adjacent to a very busy highway, but my mother has dementia, so she doesn't really get to go out much and it is OK. I think it would be better if she had more access to the outdoors because there is no direct access to the outside. She has to be accompanied down the hall, down the elevator, and then outside, so sometimes that makes it a little difficult, but other than that it seems to be fine. The staff is delightful. They are polite, very pleasant, and very caring. Their furniture should be more conducive to the elderly.

July 31, 2014

By MomsAdvocate1

My mother was in the Arbors for about a year and a half following a hip replacement. This is a social facility, with the emphasis on activities and care. They have a bistro where she and her friends spent many an evening enjoying snacks and talking about the important issues of the day. The have a full calendar of activities and trips nearly every day. This is a nice and reasonably priced facility if you or your loved one is relatively self sufficient but needs a little assistance. I would recommend this facility for people looked at an assisted living environment.. My mother has macular degeneration (which makes her legally blind) but she was able to participate in many of the activities. The staff has a knack for bringing out the fun in most of the residents!

May 20, 2014

By Ellen24

The Arbors Islandia is not a very well-run place. The food is not nutritional, it's terrible and very institutional. Mom's been there several months, and we're looking to switch her to maybe home care. The staff is not good. I think it's a poorly run place. They don't communicate very well with the residents and the family. You don't get much communication whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend it. It's an all-inclusive facility, meaning that there aren't tiers of expenses, so everything is included: meds, daily living care, housekeeping, and laundry. There's no extra hidden costs. The rooms are tight. Mom has a roommate. They don't really provide a lot of extras. They might make you think they do. They might have some kind of an exercise program in the morning. I know they have a van that takes you out to scheduled outings. They might have a speaker, play cards, bingo, or have a singer in for holidays; that's about it. I can't say it really engages everyone. Maybe the more active people who want to get out of their rooms sit down in the living room. They could improve on the efficiency which they deliver the medications to the residents at meals. You got to sit and wait. It's very drag out thing and that's probably my mother's biggest complaint; that and the quality of the food.

August 21, 2012

By rb5476

The Arbors seemed like a pretty good place. All the employees were very friendly whenever we had to interact with them. They had lots of different services available. A daily happy hour, field trips to different parks and restaurants. Also, there was daily card games, a movie room, and mass on Sundays. During meals, they would always offer us one if we were there at the time. Of course, there were some negatives. Towards the end, it seemed that they were only after our money, with less concern for our grandmother. They kept pushing for her to get more help, which would mean paying more money. It is not to say she did not need more assistance, but the way it came off made it appear it was only about getting more money. My grandmother did make some friends there, but she was never very happy there and the rest of the elderly all seemed to just sit there and did not look to happy, but it can't be easy to have no real options but an assisted living place. I haven't had experience with any other types of assisted living facilities but this one didn't seem to be overly great or bad. I would say this was an average place.

June 29, 2012

By Tschultz4

My experience with the Arbors Assisted Living Home was simply outstanding. First, I knew the manager through family ties so my grandfather was ensured a great experience. The living home was a commendable place full of caring, nurturing environment. The staff did all they could to ensure that my grandfather had everything that he needed to continue living at a functional level. The programs that the staff ran were something I have never seen in any other assisted living community. For example, there was a Wii Bowling night where the residents came out to enjoy some company and video games. The facilities were also top-notch. The rooms were always clean, the common room areas were spotless, and the different areas of the home were kept in check at all times. The only negatives I had with the Arbors Assisted Living Home were that at times it was very expensive. However, the service was extremely worth the price. I would highly recommend the home for others looking for an excellent and caring environment.

November 17, 2011

By CFH

My Grandpa lived there until his passing. The staff really liked him and posted his picture in their break room as one of their "Angels". The facility appeared to have nothing to hide, as they encouraged my mother to visit often. She went nearly everyday and saw the individualized care he recieved. I liked that the residents were really treated as adults and as individuals. They even have a happy hour and my Grandpa was given his favorites. The staff also helped him organize card games. I felt he was safe and comfortable.

August 22, 2011

By babson

When looking for an assisted living facility for a loved one ask yourself one question" would I want to live here?" After visiting The Arbors West our decision would be NOT to place our loved one in their care. Why? Most importantly because the people who live their do not seem to be "engaged" in meaningful activities. The residents were just sitting around watching TV. Other AL Facilities we've seen have their residents involved in activities that keep our loved ones moving; both physically and mentally. So, just do your homework when choosing any assisted living for those you love.

Memory Care Reviews for The Arbors at Islandia East

Services and Amenities of The Arbors at Islandia East

• Pets: No Pets

About The Arbors at Islandia East

The dedicated professionals at The Arbors Islandia West are eager to show you why few other assisted living communities can compare to us for beautiful surroundings, exceptional amenities and the peace of mind in knowing that a caring staff is available when needed. Come see for yourself, we?re sure you?ll agree...The Arbors Islandia West is among Long Island?s most desirable communities.

The Arbors Islandia West is centrally located just off the Long Island Expressway, Exit 57, an easy drive from almost anywhere on Long Island. Close to shopping, restaurants, banking and many other destinations, The Arbors Islandia West is ideally situated for residents as well as visiting family and friends.

*Discount available for Veterans, their surviving spouses, children, and grandchildren of 5%-20% off our monthly rate, every month.

Map of The Arbors at Islandia East