3 Memory Care Facilities in Elkhart County, IN
Greenleaf Health Campus1201 East Beardsley Avenue, Elkhart, IN
The Residence at Waterford Crossing1212 Waterford Circle, Goshen, IN
Waterford Crossing1332 Waterford Crossing Circle, Goshen, IN
At A Glance
There are 3 Memory Care communities in the city and surrounding area to choose from, with an average cost of $5,535 per month.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Elkhart County area find the memory care community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 3 memory care communities in the Elkhart County area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Memory Care in Elkhart County
Elkhart County is located in the northern region of Indiana and has about 205,000 residents. The county has a fairly large senior community that makes up about 14 percent of the population, and according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, almost 12 percent of local seniors who receive Medicare benefits are living with Alzheimer's disease or dementia.
In Indiana, including Elkhart County, the official licensure term for memory care facilities is dementia special care units. DSCUs may be situated within an independent facility that only provides care for those with dementia, or they may share a campus with an assisted living facility or nursing home. Elkhart County is home to three memory care facilities, two of which are in the city of Elkhart, and one is in Goshen.
- Indiana seniors pay state income tax on most types of retirement income, including public and private pensions and withdrawals from retirement savings accounts. Social Security income is not taxable, however, which may enable seniors and families to put more money toward memory care in Elkhart County.
- Ozone pollution levels in Elkhart County are moderate, but short-term particle pollution levels are very high, according to the American Lung Association. The county was given a C for ozone pollution and an F for 24-hour particle pollution, which may be a concern for some families researching local memory care options.
- Living costs in Elkhart County are on par with the rest of state and about 13 percent lower than the national average. Healthcare expenses are slightly below the state average and about 20 percent below the national average, which may leave more money in the budget for memory care expenses.
- July highs in Elkhart County are near 83 degrees, winter lows are near 17 degrees and the region enjoys an average of 174 sunny days annually. As they're touring local memory care facilities, families may want to find out how residents are kept safe and comfortable when temperatures are dangerously low.
Paying for Memory Care in Elkhart County
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Indiana
Memory Care costs in Elkhart County start around $5,535 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of memory care is $4,723 per month.
It’s important to note that memory care rates in Elkhart County and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Memory Care in Elkhart County
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Memory Care in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Memory Care
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for memory care, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance memory care costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance memory care, visit our Memory Care in Indiana page.
Free Memory Care Resources in Elkhart County
Elkhart County and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Memory Care Facilities in Elkhart County
Directory of Winners in the Elkhart County Area
Memory Care Laws and Regulations in Elkhart County
Elkhart County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Memory Care in Indiana page for more information about these laws.