Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

Reviews of Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

Independent Living Reviews for Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

September 07, 2015

By Annie18

I liked that there are more staff than managers, and included in the rent is they walk your dogs three times a day. They're also putting in a dog park which is important to my client. The food is excellent, and they have regular activities, i.e., shopping trips, bowling, and bingo. It's a good social environment, and she's pretty happy there. She is in a wheelchair, and she has two dogs, so it's difficult. The dog thing and how excellent their staff is were really very important to her. Nobody else has dog walking included, and it would normally be a couple of hundred dollars to have somebody come and help you with the dogs. That's pretty unique to Senior Star at Las Colinas Village.

January 16, 2015

By Deborah100322950

We visited several places, and Senior Star at Las Colinas Village was the one we liked the best. Everybody has been very nice and has gone above and beyond, and it is a lot better than we even thought it would be. The food is great, and it is made from scratch -- it is not the bought and warmed up kind of stuff. My mother just moved in a couple of days ago, and she hasn't really done activities, but there are lots available. She has a nice room. There is a kitchen, and it is actually a one-bedroom, so it is working out very well for her. It has got a new carpet and new paint, and she needed the bathroom door widened. The very same day we asked for it, they started doing it, and it has been great -- no extra charge on the rent for that. It seems to be very secure. They lock the doors at 9:00 P.M and unlock them at 6:00 A.M, and everyone who comes in has to check in.

August 30, 2014

By Karen91863350

My mother and uncle are both in Las Colinas (Senior Star at Las Colinas Village). My uncle is just right next door to my mom. The employees there are very caring. They are all trained for what is right for memory loss and how to help people who are suffering from some short-term memory loss. It is an independent living, but there is home health care on-site. It isn't our favorite though, because what they did is, they take an existing apartment complex and turn it into independent living. We looked at a newer facility and they have more handicap bathrooms and things like that, but they are much smaller than where they are now. The apartment here is much spacious and they actually work with us and actually replace the bathtub with a handicap walk-in shower before they moved in, and they didn't charge us for that. They have a lot of activities. They have a lot of different exercise programs. They also have exercise equipment for seniors who are motorized, so people can have that full range of motion. The activities director is really great about having all kinds of field trips for the folks. The grounds are very park-like. There is a lot of green space around the apartment complex. It is not my favorite area at Albuquerque, but it is very easily accessible because it is very close to the on and off ramp of the freeway, so it is easy to go to and from.

August 26, 2014

By Lois12

Senior Star has a lovely physical environment. It had two large enclosed gardens which were really beautiful. They have a few apartments in the upper floor and it’s three stories tall. The inside is kept up beautifully. Everything is fine and the upper floors have several apartments that have balconies outside. I had lunch there and everybody would introduce themselves using their first name, even the dishwasher. They allow pets there and every lady seems to have one. They also have somebody who can walk the pets if you cannot do it.

August 14, 2014

By Teresa33

We moved my mother into Senior Star in June. It seems to be perfectly fine. They kept in close contact while she was making her decision, and they made it as easy as possible when the moving time came. It's an apartment. It was much larger than any other places we looked. The mealtimes are extended so that she can go when she wants. She said the food is not wonderful but OK. It's getting to be an older building, and it does need some updating, which they have started. They've put in new elevator interiors.

February 27, 2014

Senior Star at Las Colinas Village looked and felt like a hospital. It also smelled moldy. Their activity director was a little bit of a busybody. She gossiped about everybody. The staff there was mean to me. The maintenance person just snapped at me. I tried to talk to him but he just yelled all over me again. After that incident, the director said to me that if I said anything negative about the place, she would kick me out right on the spot. It freaked me out. I actually almost had an anxiety attack when she said that. I was there for only five months. I got the heck out of there after she made that threat. At Las Colinas Village, people were leaving. They had like 20% vacancy and they were just taking whoever they could get. They were only independent living but half of their residents there should be in a more of Alzheimer's type unit. They shouldn't take people in there that really need different care. They had a lot of problems with them. They had alcoholics, they had people that wander off, etc. They were desperate so that they were just taking whoever needs a place. However, with regards to food, they were actually better than the other facility. It was pretty good and you can get as much as you want.

January 31, 2014

We visited Las Colinas Village in Albuquerque and the facility is too crowded with all the people and the furniture that they have. I don’t like it as far as space in concerned because I am in a little wheelchair and it would be difficult for me to maneuver in such crowded places. Their staff is very friendly and they are wonderful. They had me for lunch and their food is extremely good.

