Walden Place Iowa City, IA

Reviews of Walden Place

Independent Living Reviews for Walden Place

October 11, 2019

By Ken

We decided to stay where we are at Walden Place. It's very comfortable with very friendly people, good people to take care of the situation, excellent serving staff, and cleaning staff. They do a good job, we have no problems at all. There's family-feel with the residents, like in an apartment, but you get to know your neighbors well. I have no complaints. The food is very good generally, you have options, and you can ask things off the menu, and generally they do a very good job with that also. They have a lot of different things, every day there's something quite often something special, and last week they had something for seniors for healthy living and keeping active. They have a library, exercise room, family room, TV room, and a nice outdoor area to relax in, and laundry facilities on every floor.

November 13, 2018

By Dennis

I visited Walden Place. They showed me a corner apartment with lots of windows, and it was very airy. We like the fact that the kitchen was very small and compact, and did not take up a lot of space. One thing I've noticed is that the lower level had a musty smell, like a carpeted damp. When I was there, the residents were playing a game, like they were trying to throw a bean bag into a hole. The staff was very friendly.

Hi Dennis, thank you for taking the time to visit us. Your review has been shared with the management team, who will review to see how we can improve for our residents. Please reach out to us if you have any questions.

May 21, 2018

By Shirley

The rooms at Walden Place are very good. The staff is very kind, and there's always somebody around to answer questions for you. The food is satisfactory, and I appreciate the small servings. I moved in Wednesday and Thursday and went shopping already. They have a luncheon scheduled later in the month and different activities in different areas. They have a big-screen television with a couple couches where men can watch football games or any sports they want and not be disturbed. They had a piano player the other day mid-afternoon in the dining room.

November 10, 2017

By Reviewer

My parents like Walden Place. The only bad thing about it is the food. It's three meals a day, but they get very tiny portions. For the cost, the food is horrible. They have several activities like music and Bingo. They have a library, a family get-together room, a TV room, an exercise room, a hair salon, and a main dining room, but they only have one very small elevator for the entire place.

April 04, 2017

By South America

They do not provide transportation for residents except from 8 am to 12 pm Monday thru Friday. This means there is no transportation for going to the movies, shopping or church on Sunday.

Hello, thank you so much for reaching out and providing this feedback. We are delighted to hear from you, but are very sorry to hear our transportation schedule is a cause for concern. I do want to clarify and confirm seniors can absolutely use the bus during these times for activities such as the shopping, the library, movies, etc., although, medical appointments do receive first priority. On top of the bus, our Enrichment coordinator also schedules weekly shopping trips and monthly lunches, as well as regular movie outings. We'd love to see you out on any of these trips, and would also like to encourage you reach out with any additional comments you may have - we are accessible by phone at 800-370-8331, or email at bryan.bailey@holidaytouch.com. Thanks again, and hope to hear from you soon!

December 16, 2016

By Pam828800

I visited Walden Place. It was very nice, but I wanted something in my area in the Quad cities rather than Iowa City. It is very large. However, it seemed like they had a lot of things. The staff was marvelous, and the room was nice, but we decided that my parents needed to be closer to me. The lady that I toured with was very helpful, but the place felt very crowded.

August 12, 2016

By Lee218523

Walden Place was absolutely adequate in every way, and the people were helpful. It did not have the amenities that the other places have like a theater and a pool, but you would be comfortable living there.

January 14, 2016

By Dennis33

Walden Place was very nice. I tried the food, which was super. The staff was very friendly.

November 29, 2015

By Michael116345150

I like the sizes of the rooms at Walden Place and the fact that I could bring my pet with me, but the price is very expensive. The staff is very good. They have a very nice meal program. The residents could go on different trips with the group, which I find interesting. They have an exercise room, which is interesting, too.

October 30, 2015

Walden Place was very nice, clean and very well-kept. I had an interaction with the saleswoman who was very cordial.

