Keystone Cedars

Reviews of Keystone Cedars

Assisted Living Reviews for Keystone Cedars

November 30, 2015

By Delores.M

The lady showed me a couple of rooms at Keystone Cedars. We didn’t walk outside but she showed me the walking area they had available outside. The sizes were good, and they had a nice dining area and nice options for meals. They were all very good showing me around. That was a really nice neighborhood there, and had little, private outdoor spaces. It’s somewhat secluded, and yet there was a lot of things around it. It was very nice, kind of back in a cul-de-sac so that it was private. It was very nice and pleasant to look at. Everybody was very friendly.

Thank you for your review and kind words!

August 05, 2015

By Sandy110267850

I moved mom to Keystone Cedars Assisted Living. The place is clean and nicely appointed. It's a very comfortable place to live in. I felt that it's a place that she would enjoy living in.

We appreciate your kind words!

February 25, 2015

By Bob G.

Apartment: clean, quiet, very comfortable. Fitness room and pool: very clean and well-maintained. Activity room, Library, Clubhouse: very clean and comfortable. Food: excellent selection of drinks, salads, entrees, side dishes, and desserts. Residents: all appear happy and friendly. Similar to a cruise ship experience. Staff: open, pleasant, caring, and helpful.

Thank you for the review!

February 20, 2015

By Joy Brecht

There is not enough room here to write about how fantastic "Cedar" is. I have nothing but praise for the staff and the care my dad got when he lived there. He loved his apartment and everyone there. Need assisted living for a loved one? Keystone Cedars is the place.

Thank you Joy, for allowing us to care for your dad at Keystone. We value your caring words!

February 17, 2015

By Mary S. Ernst

Moving my mother to an assisted facility was difficult for me. Now I know it was the best move. Cedars is inviting, well run, and friendly. Residents are a top priority for all staff. Wonderful care, great meals, varied activities and services.

We appreciated you taking time to share your experience with others, and thank you for letting us care for your mom!

February 04, 2015

By RICHARD MILLS, son of former resident

When it became necessary for my mother to live in an assisted living facility, the idea was met with resistance and negativity. However, the country-like view from her room, the decor of the facility, the friendliness of the other residents, and the personal caring of the staff had her calling Keystone Cedars "home" within a short time. We experienced peace of mind, knowing she was in a physically safe environment that provided many opportunities and experiences that enriched her life. We are so grateful for the high level of competence in management and medical personnel. On a personal note, we have appreciated the availability of a guest room when we visited from out of state.

Thank you for your kind words! We are so glad we were able to help your mom feel at home!

December 27, 2014

By Margaret49

Delightful living place, clean, and very good staff. Good food, well served, and lots of entrees to choose from. Excellent activities available and very homey atmosphere. Happy to be a resident.

It makes us happy to know you feel at home!

December 17, 2014

By Ken & Joan

5 star services, facility, residents, and staff. Wonderful swimming pool, and good food with 5 selections. Frequent entertainment with a nice variety. Good place to call home.

Thank you for your kind words!

December 17, 2014

By Dixie5

It's very clean and comfortable. Good and caring staff. There are many things to do and nice entertainment. Needs improvement in food quality and serving temperature.

Thank you for your review! We understand the quality of food is of utmost importance to our residents. We would love to discuss the specifics of your concerns with you in order to maximize the experience at Keystone!

January 31, 2014

By Joseph16

When I visited Keystone Cedars, I was happy with what I saw there. I believed the head of the nursing department was the one who gave me the tour. We talked for about an hour and a half about what they did and what was best. They had very nice units. There were activities but I did not see any entertainment during my visit. However, I looked for a place with memory care and nursing care because it won't be long before my wife would need the nursing care. Nonetheless, I would recommend this facility to others.

Thank you kindly for sharing your experience with us. We offer a full schedule of activities for our residents. The monthly calendar can be viewed on our website at www.keystonesenior.com .

July 26, 2013

By Jennifer20

My wife and I visited Keystone Cedars and we liked it. It is clean. The staff was very good, very cordial and inviting. They wanted us to stay there but the place was carpeted. It would be nice if they had non-carpeted floors and bigger rooms.

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words!

July 23, 2012

By A3M8X8Y4TK8HKU

The facility seemed to be okay. It was clean everywhere that I saw. The staff was friendly enought, but didnt seem extremely enthusiastic. THough, how could you be when you are surrounded by death. The amenities were good enough. They also had daily activites the member could go to in order to interact with others and get some mental stimulation. The food seemed really cheap for how much my parents were paying to keep him there. In his condition, Im sure he wasnt affected by any conditions in this place.

Thank you for your comments. Keystone will continue to strive to provide the best quality care to our residents.

Questions about Keystone Cedars

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

They go through Relias training, two- hour live dementia training and a lot of our monthly staff meetings are dementia specific. A total of 12 hours per year.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Keystone Cedars. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

80 to 85 years is the average age of our residents. What our residents love to do varies for sure but.. some of their favorite hobbies include bridge, book club, bible study, happy hour and of course join their fellow neighbors in the restaurant for all three meals that are prepared by Chef Dustin and his culinary team.

