The Woods at Canco

Reviews of The Woods at Canco

Independent Living Reviews for The Woods at Canco

November 10, 2020

By Kenneth

We went to The Woods at Canco. It was a very good experience. They seem to provide everything we need. It seems to be a nice atmosphere. The staff members were very helpful with our questions. It's just the cost because my sister-in-law doesn't have the income to cover it. The staff was very good. They followed up trying to help us as best as they could.

October 09, 2020

By Lewella

We went to The Woods at Canco. The person was very, very good. The first thing that hit me there was no kitchen. I go like, "Oh really?" That little counter space and sink here did not exactly hit me well. The people that we saw seemed to be pleasant and satisfied. The staff was pleasant; I would say that was the highlight. The place was so much older.

October 09, 2020

By ReviewerRD10022020a

I'm moving into The Woods at Canco. I checked it out and I'm very happy with it. The room is beautiful. It's small like a little apartment. Its got a kitchenette, a living room, and a bathroom. The staff members were very helpful and very nice. I don't know anything about the place because I haven't moved in yet, but as far as I can see, it's very nice. They've got meals and it's nice. I'll have people around me. The dining area is beautiful with large tables. I'm very pleased with it.

July 14, 2020

By Nancy

My mother chose The Woods at Canco. She liked the way it looked, the feeling, the atmosphere, and she moved in there. The rooms are really nice, they're average size, and she has a little apartment with a living room and kitchenette; it has everything but a stove. She has a nice-sized bedroom, bathroom, and three really big closets. My mother likes it there a lot. They have activities. Not as many as before, but my mom played socially-distant bingo, and she won a bracelet. She's really happy about that, she's meeting people, and making friends. Everybody I've talked to has been wonderful to me. I can text them or call them if I have any issue; I like them. It's comfortable and they try to promote a sense of community. They had gifts for her when she moved in, and they fed me lunch. The food is really good. She gets three meals a day, and three snacks a day.

November 13, 2019

By Chanda

My visit to The Woods at Canco was good. It's a really nice community and very well-maintained, the staff knew every single one of the residents. I was blown away when we were sitting in the dining hall, the staff knew coffee preferences and dietary needs and so on. They were really attentive. The rooms were immaculate and gorgeous, and the grounds are also gorgeous. There's a lot available, they have an on-site library. It's somewhere I would want to go. We looked at independent living, they have apartments inside but they also have individual cabins outside. So it's more like they're living in a home rather than an apartment. They also have a beauty salon on the second floor, it's really a nice place and affordable.

August 18, 2019

By CR

The Woods at Canco was a great community, and it's something that we're considering in the future. We saw the apartments, the separate cottages, and the entire facility. We had lunch there. They're somewhat expensive, but the people I spoke with were all very kind and very knowledgeable. The food was delicious.

September 28, 2018

By Garison

My visit with The Woods at Canco was very good. I would give high marks for the representative who worked with me. She was very good and very thorough. I was quite pleased with what I saw. It was a beautiful spot and I wouldn't hesitate to live there if it were just a little closer to town. They're not on the bus line. Much of what they have to offer was very good. The apartments were quite adequate, well done, and you have enough windows. The access to the rest of the building was good. The activities seemed to be pretty sound. Everything seemed clean, neat, and well organized for my purposes in terms of the rooms and in terms of access to the rest of the building.

Hi Garison, thank you for visiting us at The Woods at Canco! It's great to hear you had a wonderful visit. Thank you so much again for your feedback! We hope you have a great day!

December 13, 2017

By visitor

The Woods at Canco was absolutely excellent and beautiful. They're all over the country and seemed to be very well run. It's like being in a hotel.

June 06, 2017

By carolyn106464

My visit at The Woods at Canco was fantastic. It was senior-friendly with fantastic staff, and it seemed like a perfect fit for her. If my aunt had not gone with a family member, this is where I would encourage her to go. They were pet-friendly, and she has a pet; they were smoker-friendly and she smokes; and they had lots of activities onsite and off-site. They allowed their clients to have their own vehicles, they had a hair salon on the premises and a really nice selection of food at meal times, and the apartments were adorable; they were perfect for a single person. Everybody greeted me very nicely, and they were sensitive to the condition of why I was there to visit.

August 31, 2016

By Tom888672

I’ve only been here for 2 weeks in The Woods. So far everything has gone very smoothly, and I’m pleased with it. Everything is satisfactory. The food is decent, it’s not upscale restaurant type, but it’s alright. It takes quite a while to get served, so they can increase the number of servers.

August 23, 2016

By Thomas204544

The Woods at Canco was more expensive than what I could afford. The whole facility was very nice and included a library, community room, and nice dining area.

June 17, 2016

By Murielle801210

I am currently staying at The Woods at Canco. The place is adequate, although I have encountered a lot of problems. It has been a bumpy ride. I am in a shared balcony room, and the lady that I shared with was so mean. I don’t like that they have a policy that you only have an hour and a half to eat.

Hi Murielle801210, we appreciate you taking the time to respond. We strive to provide excellent service to our residents at The Woods at Canco, and want to do everything we can within our power to make your experience enjoyable. While we have little control over the degree to which somebody, such as as your neighbor, chooses to be either pleasant or unpleasant, there may be additional options available that we would be happy to explore with you. Feel free to get in touch with your community manager, or give our Resident Relations team a call at 1 800 370 8331 -- thank you!

March 04, 2016

By Jane J.1

My husband is in The Woods at Canco. I find the community quite good. It is a senior-living, and not an assisted-living. The services have been good. The food is good. I will recommend it. For me, it is lovely. They have a lot of activities, and a lot of people have been there a long time. They participated in a lot of things.