January 24, 2015

We went to Walden Place for my mom. It was a very nice facility, but the travel for us wasn't convenient. The rooms were very nice. They had a couple of sizes that they offered. Their personnel were quite helpful and willing to work with you. Their chef seemed very knowledgeable about the cooking. They offered us a meal, and it was good. The only drawback that they had was their distance from where we live. However, the overall look of the facility was really nice; it was a nice setup. I would recommend Walden Place.

September 12, 2014

By Linda94739150

Walden Place was very nice, and the staff was wonderful. We've eaten there several times, and the food is excellent. Every time I was there it was something different. They had an outdoor concert earlier this year, and that was very nice. They keep calling me because they wanted me to come for Labor Day. They have some concerts, speakers that come in and talk, and all kinds of different things. I checked on the rooms and they were nice, but right now I am in a condo by myself, and it was like too much of a downsize for me. The staff was wonderful. They were very friendly, and they'd go out of their way to help you. They even have three chefs that are on duty to prepare the meals, set up the menus, and so forth, and I was very impressed with that. They have snacks on the countertop in between meals, and it seems like there is always something around to eat.

September 11, 2014

By anthony2609

Walden Place is very clean, up to date, and well taken care of. The price is good, and it’s near a hospital. The staff is friendly and eager to help. They’ve got games and an exercise room.

March 21, 2014

Walden Place was a nice place. I met some of the directors and they were very nice. They had good people. The rooms were very nice, clean and spacious. They had activities like board game nights. They had people coming in. They had an Elvis impersonator when I was there. They were a little expensive but then that's to be expected for all the amenities they provided. I had two friends that lived there already. They had invited me back and I really enjoyed my visit. However, the meal time was a little slow, it took an hour for them to serve the meal and I didn't have the patience for it.

October 17, 2013

By Doreen1

I went to Walden Place and it's a beautiful place with nice people. The facility has an older building which I really like because I don't like those modern buildings. It has hallways and each couple or person would have a two-room apartment with a kitchenette. The place is really nice, but it's not the kind of lifestyle that I need. I can't see myself living in a two-bedroom apartment. They have public spaces which are really nice. They have a computer room on each floor and a library. They also have lots of activities which seemed really corny to me. Everybody there seemed really happy. The price was too expensive for me although the services were absolutely incredible. They come in and clean your apartment every week and change the bed linens and that's very nice.

August 28, 2013

By Albert3

I'm staying in Walden Place. They serve two meals a day including breakfast and the food is great. The management is very caring and they do all the housekeeping. The housekeepers serve the food basically and in the evening when the housekeepers aren't there, they have students from the local college to do it. The food is superb. I have everything that I need in my room and it is clean. They have all kinds of activities like various card games and activities that will keep you physically fit. They have bingo and people come in to do musical programs. They have a bus that takes people around to the various appointments, store, shopping centers and banks. But there is no lift for my scooter. I am recommending them to others.

April 09, 2013

By Laura12

We've been in Walden Place for a couple of months now. The management is very kind and most people here are very nice. The food is very, very good. There's lots to do like exercises, bingo, card games, a TV room and movies on schedule. And if you don't want to participate it's all right, too. We have an outside entrance. We could go out to a patio and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. We have two bedrooms and two separate bathrooms. You can also have pets. It really fills our needs and that's what we wanted. I would certainly recommend Walden Place.

Costs for Walden Place

Photos of Walden Place

Services and Amenities of Walden Place

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room, Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Parking: Covered

• Technology Extra: Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About Walden Place

Walden Place is a senior living community that provides a vibrant backdrop for a senior resident's new life as a valued member of the caring community. The staff takes pleasure in getting to know each of the residents and looks out for their comfort and happiness. From pleasant housekeepers to attentive servers at mealtime and helpful maintenance technicians, this community is the new extension of the family. It provides housekeeping, linen services, fun and stimulating activities, off-site excursions, transportation to personal appointments, and a variety of classes and programs.

Map of Walden Place