Hearthstone at New Horizons Alzheimer Care

Hearthstone at New Horizons Alzheimer Care (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Hearthstone at New Horizons Alzheimer Care

Assisted Living Reviews for Hearthstone at New Horizons Alzheimer Care

March 10, 2015

I toured The New Horizons. It was smaller in structure, and the rooms were smaller. They had a very gracious staff. The facility had everything for the residents. They had a swimming pool, and they had elevators. There was one central area where the dining room was, and they had functions in the activity rooms. I witnessed the people coming down to eat, and they ordered from the menu.

August 31, 2014

By Mary92749450

I went to the New Horizons at Marlborough that does the Montessori type of program, but my husband is not really ready for that yet. It was a wonderful visit. We had a long and big conversation with the fellow who was in-charge of the unit who was really, really amiable and had a lot of energy. He tries to get them to do the things that they used to like doing, and I was very impressed with it. It is also a non-profit facility and my son-in-law, who is an attorney and he does a lot of work in the health care industry, says the best place is to look at a non-profit. The rooms were very nice.

Thank you; we appreciate your kind words about New Horizons and our care partner Hearthstone Alzheimer’s Care. We pride ourselves on the strong relationship that we have between us on our campus (in fact Hearthstone has been an integral part of the community since we opened in 1994)! If, at any point in the future, you feel that your husband needs necessitate a more supportive environment, please feel welcome to contact either our sales office at New Horizons at 508-460-5200 or Hearthstone at 508-4819898 and we will be happy to assist you with whatever services you might need.

Sincerely, NEW HORIZONS AT MARLBOROUGH, LLC

March 27, 2014

New Horizons came recommended by a friend whose mother was there. I didn't like the community. It was older, and the halls were dark and not well lit. The staff was fine and very friendly. But we didn't get a good feeling. We just left. They could make it brighter and more cheerful.

We appreciate your observations and are very glad that your friend encouraged you to visit. We welcome a return visit with our marketing director, to help identify the areas you believe should be brighter. Our intent is to maintain a residential feel, not an institutional one, however, so we do avoid stark lighting. Also, we encourage residents to decorate their apartment doors as they see fit. For April, we have a door-decorating contest to highlight spring; we hope you will return and deem the atmosphere much more cheerful!

March 27, 2014

By Liz23

I was really impressed with New Horizons. It was very good, and I felt the place had a nice feel to it that would suit my parents. I liked the person who gave us the interview. She was very helpful and answered our questions very clearly and appropriately. I liked the rooms very much. They were clean, appropriate, and unique. They were not like out of a cookie cutter. If I had a chance to pick one, I would pick that one.

March 10, 2014

By delsey

My husband has started to be a visitor at Hearthstone in Marlboro, Ma. I can't say enough about the staff; they love what they do and are caring and compassionate.

March 04, 2014

By Judy G.

First time I ever toured a facility like this. i was very pleasantly surprised. I plan to move in to a small indep living unit in May. Seems like a good bundle of services for the cost, and I am ready to divest myself of snow clearing, oil heat buying responsibilities.

January 30, 2014

My mother was at New Horizons for four years. That was a wonderful place for people who had a certain level of independence and my mother lived there and my father did, too. My father was there for five months and he passed away then she was there for another two and a half or so years. They have different levels of assisted living, too. Some people lived there until they go on hospice and then pass away there. It was a great place, a very upbeat place, a lot of wonderful people. They made it very easy for the residents to get to know each other. They had a lot of good activities. I actually taught art classes there once a month. At some point, though, when my mother began having symptoms of dementia, they couldn't handle it. They didn't have any unit for that. New Horizons was great until she couldn't be cared for there anymore.

Thank you for your many very kind comments. We are delighted to know about your family’s positive experience, and we appreciate your contributions as an art instructor. While it is true that New Horizons does not operate its own not-for-profit dementia unit, our campus has been home to the pioneering Hearthstone Alzheimer’s program since shortly after New Horizons opened in 1994. Hearthstone is a private company that operates an enhanced care unit adjacent to the assisted living building, and it has compassionately served many families over the years by providing a secure, enriching, and supportive residence for those struggling with Alzheimer’s or other dementia. We are redoubling our efforts to ensure that New Horizons’ residents and their families, as well as the public, are aware of all of the programs available in the continuum of care at our community.

