John Knox Village Care Center

Reviews of John Knox Village Care Center

Assisted Living Reviews for John Knox Village Care Center

July 31, 2016

By Garry208184

John Knox Village had all the amenities, full continuum of care, and lots of activities. The rooms were nice. They had a snack place with a small sink, small refrigerator, room for microwave, and a coffee pot, and the bathrooms varied in size. The rooms were clean and nice but small. The residents seemed content, happy, out and about, and lively.

June 28, 2016

By S.B.274655

John Knox Village is nice, clean, and had a friendly staff and above average food. The studio apartments were nice. Of course it's not like being at home, but the meals are fine. The dining area was fine and more like restaurant-style dining. It was quiet, and everybody seemed content. I think they should have more activities for the residents.

June 10, 2016

By ArthurUADOV

If the person has the money, it would be nice to retire early at John Knox Village. They go on trips, that you pay for and if you have a doctor’s appointment, that’s all free. They have three different restaurants: a regular dining area with scheduled meals, a coffee shop, and one open 24 hours a day, so if you want a cup of coffee or a hamburger at 2:00 a.m., you just go down there and get it. They are expensive but not out of line. If you’re independent, you can go into a high-rise, multi-level building or a cottage. If you do have to go to assisted living, they have a place for that, too. What I saw of it was about like living in a town. They don’t have any retail in that community but there are quite a few activities just across the street and down across the road, like grocery stores and fast food places, which is nice because you aren’t restricted to just that area. We were looking at a double and single bedrooms with a kitchenette with a refrigerator and a sink. I don’t remember if they had a microwave or not and somehow they don’t provide any stove until you go up to the cottages where they have a stove to prepare your own meals on.

February 15, 2016

By Betty118546050

I'm going to be moving to John Knox Village. My visit was very positive. Everyone was very helpful, cordial, answered all of the questions, and showed me around. I was very pleased. The dining area looked like a regular restaurant, very clean, and very neat. My apartment is very nice. There are many activities. There are two swimming pools, a bowling alley, fishing, golf, and all kinds of clubs.

July 13, 2015

John Knox Village really would be the most interesting to us. We thought it was very adequate, extensive in terms of services. There were variety of living possibilities, so it?s a large enough community that would provide options for community efforts and involvement in what is offered there. It?s close to where our brother lives, plus factor for that community. The staff was a very hospitable person who showed us around; we looked at an apartment, and it would be somewhat to our satisfaction. The rooms were adequate. The place was safe and secure. I know that he had a course that was there that I was very much interested in because I am a singer, so that was interesting for me.

March 17, 2015

John Knox is a very large organization. They cover everything from just apartments to assisted living to nursing home, and they are very prominent here in Lee Summit. I pick them because they have openings, they are reasonable, and they are just right down the road from where I live. It is nice that my parents are in the apartment together with a small kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and a big living room. The staff brings them their medicine. There is a nurse on staff and ENTs next door. All meals are provided, and they say the food is excellent. They have a swimming pool, a golf course, and a fishing pond. They do wood working classes and aerobics. They have all kinds of things.

Independent Living Reviews for John Knox Village Care Center

Nursing Home Reviews for John Knox Village Care Center

October 20, 2016

By Chuck001653

I visited John Knox, and it seemed OK, but it did not have a great reputation for responding to calls, so I decided not to stay there. It seemed like any other nursing home. They had lots of activities. It didn’t seem different from any other place. They seemed to have like regular hospital rooms.

July 30, 2016

By Sheryl556217

John Knox Village was fine. The rooms were small, but I enjoyed it. There's a lot of staff which was impressive. It was clean, and they really take care of their residents, so I was pleased with it overall.

February 15, 2016

By Tim42

John Knox Village Care Center, was the most positive place that we've been to. They were very engaged with their residents who seemed very happy, and well-adjusted. It was very lighted, very tranquil, a lot of opportunities for different types of classes, and ways to get involved with other peers. The place where they would serve lunch wasn't just like a cafeteria. It looked very nice, and they had menus that were very thoughtful for the guests. It was very different than any of the other places we've been to. There's nothing that probably would match that. During lunchtime, you see a very animated group, all excited, all talking, and very happy. If you have somebody that you want to go somewhere where they would feel like they can still have quality life, and be with other people. This was a bit better than the others. The only negative one was the execution of promising to get us there now. All of a sudden they're saying they can't. They put us in a difficult place to not go find some place else. We actually put down a deposit. As far as the environment, it was excellent, and the cost was OK. It was a little high, but considering what they were offering, it was worth it.

January 05, 2016

By my mom has alzheimer's

My mom entered John Knox's memory care III over a week ago. It is a beautiful facility, and everyone, including the other residents were so nice. Sadly, my mom walked out the front door during the day and the center never even knew it! It was in January and very cold outside. To remedy the situation they suggested we hire a full time aide (on top of all that money!) to watch her. Imagine a lock down facility letting a resident elope and then putting the problem on the patient/family's back. After my mom escaped they also sent her to the emergency room so she could be admitted to the geriatric psyche unit at a local hospital, this was to balance her medications in a 2 week hospital setting. The ER told us that she did not meet their criteria of combative, hostile, destructive, etc. She is just a normal little old lady trying to get back to her husband of 60 years and life. OK. Bad call John Knox, trying to ship out your problem. Well, she escaped again, in broad daylight, through the open front door! 2 escapes in less than a week. John Knox this time used an emergency transport to send her back to the ER, who again refused to admit her to the geri psyche unit as unsuitable. We had even cooperated fully and told them the criteria and procedure for admissions to this unit. This has been difficult, expensive and hard on my mom. John Knox desperately needs to get control of their lock down unit so that residents don't continually escape. We are working with them now and hope to see better.

