Whealdon Estates

Reviews of Whealdon Estates

Independent Living Reviews for Whealdon Estates

January 20, 2021

By Elmer

The price at Whealdon Estates is what made me choose it. The employees were very friendly and very helpful. I thought the room was a good size for the price. It was pretty spacious. I didn't try the food. The dining room was designed pretty good. It was well lit. The place was clean. They have a gym and a salon. I don't think they have a pool. There's also a pool table. The staff members were very friendly and helpful.

October 06, 2020

By ReviewerFC100220B

Whealdon Estates was very nice. Their activities were limited because of COVID, but they said that they had plans for upcoming activities after all this is finished.

September 28, 2020

By Gina

My mom moved into Whealdon Estates. I'm very pleased. They offer laundry, food service, and activities. The staff is great. Everything has been fantastic.

June 25, 2020

By GR

Whealdon Estates was very nice. The people were very cordial and very helpful. I think I'm going to enjoy it there. They spent almost an hour with me, and they showed me the 2-bedroom apartment. They also had studio and 1-bedroom apartments, but I prefer more space. They had a nice dining area, the activities seemed fine, and they provide three meals a day. The facility was pretty well laid out.

October 09, 2019

By Cleve

My dad is now in Whealdon Estates. He has his own apartment, they serve him three meals a day, but he is responsible for everything else. He loves it. He has a studio apartment which fits his bed. He also has a sofa, a television, a desk, and a couple of dressers. It may not be new, but it is nice. They provide three meals a day. They have a good chef that fixes excellent food. I have eaten there several times and I haven't had anything that I didn't like. They have activities all throughout the day. They have movies every night. Then at about 7:00 or 8:00 the place shuts down and it is really quiet, so my dad likes it. Whealdon Estates is safe. My dad is starting to make some friends. They take him to the bank, and they take him to Walmart. It is a nice set up. The place is clean and it has a vibrant, active environment. Everybody is moving around. The residents are friendly and the staff members do a good job. They have a free washer and dryer for the residents. Whealdon Estates is affordable. My dad has some relatives that live very close to him. It has worked out really well. They have a big calendar on the wall that lists all of the activities that they have for the month. They also give each resident a smaller calendar that they can have in their rooms. They have live entertainment, bingo, arts and crafts, exercises, and movie nights

October 02, 2018

By Phil

Whealdon Estates was excellent and away from the busy street, but it's also kind of in the middle of the city. The rooms were fine and spacious and most of them had a small balcony that you can go out on. They were very nice and very well maintained and they stressed the fact that they were able to modify like if we wanted a television on the wall in the bedroom, they'd be glad to do it. They would be willing to work with us to make it as comfortable in any way we wanted it possible. The rooms were bigger and you've got a full kitchen, a refrigerator, and a stove. It had everything in there. They also provided two or three meals a day. The food was good and the menu looked fine. You can order what you want. The staff was great. It's a Holiday retirement, which is a chain across the country. They've got lots of them all over and if we wanted to go somewhere else in other city, they could have a room free available for us to stay in and to visit. While you're there, you get free meals too. The facility was fine. It was old, but it was an open design, and I liked it. The rooms were a little bit bigger than I thought they were going to be.

May 22, 2018

By Shiela

My friend moved into Whealdon Estates, and it's beautiful. They're very nice, very helpful, and I would recommend them to anybody. She has a 1-bedroom apartment, it holds everything she needs, and she loves it there. There's always activities going on, like crafts, games, and they always have coffee and snacks for her.

December 07, 2017

By Mary

My brother moved into Whealdon Estates. The amenities that they offer are so wonderful, and the people that run it are very caring, loving, and concerned. The workers and staff there are very friendly and accepted my brother. They had so many things to offer him. He has a studio apartment, it's a nice size, and it has a small kitchenette with a small refrigerator, cabinets, entryway closets, a very large closet for hanging clothes with shelving, and a small balcony. There's ample room for him. He's on the second floor, and they have a free laundry room near the elevator. They offer three meals a day in their dining room, and once a week there is housekeeping. They have various activities. On Friday afternoons during football season they have a tailgate party catered by the kitchen and everybody's encouraged to wear their team shirts. He has come to know many people, they also offer some religious things and have a rosary for the Catholic residents on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. They have a priest come in on Fridays and Saturdays to say mass and Eucharistic ministers distribute the Holy Communion. Outside of every resident's door is a calendar of the activities for the month with the time and place for each. They have entertainment in the lobby, or sometimes a 2-piece jazz band. They also have a big piano and the residents like to sit around the tables and sing old songs. They have an exercise facility, and a walkway around the building that's satisfactory. Each resident is required to wear the button around their neck that has GPS so they can tell where he is in case he's taking a walk and falls. The maintenance fellows they have are wonderful, they are very attentive, kind, and pleasant to deal with.

May 20, 2017

By kornelia

Whealdon Estates was very nice. I had lunch there. The first time I was there, a lady was singing in the meeting room, and the music was transferred to all the rooms. The rooms were very nice and had balconies. It was very inviting and had lots of activities. I met three people - one my age, one a little older and one younger - who were really happy and content there.