January 31, 2016

By Castle bay

The visit at the Woods was very good, and they were very professional. Good follow-up on their part, and good facility. They are more independent-living; which is great, but my mother needs a little bit more on that. I would highly recommend it for independent-living. Great facility. They actually have list of private cares you can call, and they can come in to do that care for you. It’s clean, and top-notched.

January 26, 2016

By William117608450

The Woods at Canco was excellent. It's a beautiful building, very spacious, excellent food, and marvelous dining room. They had very nice rooms; singles, and doubles. It's just expensive. The staff members that we met were very efficient, and marvelous. The dining area was excellent. Everybody that I talked to on-staff was cheerful, happy, and wanted us to come stay with them. There was a long list of activities on the board, and it looked to me as though we could possibly be very comfortable doing some of those.

August 27, 2015

I visited The Woods At Canco. They had been really wonderful. I really like the friendliness of the staff and their grounds. If anyone is shopping for a retirement place, I would recommend them.

June 09, 2015

By Debra107196150

The Woods at Canco Was a very nice place. The staff was friendly and curious. We had lunch there and the food was good and they gave you a few choices. There was a lot going on and residents were engaged. The rooms were good size clean and had a small kitchen. Unfortunately my dad required a little more care so we choice another place. This is a great assisted living place for someone who doesn't rehire a lot of care.

May 28, 2015

I’m familiar with The Woods because that’s where my mother lives right now. It’s a lovely building, and it’s very nicely appointed. It has a wonderful dining room; the meals are fabulous. The facility has many activities for its residents. They have a shuttle bus that takes people shopping several times a week, and it takes people to their medical appointments. They have little side trips around town or sometimes they arrange for the bus to take people to see concerts or plays. They have movies every day which is great. They have activities all day long: several different types of exercise classes, several different physical games like beach ball volleyball, and some other indoor physical games. They have a library which is nice. They have a computer room for anyone to use. They have a lot of entertainment; musicians and singers come in and perform for the residents a couple of times a week. It’s a very active community. My mother has been there for a while, and she has had a hard time making the transition but only because she has Alzheimer's. There are several people there like her, and they tend to gravitate towards one another, so she always has people around her that want to spend time with her. There’s a lot of social interaction. The staff has had some management changes. The new managers are not as open and warm and friendly as the original ones, but they’re competent and know what they’re doing. Overall, it has been a positive experience.

December 30, 2014

My mother-in-law lives in Canco Woods (The Woods at Canco). She is been there for 10 years, and it is a nice place. It is just the she needs more help than they can give her. It is a very nice place, and the staff is very helpful. She has a good experience with it. They have all kinds of different activities. They have a bus that takes them to appointments, and they also have a bus that takes them to local entertainment venues. They have entertainment come in there in the form of musical groups. They have exercises, little sporting exercise like balloon volleyball and sitting tai chi, they have a pool table on the second floor, and they have plenty to do, if they want. However, you have to understand when you get to be 98 years old, sometimes things are not exactly the way you want them to be. For the most part, her comments about the food are positive. Everyone is so well. When the meal does not meet with her approval, she's not happy about it, but that's just what's it like.

February 14, 2014

By Nancy77873150

The Woods at Canco was a very nice place. Everything was clean. It wasn't super fancy but I thought it had a nice atmosphere too. It didn't seem crowded and uncomfortable. It looked like a friendly and open space. I thought the people were very warm and welcoming. I really like the owner and the people who worked there. They were happy.

January 31, 2014

By JoAnn8

My dad is living in The Woods at Canco since July. We choose it because for one it is a very pleasant, and open central area. It is easy for him to find his way to that area and there is a lot of light flowing into it. Also, it has the best ratio of men and women. Thirdly, they rent an apartment with the facility, but they have a health organization, which provides like the needs for his meds twice a day and they only charge him for the small amount of time that they are spending with him in terms of the services that he needs. Another plus is that they have live-in managers, which are two couples. One couple manages it one part of the week and one manages the other. They seem to have extensive training with working with people of that age and they seem to be very able and professionally competent. I also like the live-in aspect because I like the idea that they are constantly keeping an eye out for anything that might be a problem. Their apartment varies in sizes, but my dad is in a studio which is roomy. It is L-shape so that the bedroom area is on the side and there is a small kitchen and a living area. He actually is able to walk out on into an enclosed courtyard from his apartment, which is nice because he has an outside sitting area. Another plus that the dining is large and open, but if all the chairs are filled up, the will take the person and find a table or a group for him to sit with. They don't allow people to sit with the same people every day. I also feel that the food is very good. It is takes advantage of the local are produce and dish. They have a day chef and a night chef and both of them seem competent. If somebody has a birthday, they do something special on that day for that person like make him a birthday cake. They have activities like bingo, bean bag baseball and balloon volleyball, which he loves. He loves the musical events. He is able and they did a really good job in encouraging him to get involved in the activities. They have little announcements and it is a nice reminder for people who are kind of forgetful.

October 11, 2013

The Woods at Canco offers all kinds of services. The food is fine, it tastes very good. The apartment is very spacious. They have all kinds of activities. The staff is very friendly.

Questions about The Woods at Canco

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at The Woods at Canco. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What transportation services does The Woods at Canco offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at The Woods at Canco exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does The Woods at Canco offer to independent living residents?

If The Woods at Canco accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Does The Woods at Canco work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for The Woods at Canco

Photos of The Woods at Canco

Services and Amenities of The Woods at Canco

• Housing Extra: Handicap Barrier Free Units Available, Hardwood, Individual Climate Control, Telephone Hookup, Walk In Tub

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room, Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Parking: Garage

• Technology Extra: Business Center, Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About The Woods at Canco

The Woods at Canco is located in Portland, ME, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to The Woods at Canco for a visit...and stay!

Map of The Woods at Canco