Sincerely, NEW HORIZONS AT MARLBOROUGH, LLC

November 20, 2013

By CaringSon-in-law0000057

New Horizons was close to one of the sons and he worked in that town so that was one of the deciding factor. My father in law likes it because there's a church right beside the place and he can go to mass everyday if he likes. He moved in about a week ago. I didn't like the rooms so much; they were sort of cramped and I wouldn't call it spacious but it was well maintained. My father in law seemed to be okay there but it's too early to tell.

September 26, 2013

It's a beautiful place and I found no faults with it. I am very, very satisfied when I visited New Horizons. The place is spotless clean.

December 28, 2012

By Aletha

Other

Top notch facility... Incredible management...Impeccable nursing care if needed...delectable meals...beautiful setting on 40 acres of gorgeous grounds...near Marlboro Hospital...Activities for every personality.

June 28, 2012

By Margurite

What's good about this place is that the price is reasonable. I don't have to pay a lot of money and it's very cost effective. I like their apartments because they're very spacious and I love big spaces. I like their large closets too. Their dining room is very spacious for all of the residents. I need to sell my house first within the year and then I will be moving in to this facility.

February 29, 2012

By Pete Z.

My mother-in-law has lived at New Horizons for several years. It is an attractive, clean facility that offers many amenities to those who live there. All of the staff with whom I've interacted have been polite and professional. My family and I have eaten several holiday meals in their dining facility and always found the quality of the food and number of choices quite impressive. Apparently the facility offers several different levels of medical care to their residents; my mother-in-law lives independently in a generously-sized studio apartment. My mother-in-law participates in poetry and book-reading groups, as well as having a regular card-playing circle. They also show classic movies on a large-screen TV, and offer shuttle service to local shopping destinations. When my son was younger, highlights of his visit to "Nana" at New Horizons included using their swimming pool (in which my mother-in-law has also taked Tai Chi classes), baking cookies in the communal kitchenettes provided on each floor, and enjoying the large aquarium (complete with turtles) in the lobby.

Memory Care Reviews for Hearthstone at New Horizons Alzheimer Care

August 04, 2016

By Live with purpose

Let's start by admitting I'm a nurse, and well versed in facility care. Recently, I had the privilege of helping a client move into this facility due to progression of dementia and requiring 24 supervision. I was pleasantly surprised by the level of care, enrichment of programming and all around abilities of the staff. My client, literally, was received with open arms, dignity and just short of a red carpet. From arrival on the property, I never worried or questioned their ability to care for him or for his happiness. From executive director to the cleaning staff and receptionist, they all were honestly and genuinely invested in my client as a person and recognizing importance in maintaining routines and the strengths over deficits. My only regret is that there aren't more facilities providing this level of care as I truly believe this should be the norm. Well done!

December 29, 2015

By songh

My mother has been at Hearthstone for 20 months and I have nothing but positive remarks to share about the facility, the food and, most importantly, the staff and the program. The facility is always neat, clean and well kept. It has a home-like atmosphere that is not at all institutional. The furnishings are comfortable and the interior décor contribute to the warmth of the facility. The individual rooms are large with nice bathrooms. Families are encouraged to individualize the residents' rooms with furnishings and pictures. The enclosed garden is beautiful and residents are encouraged to sit, walk, garden, and play lawn games when the weather permits. The food is always outstanding. The menu varies day to day and always includes meat and fish products. At various times of the year, the staff encourages families to join their loved ones for special meals. The staff is what really makes Hearthstone special. Caring and competent in handling residents with Alzheimer's and dementia, they treat each person with respect and dignity. While extremely well trained in treating patients with dementia issues, it is the patience and love for those they care for that truly separate the staff at Hearthstone from other facilities I have visited. I would strongly recommend Hearthstone to anyone who is looking for a world-class facility to care for their family member.

