Brookdale Towson

Reviews of Brookdale Towson

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Towson

November 17, 2014

By Gayle9

We went to Emeritus Towson and we like this facility. We like the size of the rooms. They have a living room and a bedroom. We like the ambiance of the place. When we walked in, everybody was friendly. My dad is a veteran and they have a wall with all the veterans in the facility, and that was pretty cool too. Definitely this facility would be our first choice for my dad. I know they have different kinds of exercises that my dad would like. I like also that they have a community area where people can come down. Every day they make sure that they have something the residents can attend.

September 29, 2014

By Jamie7

They gave me a tour at Emeritus for both assisted living and memory care. They were very nice; they gave me a lot of good information and were very welcoming. They said they had people come in and entertain, they have meal tables with other people, and they have a little kitchenette during the day where people can go if they get hungry which I thought was nice. It was very clean, very up-kept, and I didn’t see anything upheaval. The place is very nice with a very big dining room place for people to sit, and it was very homey. They showed me some of the menu items that they served; it looked very good and nutritious.

August 14, 2014

By Karen67125250

I really liked the Emeritus. The rooms were nice. I just wasn't sure that was the best placement for my mother. They were right next to a Catholic church. My mother was Catholic, and I really like that. The staff was very nice.

June 10, 2014

We visited the Emeritus, and we were unimpressed with it. The people were nice, but it had a urine smell. I think the location is good. The people seemed very nice, but it's an older facility. The amenities did not appear to be as nice. The rooms were not as nice. We saw the dining facilities; they were OK. I don't think it's a bad place.

May 29, 2014

Emeritus was fantastic, but it was too expensive for us. It was great. I just think that it was so nice; I wouldn't mind it for myself. It was probably for people who have high incomes. The dining area was great. The staff was excellent. They followed up on us. They were very professional, too. The facility was excellent. It was also very clean. You would think you were in a hotel or a spa. It was very nice.

May 20, 2014

I had a very good visit at Emeritus. The staff was great. They were friendly and informative. They even gave me snacks and they were very good. The rooms and the dining area were both very nice.

June 19, 2013

By Joan P.1

Emeritus at Towson was farther from my home but it was absolutely wonderfully. It was on the same level as it's counterpart in Pikesville. The staff was great and their director was fabulous. It seemed like everyone had gone to How-To-Be-Nice-To-People 101.

September 22, 2012

By banthony

Emeritus at Towson is an assisted living center near the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. It's open daily and provides assisted living care as well as care for those with Alzheimer's disease and other memory issues. The setting is very pleasant and the building itself is very southern and looks almost like a manor. There is lots of greenery and walking paths as well. Inside the halls were quite clean and the seniors had a lot of freedom. There were activities like bingo and songs, as well as special visitors from time to time. The staff were very pleasant and treated the residents with respect, although there was one nurse that seemed to be having a bad day and was slamming things around a bit. The patient I visited had dementia, but seemed to feel at least somewhat safe, although she cried when I tried to leave, but that is the sad thing about diseases of the mind that can happen to the elderly. Overall, I would recommend Emeritus to someone looking for assisted living for their family.

June 15, 2012

By ThorthePenguin

I was only there for one visit for my grandfather so I didn't see too much. The staff seemed OK and the facilities seemed adequate. I do remember my grandfather was upset though because he wanted to go back home as soon as possible but the doctors and/or staff was trying to keep him there pretty much against his will "for his own good" as they had put it. There was an ubiquitous feeling of depression throughout the facility and people everywhere did not really seem happy or positive about life. It felt more like a place where old people just went to wait and die more than an active health facility that was trying to help them get better. I was glad to leave it when our visit was over and I felt sad for my grandfather. He left a few days later and I was very glad to hear that.

December 07, 2011

By Chris Carter

My mother is a resident of Emeritus at Towson and I think that it is a wonderful place! My mother was very reluctant to move to an assisted living center since she liked her independence, but I insisted since she needed some help getting around. Since moving into Emeritus at Towson, my mother has been very happy. She is allowed to go about her business but can easily access help if she needs it. Another great thing about this assisted living center is their memory care program, which caters to those with memory problems. My mother is in the beginning stages of dementia and this has been a great service for her, and offered me a lot of comfort. Another great thing about this facility is its location and the grounds. It does not feel like it is in an isolated place, which was key for my mother's approval. The grounds are wonderful and very well kept. Overall, I am really glad that my mother is at Emeritus at Towson!

Questions about Brookdale Towson

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All staff is required to have monthly Brookdale Training as well as state required training. CPR and first aid training.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Towson. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The overall population is 40% men and 60% women. Total of 69 residents in assisted living and 23 in memory care. The average age is 83. The residents enjoy the lunch outings, weekly store trips and our on site entertainment. We have residents in our community as young as 68 and as old as 100.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Towson offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Every residents is provided a monthly calendar listing of all programs and activities. Brookdale Towson offers weekly happy hours with entertainment, shopping trips, scenic rides, lunch outings, a variety of exercise programs, cooking demos by our chef, art projects, painting, crafts, coffee chat, bingo, movies, flex your brain and monthly birthday parties with entertainment are just to name a few. Our resident also enjoy the monthly book mobile. Monthly counsel meetings. Brookdale also offers on site physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy.

