The Highlands Fitchburg, MA

Reviews of The Highlands

Nursing Home Reviews for The Highlands

April 20, 2015

By Mmcch2015

This facility lacks communication between departments as well as communication with the families. My grandmother was transferred here on CMO and we told the transfer person we would like her in hospice as she only had days to live. We did not speak with hospice until she had been there overnight, and when we went to visit that first day she was dressed and placed in a wheelchair! My grandmother passed away after being there for about 36 hours, and it was clear in that time that the Highlands staff believed she was there as a new resident. Today, three days after her death we received a card for an intake meeting for the 27th. Again, some of the staff was very aware that she was there to die; others, namely the nursing staff, had no idea. She was also placed in a room with a disruptive roommate, and an alarm was beeping constantly outside the room - not a very peaceful setting for our family or my grandmother. We lacked privacy and the intimacy that is necessary in this kind of situation. It was very disappointing to say the least.

November 16, 2012

By spie11

Very disappointed in this facility. My elderly mother received rehab services after a bout with pneumonia. She was discharged after a short period and returned about month later as the pneumonia reoccurred. Communication is horrendous. As family member who do not live in the area, we rely on info from the staff. Although some of the nurses were helpful, the social worker was rarely available. She was consistently negligent in conveying any pertinent information to family members (plans for discharge, medicare, etc.) and appeared to be very limited in knowledge regarding resources for aftercare.

October 13, 2012

By prinsmileu

I thought the staff was very friend but seemed over whelmed. The amenities were very nice and seemed clean. The nurses seemed like they knew what they were doing and answered call lights when they went off. I had a positive experience while visiting and I hope others did as well. My grandmother said she enjoyed the hot meals and games that were provided by the activity staff. The rooms were good sized and privacy seemed to be very important.

December 07, 2011

By Shirley5

My mother was in this facility after receiving radiation for lung cancer. She was transferred here for physical therapy. She was placed in a private room, which she liked very much, and had a shared bathroom. She had a television, phone, chairs for visitors, and a bed.One complaint I have is with the frequency with which the nurses checked in on her. When I would visit, I rarely saw any of the nurses or assistants come in. If she rang the bell for help, it took awhile for anyone to come to the room. I could also hear bells going off in other rooms with no response. They did also put a bed alarm under her, the nurses did come if that went off.The condition of the building was good, it was clean and welcoming. The administration was friendly.

Services and Amenities of The Highlands

About The Highlands

The Highlands is a senior living provider in Fitchburg, Massachusetts that offers residents Assisted Living and Nursing Homes. Contact The Highlands for more details on services and rates.

Map of The Highlands