May 26, 2015

By MomandDad

After caring for my mother in my home for 7 years, I finally needed to find care for her. I knew just where to look because my father was a resident at Hearthstone from 2004 - 2006. My father had severe Alzheimer's Disease. My mother, who is 99, has mild to moderate dementia. So I have a good perspective on how dedicated the staff at Hearthstone is to providing the appropriate care for each resident's needs. It was very hard for me to make the decision to put my mother in care since her dementia is not severe. But the health of my husband and the need for me to return to work made it the right choice, Nevertheless, I could hardly walk through the door when I went to see if they had a room for my mom. I had been completely pleased with my father's care, so my hesitancy was not about Hearthstone, it was about feeling guilty for not continuing to care for her. As soon as I began talk to the intake team, I began to feel better. They listened to my concerns and were very kind when I broke down in tears. They also listened patiently to every story I told them about my mother and what her particular likes and dislikes are. I left that meeting feeling like a burden had been lifted. They worked with me to help me choose the room that I thought would be best for her. I was worried that she was used to having a only a few steps directly from her bed to the bathroom. They showed me about five rooms. When we brought her furniture in, they allowed me to arrange it the way I wanted to even though it is not the standard way to set up a room. Mom has been there for 6 months now and I have had only one issue. I addressed it with the Executive Director by email. She responded within a few hours and the issue was rectified. One of the things that has really impressed me, both when my dad was there, and now with my mom, is how caring everyone on the staff is. They seem to feel genuine affection for the residents. I pop in at various times throughout the week - different days, different time of day, evenings - and always I see the same level of respect, patience and compassion. I noticed this when my father was there too. Even when he did not know who he was, who we were, or who the people caring for him were, they were always kind and patient. When he went into a hospice situation for the last week of his life, they made sure I had a bed in his room. I was allowed to stay overnight and they provided me with meals in his room. Throughout the day, someone would drop by the room asking if I needed anything, or wanted to take a shower, etc. The other reviews have talked in more details about the activities, the cleanliness and appearance of the grounds and the building, the access to the courtyard, etc. I agree with everything they wrote. I had looked at lots of places in both Maryland and Massachusetts when looking for a place for my father and Hearthstone was superior to all of them. I think part of the reason is that they really do try to make it like a community of friends - not an institutional nursing home. As an example of this, they allow my mom to sleep as late as she chooses and then someone fixes a breakfast for her. There is not a rigid schedule that everyone must adhere to. When she wants to participate in activities she is welcomed and encouraged and appreciated. When she would rather sit alone in her room and doze off, they respect that too. I know this a rambling review, but I guess I can sum it up by saying Heartstone is the closest thing I could find to taking care of my parents myself. I have great respect for their philosophy and the way they live it with their residents. It's not just words. It's reality.

May 10, 2015

By My mother is a patient at Hearthstone Alzheimer Care

I am very happy to be reviewing Hearthstone Alzheimer Care in Marlboro, Massachusetts. My brother and I researched and toured multiple facilities in the area for my mother and when we decided on Hearthstone, we were confident, but one ever knows for sure until the patient gets situated and their care can really be evaluated. In addition, when we asked others about their experiences at a variety of facilities, no one ever raved about their experiences; there were always qualifiers about ‘how good a place was, but...’ On the other hand, my mother has been at Hearthstone for almost a month now and I can honestly GUSH about our experience! The days leading up to my mother’s move-in were when my first impressions of Hearthstone began. Every interaction, every conversation from the staff workers to the directors of the facility were all positive. I pulled up to the facility with many of my mother’s things and I was embarrassed about the terrible packing job I had done, and, so, I wouldn’t have asked for help unpacking. But the director of the program helped me unload my car and brought up dolly after dolly of my mother’s pictures, clothing, and books. He didn’t just send someone else out to do it. I very much admire management who roll up their own sleeves and help; this experience of having directors and management help has been repeated over and over and has left a lasting, positive impression with me. No question has ever been too small and each concern has been given thoughtful assurance and reflection on the part of the staff. This initial period (one month) is the opposite of the so-called ‘honeymoon’ period. In fact, I’d say these the first few weeks are by far the most difficult, because everything is new both to the patient and the staff. After dropping my mother off, even with all the assurances we had, I still didn’t know, and I’ll admit, it was an awful feeling pulling away that first day. However, almost within the hour (!), I received an email along with a photo of my mother who was happily helping out with a culinary project. Each day for the first week we received 3 emails a day along with photos of my mother. I can’t tell you how much that level of communication meant to us. We still receive several emails/week and we have been encouraged to call/visit/email anytime. My mother is clean, happy, well dressed; her hair is styled and her outfits are coordinated and thoughtful. Last week I attended the Mother’s Day Tea and it was lovely. There is no way that a staff could fake the care and concern I witnessed. The staff doesn’t wear uniforms; they eat with the patients. The staff knows and genuinely loves each of the patients. I saw everyone from the directors to the day-staff to the nurse help patients with food and even though, some of these patients could easily slip away and not make a fuss, the staff, without exception, saw to their needs instinctively and lovingingly. Many of the baked good were even homemade by staff members. I had lunch there yesterday: onion soup with lots of fresh onions, grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, and a fresh fruit salad (raspberries, blueberries, cantaloupe—no canned peaches here!) The tables are clean and the lighting is excellent. I wasn’t sure I could stay for lunch but there was no question that I could stay and eat with my mother. In fact, I was invited several times to please stay for lunch. I felt welcomed. As the weeks continue, I feel wonderful about Hearthstone. I can honestly report I have not had one negative or mediocre experience. I know my brother and I made the correct decision about my mother. 5 stars!!!!