What places are near Brookdale Towson or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Brookdale Towson is located next door to a church which is within walking distance. There are also many churches in the area. A major shopping mall and public library are within a 5 minute drive from the community. Many restaurants and grocery stores are close by as well.

What transportation services does Brookdale Towson offer to assisted living residents?

Brookdale has a shuttle available to residents for doctor appointments.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Towson exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We are proud to announce that our chef was awarded the SILVER SPOON this year. Lifespan sponsors a yearly event and competition between 20 - 25 assisted living and independent communities. Each chef is required to create their choice of an appetizer, dessert or main dish. and then voted on by a panel of judges. Brookdale Towson proudly walked away with the Silver Spoon, which is like winning the Oscars in the dining world!! Our chef has also been awarded the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD 4 years in a row. Our dining program offers 3 meals a day with unlimited snacks. All meals are prepared on site with fresh meats, fruits & vegetables. Homemade soups and salad dressings. Every meal is seated, with a menu for residents to choose from. Each table has an assigned server to create the perfect dining experience. Residents can choose from 5 different entrée options along with a choice of vegetables and desserts. Our chef is more than happy to accommodate residents in need of special diet needs.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Towson offer to assisted living residents?

Every resident wears a GPS life alert pendant to accommodate their needs 24/7. All private bathrooms are equipped with slip resistant floors, pull cords, grab bars next to the toilet and in their walk in showers. Walk in showers also have a seat for safety. All doors in the community are secured from 8:00pm to 8:00am for safety. Visitors before 8:00am or after 8:00pm use the call button to enter and exit the community. Receptionist onsite from 9:00am to 8:00pm. Our memory care is a secured environment to ensure the safety of our residents. Nursing 24/7 as well as resident aids. Wander guards in assisted living. Safety railings in all hallways.

How does Brookdale Towson keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Our community is continuously keeping our residents informed regarding their loved one. Facebook postings, calls as needed, email, text, postings throughout the community and at the front desk. Mailings and emails to families for family and friend events. Our executive director sends a monthly newsletter via email to ensure families are updated on events, programs, etc. Family meetings at any time at the request of the family. Our executive director and health and wellness director will request family meetings to discuss any concerns as necessary.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Towson during daytime and nighttime hours?

Assisted Living - Our entire community has 24/7 nursing which means we have an actual nurse over night physically in the community to access any situation that might arise. 2 residents aids in assisted living over night and 3 during the day. In addition 3 nurses are in the community administering meds. Health and wellness director, charge nurse and resident care supervisor on site during regular business hours and rotating weekends.

If Brookdale Towson accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Brookdale gladly accepts dogs and cats. Residents must be able to take care their pets. Our community has a lovely courtyard and front grass area as well. We also have walking paths to walk dogs.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our staff is required to have monthly Brookdale training as well as state required training. CPR and first aid training.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Memory care has 23 residents total. Our entire community has 24/7 nursing which means we have an actual nurse over night physically in the community to access any situation that might arise. 2 residents aids in memory care over night and 3 during the day. Health and wellness director,charge nurse, resident care supervisor and memory care director on site during regular business hours and rotating weekends. Dedicated nurse specific to memory care administering meds.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Towson provide to protect residents who wander?

Brookdale offers wander guards to residents that may wander. The door alarms if a resident gets to close to front and back doors in the community. All staff and managers are fully aware of any resident wearing a wander guard as an extra precaution.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Towson offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Clare Bridge/Memory Care offers a full schedule of activities that occur 7 days a week. These activities include but aren't limited to exercise classes, art therapy, live entertainment, singing, dance therapy, raised gardening, cookouts in the courtyard, scenic rides, lunch outings, cooking demonstrations by our chef, weekly happy hour and brain power are just a few. Our memory care director provides the family with a " Life Story" form to be completed. The life story of each resident helps our staff learn about and get to know each resident before moving into the community.

Our health and wellness director assesses residents before admission, 30 days after admission and quarterly. Family can request assessments at anytime as well as our health and wellness director.

What techniques does Brookdale Towson use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Clarebridge programming. Aromatherapy, music, staff assistance, food tool augmentation as needed. Restaurant atmosphere-cloth tablecloths and napkins, real utensils etc. Refresh program that stimulates the senses.

How does Brookdale Towson keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our health and wellness director, charge nurse, memory care director or dedicated memory care nurses will inform families about their loved one's health. Their means of communication is mainly by phone and then email if necessary.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Towson. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Brookdale is surrounded by several upscale neighborhoods within walking distance.

Is Brookdale Towson affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are minutes away from two major hospitals. GBMC ( Greater Baltimore Medical Center) is 1 mile from the community. University of MD St Joseph's Medical Center is 2.0 miles from the community.

Photos of Brookdale Towson

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Towson

• Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Minimum Age: None

About Brookdale Towson

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Towson