November 24, 2016

By Kristi261174

Whealdon Estates was absolutely horrible. I wouldn’t put a pet in there. They could improve on the staff and the appearance of the place. It’s very run down. The general manager told me if my dad fell, they couldn’t do anything to help him. The staff was hiding behind walls when you’d go into a room. I was not pleased at all.

Thank you very much for sharing these comments, Kristi261174, we appreciate you reaching out. Our Resident Relations team would love to connect with you and ask some questions and share some insight with you when you have the chance. If you could give us a call at 800-370-8331, we can allay some of your concerns around our safety program, and explain in greater depth to you how it works and the ways in which your dad would be helped in the case of a fall. We love our residents, and consider it an honor to get to work with seniors each and every day. We hope to hear from you soon so we help bring you peace of mind! Thank you so much, have a wonderful day and rest of the week!

October 26, 2016

By lphillips3993

Apartments are set up well, but getting response to maintenance issues is not timely. Food is an issue. Fancy names for subpar delivery. At times it is not edible especially the supper. examples: turkey cheese sandwich with no turkey.; meatloaf overheated in microwave to be like a brick, burned to a crisp liver. serving sizes that should be an embarrassment. Night crew does not know how to cook and does not care what they deliver to the residents. Management seems unable to make appropriate changes. Complaints are met with promises of changes, but none are made. Good activities by volunteers. Light Housekeeping is definitely light. Change linens and towels.

January 16, 2016

By Kay118634850

Whealdon Estates was nice, but it was too expensive for my friend to afford. They let us have lunch with them,and the food was good, but I noticed that for people who have false teeth, the chicken was a little too tough. My friend had some kind of surgery in her throat, so she had to take time to shred it, otherwise it would get hooked in her throat. The dining area was nice. The people were very nice, and they talked to us. For people who can afford it, it’s good.

December 21, 2015

By Norman14

Whealdon Estates was okay. It wasn’t as nice as the other facilities I’ve visited. The staff are friendly. The facility was well taken care of. It has no distinct smell like in other facilities. The location is good, being right in the middle of Baton Rouge; it’s so easy to get to. The dining area looked pretty nice. The rooms are nice too. It has everything one needs.

December 18, 2015

By Angel15

I visited Whealdon Estates. The staff was very knowledgeable and very kind. They seemed to have a variety of activities. The dining area seemed very adequate. I was impressed by their dining presentation.

October 30, 2015

By Andrea29

The people over at Whealdon Estates were nice, and the community was clean. I think they’d been playing cards. I liked it.

May 12, 2015

By Robyn4

The housekeeping wasn’t very good at Whealdon Estates. She wasn’t pleased with it, and she complained about the food. I don’t think the chef was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The residents were very friendly, and from the people standpoint, it seemed nice. The rooms were a bit smaller and an average shape.

Hi Robyn, I'm Katie, I'm writing from Holiday Retirement's Home Office. I'm sorry to hear your friend had a negative experience at Whealdon Estates. I've passed your feedback on to our Resident Relations department, specifically as it concerns housekeeping and food service. Please know that your and your friend are both welcome to call them as well if you think of anything else you'd like to add. Their phone number is 1-800-370-8331. Thank you for your sincere review, Katie

January 29, 2015

I got my sister to facility in Baton Rouge. The name of the facility is Whealdon Estates. I think it is a pleasant place. It is really independent living, but you can ask for assisted living too, so that's what I'm doing. The staff is very helpful and pleasant when I talk to them. The rooms are adequate. I think it is fine, but it is not big enough. There are a couple of things that could be better like they have a closet which is nice, but its door is so heavy that it's hard for her to push it. They do take them out to different places. They also have bingo and people do come in for entertainment like singing and dancing.

June 19, 2014

I really like Whealdon Estates, and this is probably the facility that I would go to if I needed one. We had lunch there, and the food is good. I like the layout of the place itself. It reminded me like a cruise ship. I like their one-bedroom apartment. It is extremely nice, and I could afford it. They seem to have several activities that I would enjoy. I really like the woman who showed us around. She has followed up with me several times, asking if I am ready yet. The residents were friendly. Overall, they have a nice atmosphere, and I like it.

February 12, 2014

By beauellie

Some really nice people working there and their managers actually live at the community are very personable and involved. During my visit I was introduced to the many residents as we walked around and met many happy people who were all referred to by name. Jefferson Hwy is busy but the community is set way back and not visible from Jefferson Hwy...the driveway leads out onto Jefferson we were lucky it was not duing rush hour

Questions about Whealdon Estates

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Whealdon Estates. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What transportation services does Whealdon Estates offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Whealdon Estates exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does Whealdon Estates offer to independent living residents?

If Whealdon Estates accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Does Whealdon Estates work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for Whealdon Estates

Photos of Whealdon Estates

Services and Amenities of Whealdon Estates

• Fee Structure Extra: Included In Rent: Basic Cable, Electric, Sewer, Water
  • Independent Living Starting At: $2017/month

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Parking: Private

• Technology Extra: Business Center, Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About Whealdon Estates

Whealdon Estates is located in Baton Rouge, LA, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to Whealdon Estates for a visit...and stay!

Map of Whealdon Estates