December 14, 2015

By Do Not Buy In

Do not buy in! My mother was very fond of the Village until she entered the Nursing Care Center. The Care Center is decent on the surface but is understaffed and her care was shortchanged. I finally had to remove her. The independent living is great and they are expanding but, if you buy in, then you cannot change your mind when it is time to enter the Care Center. There is no telling the conditions of the future. If you have special needs they cannot address, you are stuck. They will hang that Care Center % discount over your head but a discount is not a good deal if the care is inferior. Better to save that money and have a choice of where to go when that time comes. Both my mother and I were very disappointed as are other patients but they don't have an option to leave.

October 28, 2015

By Caring Son13

My stepmom was in John Knox Village for a while. Everything seemed to be just fine. They did a good job with her. There were no problems that we know of, as far as mistreatment or anything else. My father was able to have lunch or dinner with her while she was there, and he liked the food. They had quite a few activities, and she could have lunch or dinner with other people than just sitting alone in her room, which she liked.

September 29, 2014

John Knox Village Care Center has a wide variety of different apartments and assisted living type of things; they have apartments, homes and duplexes. It's got a pool, billiards, cards, and all that kind of stuff. The staff was professional and courteous.

February 14, 2014

John Knox Village was an old facility. It was all spread out. To take advantage of some of the things they did have, you would have to walk outside and my parents are ninety four and ninety three. I just didn't want that for them. The apartment they had showed us was a comfortable size, the carpet has been replaced and the walls had been painted, so it looked clean, but it was just an older building.

November 27, 2013

By Linda74706350

Our dad is at John Knox Village. It is very affordable. We place him in an independent living there. But he had an accident and the blow in the head increases his memory problem. So, we transition him there to the memory care. Right now, he is progressing and he is going into an assisted memory care. They have several different levels of cares there and I can transition him from different levels of care. The people there are extremely nice. They work with him and they have one-on-one with him. He is set up for physical and occupational therapy. We talk to the therapist and the staff there to work out something that works for him. All the people there seem very nice and easy to get a hold of. They call us every time there is an issue. It just works out really well. My sister and I eat there a couple of times and the food is good. They have four different restaurants that you can choose from. They can also take out food from the restaurant. Part of the package in the independent living includes $180 worth of meals per month and that is affordable as well.

December 22, 2012

By Bobby1

My father had ongoing medical issues relating to alcohol abuse and a need for supervised care. He was extremely ill and was moved taken to a hospital in Michigan, where they didn't expect him to survive. Once his medications were adjusted, he rapidly improved and was moved into a rehabilitation facility in Michigan, but we moved him to John Knox Village in the Kansas City area in order to have him nearer to us. He also had a sore on his foot resulting from poor circulation in his legs. It had been an ongoing problem for nearly 30 years. When he finally had a shunt put into one of his veins, his circulation improved and the sore eventually healed. However, the muscles and tendons in his foot had atrophied to the point where he could only walk on his toes. Within just a few months, the therapists at John Knox had him walking almost normally for the first time in decades. Within nine months, he was able to move back out to live independently. We were very pleased with his results.

November 20, 2012

By 046

This facility was always kept clean and the staff always had a smile on their faces in greeting when we came to visit. My uncle enjoyed his stay with them because he had freedom and still was cared for when he needed it. He enjoyed having his own belongings and when we visited it felt more like home.

October 24, 2012

By Margaret8

This was the best facility I have visited. The best because it was the cleanest and the staff was friendly. There was no nursing home smell. I could tell the staff really cared about the residents. Even the cooks and janitors knew the residents names and took the time to talk to them. The residents seemed happy. My family never had any complaints about the care our relative received. The food never looked too great, but they did change up the menu a lot. They didn't serve the same foods over and over. Everyone's personal bathrooms they had in their rooms were small. Kind of difficult to get a wheelchair up the toilet, but not impossible. They have activities for the residents everyday, including volleyball with a balloon that was fun to watch. Overall it was the cleanest, warmest, and friendliest long term care facility I have visited and as far as they go I would recommend it.

June 21, 2012

By Conrad pemberton

John Know Village's main location in Lee Summit, Missouri has apartments, homes an alzheimer's unit an assisted live units. Will refund deposit at resident's death. Monthly rents are high, depending on living locations. My aunt entered started in an apt.,[2002] & passed away in the Alzheimer's unit in 2006. wonderful care in the Alzheimers unit.

November 21, 2011

By jpica001

Staff is unfriendly, inconsistent with care, and the facility has an extremely high employee turn-over rate. Many of the residents are left alone in their room all day, only to be attended to when food is ready. When we first visited John Knox, we were told they would bring all of the residents that were able to leave their rooms to common areas for daily games like BINGO and Dominos, however my family member has lived there 5+ years and has been invited to BINGO twice. They are constantly moving the residents around, which can be very stressful, when they have to change rooms, layouts, dining tables, and roommates.

Photos of John Knox Village Care Center

About John Knox Village Care Center

Taking care of individual needs with expert, professional care and an abundance of compassion and kindness. It’s been our practice at the Village Care Center for more than 45 years. Our associates work with individuals and their families to create a customized care plan – maintaining personal interests with the focus of achieving a maximum level of independence. Each day and through the night, our focus is to provide skilled medical care with attention to emotional needs and overall wellbeing. Long-term care includes two communities, creating neighborhood-like settings with familiar faces and friends. Family members and loved ones are always welcome and encouraged to visit the neighborhood.

Map of John Knox Village Care Center