What programs or activities does Keystone Cedars offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Live 2b Healthy is one of the senior fitness programs we offer at The Keystones as well as water aerobics and chair yoga. We also have walking clubs where they travel the country and keep track of the distances they have achieved. The Eastern Iowa Arts Academy also comes in monthly to do an art class with our residents. We often schedule outings to the diverse arts and cultural scene in Cedar Rapids for example; Museum of Art, Czech Village, African American Museum, Paramount, TCR. These are just to name a few. Weekly outings to our local grocery stores and retail shopping are also resident favorites. Several times a week you will also be able to enjoy a variety musical entertainment that is brought in for the convenience of our residents. Our residents also enjoy the diverse spiritual/religious programs that The Keystones offers

What places are near Keystone Cedars or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Our residents can easily walk to Target. If they are in the mood to go down memory lane and enjoy a McDonalds hamberger they could :)

What transportation services does Keystone Cedars offer to assisted living residents?

We provide transportation to and from medical appointments as well as activity outings

What makes the chef or dining program at Keystone Cedars exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Culinary Department is lead by Chef Dustin. Hot, fresh breakfast every morning or if you're in the mood for a bagel, cereal etc. The residents do NO pre-ordering of any food, made fresh every meal. Restaurant style every day with many options to choose from

What safety features or security measures does Keystone Cedars offer to assisted living residents?

We do have security cameras in our buildings as well as secured doors.

How does Keystone Cedars keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

By way of phone, mail, emails, care conferences. Our operational staff, as well as the nursing staff, work very closely with our residents and their families to keep them informed of any changes that may occur or affect the resident.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Keystone Cedars during daytime and nighttime hours?

daytime including nurses you have up to 8 care staff per 76 apartments, evening 5 care staff and overnight 3 care staff

If Keystone Cedars accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are not pet friendly. However, pets are allowed to visit at any time. We often have therapy dogs come in to visit the residents

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our staff does Relias training that has be renewed every year

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We have five caregivers during the day as well as the registered nurses, and 5 evening caregivers. Overnight we have three caregivers

What safety features or security measures does Keystone Cedars provide to protect residents who wander?

Our Memory Care is secured, you have to have the code to go in and out

What programs or activities does Keystone Cedars offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Exercise, music, religious/spiritual programs, happy hour, resident council, culinary program, educational speakers, book club, bible study, theater, casino, art/craft. Numerous outings for shopping, the arts, cultural museums. You name it, our activity team will go just about anywhere you want to go, they love your suggestions....

Our Director of Nursing does the initial assessment prior to move in. We then have the nurses do a 30 day, 90 day, and annually. If there is a change of condition between any of these scheduled assessments we will do one at that time as well.

What techniques does Keystone Cedars use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our caregivers serve them their meals as well as sit down with them and eat at the same time. They are able to encourage conversation and help prompt them to eat as well. These caregivers have been with them all morning at this point and are very aware of how their day has been

How does Keystone Cedars keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

This takes place from phone conversations, family care conferences etc. The relationship the residents/families have with nursing is very close.

Describe the neighborhood around Keystone Cedars. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are surrounded by homes and businesses, so a little of both.

Is Keystone Cedars affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are not affiliated to any hospital but, work closely with the social workers at both Unity Point and Mercy Hospital

Costs for Keystone Cedars

• Tai Chi

• Pets: No Pets Allowed

• Licenses: Iowa Assisted Living License

About Keystone Cedars

The Keystone Cedars is conveniently located on the northeast side of Cedar Rapids. Just a short drive away, you’ll find shopping, restaurants, churches, medical services and more.

Choose the perfect level of care. Live independently at Keystone Place, while knowing you can turn to Keystone Cedars down the road. Keystone Cedars provides both assisted living and memory care services.

Living at Keystone Place Independent Living is like being at home- only better. Our large apartments include full kitchens, laundry machines and your own spacious patio or deck. Dine at the restaurant, sit down with a good book in the library, stay connected to family and friends in the computer room, exercise in the fitness area or relax in the swimming pool and Jacuzzi. Other services provided include a full-service salon, transportation, housekeeping and engaging scheduled activities.

At Keystone Cedars, you'll continue to live independently while enjoying peace of mind. Our assisted living community offers health care services tailored to you, provided by 24 hour staff. Keystone Cedars offers multiple levels of care, emergency pull cords in each apartment, housekeeping, maintenance, transportation to doctor appointments, three meals a day and a full calendar of activities. Keystone Cedars also offers a memory care area located in a comfortable and secure area with just fifteen apartments, ensuring specialized and attentive care.

At Keystone Place and Keystone Cedars, there are many activities at your fingertips. You'll live life to the fullest among staff and neighbors who will come to feel like family. While enjoying a wealth of amenities, you'll know your health needs will be supported into the future.

Map of Keystone Cedars