Derby Health and Rehabilitation

Reviews of Derby Health and Rehabilitation

Nursing Home Reviews for Derby Health and Rehabilitation

April 05, 2017

By Need ice

I had total knee replacement surgery and arranged to stay in this facility short term for rehabilitation. They offer "complementary transportation" from the hospital to their facility that I wish I had not used. The vehicle's ADA access was inadequate and uncomfortable; it also was not clean. When their transportation staff member came to my hospital room to pick me up, I immediately told her that I was not going to be able to comfortably fit in the wheel chair she had; she insisted that larger people than I am had used it without a problem. They had a very difficult time getting me into and out of the van using the narrow ramp it had and this jostling caused me great pain. During the ride from the hospital, I was in extreme pain and discomfort because of the cramped untidy conditions. There were also ADA issues in the facility: I am a large woman; both the toilet & shower ADA equipment were too narrow for me. It took more than 5 hours for me to get the toilet seat that I needed (and I had to use the restroom within 1 hour of arriving). It took 2 days to get the shower chair that would accommodate me. When a very kind nurses' aid insisted that I sit in the narrow shower chair that was too small, it nearly over turned during my shower; this caused me further pain because of the sudden movements that I had to make to avoid a fall. The doctor and hospital discharged me from the hospital with a circulation ice pump system for cold therapy to manage the swelling and reduce pain. During the night my leg would become extremely swollen and hot because they "locked the kitchen at night" where the ice machine was; the staff told me that they did not have access to ice. When I complained about not having ice at night, a nurses' aid told me that they lock the kitchen due to night shift theft, a "director" told me that this problem would be corrected but I slept 2 more nights with the night shift staff telling me that they had no ice to refill my doctor prescribed ice packs. I also did not feel that the physical therapy staff provided me with the level of rigor that I needed to rehabilitate: I worked minimally with one physical therapist aid (he was rude and he lacked professionalism and compassion). Because my knee was not iced during the night, I was extremely swollen in the morning further prohibiting my ability to bend and flex my knee. The assistant physical therapist attempted scare tactics to try to get me to bend my knee by saying that they will have to "cut into [my] knee again, because I was not cooperating in bending", but did nothing to help reduce my swelling. During the 1st 4 days of my stay the physical therapy aid worked with me for 20 - 30 minutes per day. The bed was an uncomfortable death trap that did not accommodate elevation of my leg, as prescribed. The mattress was approximately 1 1/2 inch thick and the elevation adjustment would bend my leg at the knee which was not the way my doctor wanted me to rest. I was told to keep my leg straight when elevated to reduce swelling and avoid blood clotting. When I asked to speak to the director he came to visit with me promptly upon my request. When I was talking to him explaining that I had concerns regarding the ADA issues, lack of ice, a need and expectation for more intensive physical therapy and a blood pressure cuff that was too small -- scratching my forearm because the plastic was becoming dry rotten and cracked, the physical therapy aid came into the room and said, "I came to work with you now only to find that you are here talking about me." I was disappointed that the director allowed him to become a part of the conversation that I requested. I ended up shutting down on my requests because I began to feel attacked by these two men that seemed to have the purpose of defending the facility/service instead of meeting my care/medical needs. I was told at the conclusion of my conversation with this director that I would have ice at night for the ice circulation system and a blood pressure cuff that would fit. After 2 more days these critical problems were not addressed, so I called my doctor and discharged myself. I must say that the occupational therapy staff, nursing staff and food service staff were extremely professional, pleasant and helpful. The ADA issues, medical equipment issues to manage my pain and swelling and unprofessional PT aid, made my stay miserable.

January 16, 2017

By janet2017

If you are expecting highly skilled medical professionals, this is not the facility for you. While the therapists are adequate and the staff very friendly, the lack of knowledgeable, positive leadership is very apparent. The food was generally good, albeit typically cold and skimpy on the portions. And, you never knew when meals would be served. The final straw was when my father left and we were supposed to pick up prescriptions. The floor nurse called in the prescription but did not provide all the needed data. It is more than a week later and after several messages to Derby Health & Rehab, they have not provided the information yet. It’s a good thing those prescriptions weren’t critical to his care. Derby Health & Rehab is not a facility I could recommend.

October 17, 2012

By maxsmom1982

My family had brought me along to tour this nursing home for my Grandmother's care since I had worked in many nursing faciltiies (state and private.) The home is broken up into several units, all with their own kitchen/dining, and living quarters. My Grandmother had her own room her entire stay. The facility was very clean when I had visited and the staff were friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, my Grandmother passed away (she was terminal), but if I had to choose another nursing facility for another family member, I would definitely feel comfortable leaving my loved ones here to be taken care of. The facility is clean, the rooms are clean, the residents are clean, and the food isn't half bad either!

December 07, 2011

By Sahara

Derby Health and Rehabilitation is a very nice facility. It consists of four connected "houses", each with its own gathering area, dining area, and kitchen. Most rooms are private and spacious.The staff is very good. We had very few bad experiences with my mother's care. The nurses are very watchful and skilled. Most of the CNA's work very hard. Everyone, including the administration, is very caring and compassionate.I was extrememly pleased with the therapy my mother received. They worked with her diligently and did what they could to make things easier for her.The food is usually pretty good. They try to give the residents what they want if they don't like what is being prepared. However, sometimes their selections are very limited. There are some excellent cooks and some that are not so good. There is not enough nursing staff. Each house has one nurse and two aides (one aide overnight), and they are often overwhelmed. The aides are expected to provide patient care, do their laundry, bring everyone back and forth for meals, serve the meals and drinks, do some cleaning, and of course, document things. I believe that the quality of care would be enhanced by hiring more CNA's.The medical doctor and PA are excellent and I could not ask for better treatment for them. They are very thorough and compassionate.I volunteer at Derby Rehab and I love it. I highly recommend it as a trustworthy place to care for your loved ones.

Services and Amenities of Derby Health and Rehabilitation

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

About Derby Health and Rehabilitation

Derby Health and Rehabilitation is a senior living provider in Derby, Kansas that offers residents Nursing Homes. Contact Derby Health and Rehabilitation for more details on services and rates.

Map of Derby Health and Rehabilitation