August 04, 2011

By ecs

My family had placed my maternal grandmother in Las Colinas Village after her husband was lost to Alzheimers. The reason for placing her in this particular facility was due to is location, which is within easy access to the freeway, as my family members make frequent visits that last over the weekend. What impressed me about Las Colinas Village was the attention of the staff. When my mother and I would make trips we would arrive late at night and someone would always be able to greet us and let us inside. The staff was also commendable in their ability to remember many of the residence that surprised me on every trip and helped in creating a very friendly atmosphere. But the best feature about Las Colinas was the calender of activities that the home provides to residents. In the case of my grandmother, this helped her in the death of her husband. My only gripe with the facility is that each of the apartments has an intercom system installed to notify all residents about events and the dishes served for the day. However the speaker works at a low volume and my grandmother is quite hard of hearing. Yet she is still able to keep up due to the event calenders the home delivers.

Questions about Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Senior Star at Las Colinas Village. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The residents at Las Colinas Village are what makes our community special. Everyone is lively and help to care for each other. The bonds they have with each other is something truly special. The average age is in the early 80's, although the ages range from 56 to 99. Some of the most attended activities are morning exercise, social hours, bingo and live music on Friday.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Senior Star at Las Colinas Village has organized?

Our residents enjoy getting out and exploring all that New Mexico has to offer. Recent off-site trips include: BioPark, local Casino's, Nuclear Museum, different restaurant weekly, Opera, Fort Union National Monument, and Acoma Sky CIty. We also will go to Santa Fe a couple times per year, and have traveled as far as Taos, NM.

What transportation services does Senior Star at Las Colinas Village offer to independent living residents?

Transportation Services are included in the monthly rates. Monday thru Thursday, medical appointments take precedence. Friday's we go on a special trip and will fit in any medical appointments as needed. Saturdays are store trips. Sundays we go to any Church within a 6 mile radius of our property, and go for a Sunday Drive.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

There are several common areas at Las Colinas Village. When you first enter our property, you will notice the Los Amigos Lounge. This Lounge acts as a second living room for the residents (when it is not being used for an activity). Live music, exercise, bingo, and many other activities happen here daily. We have a continued learning center near our front desk. In here you will find residents reading in the library or using one of the 3 computers. We also have our Dakim Brain Fitness machine in this area. If you traveled down the North Hallway, you would find the Fiesta Lounge. In the Fiesta Lounge we have our ShapeMaster equipment, BikeAround, and a pool table. Outside on the South side we have a lovely park and dog park - we love our furry friends at Las Colinas!

What safety features or security measures does Senior Star at Las Colinas Village offer to independent living residents?

Safety is a top priority for us at Las Colinas Village. We are the only gated Independent Living Facility in Albuquerque. We have security cameras in all common areas/hallways and outside of the building. The front desk is manned 24 hours per day, so there is always someone there to keep an eye on the property. Each resident is provided with an emergency pendant. If they need assistance for any reason, they can push this emergency pendant and we will be there within minutes to assist them. Each apartment restroom also has an emergency pull-cord.

If Senior Star at Las Colinas Village accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are a pet friendly community! Dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, gerbils - bring them all. There are weight restrictions for dogs. Dogs can be walked for a minimal additional monthly fee. We do collect a small, non-refundable pet deposit for any pet. Pets are allowed on any floor and in any apartment.

Does Senior Star at Las Colinas Village work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Gemini Home Health is on site 24 hours per day at Las Colinas Village. Gemini allows residents to age-in-place in an independent setting. Gemini is able to assist residents with the activities of daily living (ie: dressing, bathing, toileting, etc.). Gemini also provides a Registered Nurse Monday thru Friday. She is able to manage medications for residents at Las Colinas Village. All services provided by Gemini Home Health come at an additional fee.

Photos of Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

Services and Amenities of Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

About Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

Las Colinas Village is an independent living and retirement living community in Albuquerque, New Mexico. At Las Colinas Village, we share a common goal with every family who walks through our doors: We want the best for our seniors. Decades of experience have shown us giving "our all", frankly, isn't enough. Seniors at Las Colinas Village are experiencing the possibilities, reaching their potential and living each day to its fullest. We see it as our responsibility (and great privilege) to provide the opportunities and inspiration for our residents to embrace senior living and thrive in their new lifestyle at Las Colinas Village.

Last Colinas Village is a Senior Star Living community. Through the years, we've identified the facets of healthy living that contribute to our residents' total well-being. They include environmental, nutritional, physical, spiritual, mental, and emotional factors. We combine them to keep the twinkle in the eyes of our residents, and we call it our LAUGH philosophy: Living And Understanding Greater Health. It works in many ways through our Senior Star Living communities, like Las Colinas Village. Taking a brain fitness class may contribute to more than mental well-being by building new social relationships and prolonging independence. Breaking bread together in our dining room may nourish more than the body when you consider the lively conversation and positive atmosphere. Our attractive and bright individual residences can provide more than a safe environment when embellished with cherished belongings, personal mementos, or even the companionship of a small pet. Laughter is the best medicine. It all adds up to happier seniors in a healthier community.

Like you, we want the very best for our seniors. Our LAUGH philosophy helps us achieve this together at Las Colinas Village.

Map of Senior Star at Las Colinas Village