May 08, 2015

By 4daughter

My parent lives at this facility and we are very satisfied with the level of care. We conducted extensive research into facilities in the Metro-West area of MA and visited many “Dementia Care” facilities. Nothing is perfect but Hearthstone comes very close! 4.5 stars. POSITIVES: - Hearthstone is a beautiful facility – lots of natural light, clean and always smells good. Very nice to visit - you can always find a private spot. - The grounds at New Horizons is beautiful and it is lovely to take a walk around outside. Always well maintained. - Caring and compassionate staff that take great care of all of the residents. Residents are well groomed, clean and all needs are attended to quickly. - Real sense of community - Set up of facility encourages independence with an outside courtyard that can be accessed at any time by the residents. Does not have the "locked in" feeling of other places we visited. - We did have concerns about the size and set up of the facility before moving in (mostly due to elevator). It has not been a problem since most activities are on the ground floor during the day and residents are given assistance to go between floors. - The size of the bedroom and common areas is manageable and comforting to the residents as the disease progresses. It is much easier to navigate than the first facility my parent lived in. Always clean and tidy. - Catholic mass on site - Programming is engaging, appropriate - not forced. - Family events - Staff members know the life story, interests, likes / dislikes of the residents and model activities on those things. There is something for everyone - cooking, art, music, exercise... - Field trips to restaurants and museums. - Convenient for medical issues - Nurses at Hearthstone are competent and responsive - help coordinate care by contacting MD on medical issues, facilitate Visiting Nurses, and assist with other requests. Previous facility left a lot of this work to me. - MD, Psychiatrist and Podiatrist all come to the facility on a frequent basis. Medications and other supplies delivered by local pharmacy. - My parent has improved since coming to this facility. - This is a very difficult disease and each case is different. My parent has always felt very comfortable here and we are very satisfied with the care and comfort this setting provides for the resident and family members alike. - Support for Caregiver / Family offered Negative: Only negative is the food. It can be a little salty and rich. Staff was very accommodating and has made adjustments for my parent on portion size etc. This was not a deciding factor for us - since Hearthstone fulfilled all of our other requirements.
See all Memory Care reviews (9) See fewer reviews

• Psychiatric Care

• Activities Extra: We Offer A Wide Variety Of Clubs And Classes Daily

• Pets: No Pets Allowed

About Hearthstone at New Horizons Alzheimer Care

Supported by over 20 years of research, taught and utilized throughout the US and internationally, Hearthstone’s innovative I’m Still Here approach offers people living with memory challenges an opportunity to truly thrive in a best-practices environment that is designed to adapt to the challenges associated with memory decline.

At Hearthstone we understand that people living with dementia are individuals – there is no “one size fits all” approach that works for everyone. Therefore activities are offered in small groups throughout the day as clubs and classes, based on residents’ interests and skills. In addition Hearthstone’s unique Learning Stations encourage independent study on topics of interest.

Dr. Zeisel’s international best selling book, I’m Still Here, provides an excellent overview of the philosophy behind our approach. Please contact us for a free copy, or come by for a tour to experience the I’m Still Here approach in action.

Since 1992, Hearthstone has been setting the standard for providing engaging experiences for people living with memory challenges including Alzheimer’s disease – in fact, it’s all we do.

Map of Hearthstone at New Horizons Alzheimer Care