Topeka Presbyterian Manor

Reviews of Topeka Presbyterian Manor

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for Topeka Presbyterian Manor

February 03, 2017

By Really...

A lady I care for wanted to come to this facility after she was going to have an aortic valve replacement, and what happened was not what I call "quality care" for a patient. She was having some difficulty with breathing and lots of edema while at this facility. The "house doctor" prescribed for IV diuretics to be done; however 2 nurses from the facility were unsuccessful in accomplishing this, and the facility didn't send her to the hospital to get this done. She went another day and had a followup appointment with the surgeon and immediately knew she needed to be in the hospital, and he admitted her. During her stay at the hospital she had to have a blood transfusion, because her hemoglobin kept going down and I'm not sure how many gallons of fluid came out of her. It's a wonder she's alive. Also, I heard nursing staff asking another patient how come she "fell out of bed", and the patient replied "I pushed the nurse button and no one came". Pretty pitiful place...I would not recommend this facility for anyone who truly loves and cares about their loved ones.

June 22, 2015

Topeka Presbyterian Manor was OK, but it was not quite what I was looking for. It was not as nice and friendly to me as the other facility I went to.

January 28, 2012

By LoveHateRelationship

My Grandfather stayed at this facility for about a year and a hald before he died. The first time I went there, they showed me around the facility and introduced me to all the main staff that took care of my grandfather on that shift. One lady in particular, really touched me. You see, my grandfather really had a great passion for animals and she told me that, at least twice a week, she would bring him in special videos of animals and a DVD player with a big TV, since he couldn't see very well. This meant a whole lot to him, therefore, it touched all of us in our family. He couldn't read anymore, and that was one of his greatest passions. He had Parkinson's and so he was too shakey to read anymore. The only pass-time he had to enjoy was those videos that nurse would bring in a few times a week. She also took time to sit and talk with him. He was a very "hermit-like" person, always was. Never talked much, or got too close to anybody. But there was something about her that made him enjoy her company so much. To this day, I don't understand what that lady said or talked about to catch his attention so clearly, but bless her heart for everything she did for him. Now, there is a negative side to his stay there. He was having terrible side effects of his medication and would beg the doctor to help him figure out what medication was doing it. This med was causing dizzy spells, and temporary blindness. It took this doctor 4 months to figure out what the medication was, and he still didn't take him off of it. Said that it had to build up in his body and that after about 6 more months, he should be use to it. A couple months later, my Dad got a call at about 3AM from Presbyterian Manor stating that my grandfather had passed out trying to get himself into bed and cracked his head open. We talked to the doctor when he wasn't busy, about 2 weeks later, and he said that the "spell" my grandfather had was infact from that certain medication. He assured us he would be taken off of it immediately. They took the med off his list about a week later. After this incident (this is right before he passed) there was an outbreak of pink-eye. They didn't idntify it for weeks. It was so horrible looking, we thought it couldn't be pink eye, but some sort of infection that would eventualy cause him to lose his eye. The point is, is that nobody noticed anything wrong with his eye for almost a week. With there supposedly nurses in there every day, I just can't believe no one noticed it.
See all Continuing Care Retirement Community reviews (3) See fewer reviews

Services and Amenities of Topeka Presbyterian Manor

• Pets: No Pets

About Topeka Presbyterian Manor

Refund Plans: 75% of Entrance Fee. Assisted Living and Nursing Care on Fee-For-Service basis. Rental plan also available.

Map of Topeka Presbyterian Manor