Hawaii Kai

Reviews of Hawaii Kai

Assisted Living Reviews for Hawaii Kai

October 09, 2020

By Ralph

I toured Hawaii Kai. They were very helpful. They gave me a lot of information, and a lot of options, but I told them I'm not ready yet because there's too many variables. They actually let me tour it in person, and so I spent several hours with them as the facility is quite large. My wife is in a foster home right now, getting physical therapy and trying to get stronger, and I don't know exactly how much help she's gonna need. It's a huge factor. The cost for the facility that I was quoted originally is about $5000, and if I go in there with her, it would be $6000 a month. Well, depending on how much care she needs, the care could be as much as $6000, and I frankly don't have $12000 a month to spend. It was nice; it was fine. They were very helpful. I appreciate the fact that I got to see the facility. I certainly would consider it. I met with the general manager, and I met with the, I guess, I would call her the sales person. They were very helpful, but I made it clear to them that I cannot make a decision now. They were anxious for me to make a decision, but I'm not ready yet. They have a lot of facilities that I wouldn't be using right now because of the virus. Even if I had all the information that I needed, I'm pretty certain that I don't want to move into a home like that with the coronavirus going on. The community was really nice. They showed me a variety of different apartments with different layouts. They showed me 2-bedroom apartments, and they showed me mostly 1-bedrooms. I told them I was not interested in the studio apartments because if we're going to live there full-time, that wasn't big enough. What I would like would be the 1-bedroom because when my wife would be resting, I wouldn't be in the same area making noise and all that. They showed me the dining area, and they had a number of different rooms for different activities. It's a very large facility. I did not sample the food, but they gave me all the menus, and they told me that I had a choice whether I would eat in the dining area or whether it would be delivered to the room like room service. It was very good. Different apartments had different views. Some had a water view, some had a garden view, and some didn't have much of a view at all. It depends on what you wanted and what's the price accordingly. They have an elevator. If you chose an apartment that was on the second or third floor, of course there's an elevator to take you up and down. I also met another person. She was the one that had the care side, e.g., the people that would come in and give personal attention to my wife. One of the things I like very much about them is they gave me the top-of-the-line price. In other words, if my wife needed constant care 24/7, they gave me that price, as I told you it was $6000 a month. I do not think my wife would need that much care, so if she did, it's out of my price range. I cannot afford $12000 a month, but I could do a lesser amount. There are just too many factors right now for me to make a decision, but they were good, and the information was plenty. I couldn't have asked for more gracious people to show me around. It was great.

September 15, 2020

By Matt

I chose Hawaii Kai for my dad because I felt like this is where he would be happiest. He has his own room for privacy. They just got a COVID case there so they're on lockdown. They hadn't had a case before that, but it's kind of disappointing. I was wondering why they were allowing visitors, but they had to take a temperature or a test before coming inside. I saw his room on Facetime and it's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. His room is nice and seems safe, it has bars on the shower, and the shower is big enough for him to put a shower chair in there. The person I dealt with there gave me a virtual tour of the apartment, walked me down the elevators, and cafeteria area. It's a pretty massive community and there are multiple buildings so he didn't show me everything. My father has his own balcony and he has kind of a beautiful view with a waterfall, so it's nice.

August 26, 2020

By Scott Nahme

Assisted Living staff in Building #2 (back building) is fantastic. Very caring, competent, nurturing. My mom will be 100 in September and they take excellent care of her. She likes it there and I am happy to have her live there and be taken care of by such a great staff of care providers.

July 24, 2019

By Michael

Hawaii Kai was nice, but if my mother degraded in her functions, I would have to move her because they don't provide services beyond assisted living. The initial tour was great. The place was clean, and I liked some of the rooms they had. It's private care and one of the cons is there's a lot of focus about how long she can last with her funds and what it means if we have to pay beyond her liquid assets (like her checking and savings accounts). That felt a little bit awkward. The staff member during the tour did a good job, was courteous, knowledgeable, and friendly.

December 27, 2018

By PH

I liked Hawaii Kai. The staff was very nice, very accommodating, and answered all of my questions. The rooms were very nice. There was only a studio available, but they had a variety. The dining area was well accommodating. They had a gym.

August 09, 2018

By Visitor01

Hawaii Kai is way out on the other side of the island. It's nice, but I don't want to go that far. out. It's a lot older. They updated it. I think it's OK, and it's a third the price. The staff seems very nice. We couldn't complain about it. They have exercise rooms, the grounds are very nice, it's a lot bigger -- around ten times the size than of others -- and they have a swimming pool.

November 27, 2017

By Gloria

I'm familiar with Hawaii Kai because a lot of my friends live there. They have positive comments about it and it's on my side of town. They have independent and assisted living. They have three meals a day, and the food I had there was good.

June 01, 2017

By roxanne370785

I really liked Hawaii Kai's environment. My mother likes the environment, but she is not ready to go, and she doesn't see herself spending that kind of money. I think the facilities are awesome, though. I personally think it is an environment for a lot of retired professionals. The staff, even the serving staff, was very amiable, very nice, and very caring. Everybody was very amiable and very caring people. Even the recreational activities person was very sociable. Everybody was nice. It was a very caring environment. I really liked it. If my mother ever does decide she is ready to go that direction, that would probably be the first place I would consider.

May 09, 2017

By Catherine400542

My aunt lives at Hawaii Kai. She really likes it because she can have her pet there, and she has some outdoor space. They have a shuttle that takes the seniors around. They have meals available, but I think they have to pay for them. They have other activities too. I know they have an activity room. I like the atmosphere. It is really calming, and it is really pretty. It is in a pretty area. If my mom needed a place, I would highly consider Hawaii Kai.

April 11, 2017

By New Yorker

We were disappointed with Hawaii Kai because we thought the food was inferior, like it was frozen food, and the service was not so nice. It was OK and had a very nice place with separate cottages, which was very tempting. Overall, we didn’t like the fact that it seemed too commercial. It belonged to a very large group, so we didn’t feel it was personal.

April 10, 2017

By Roland860455

My visit at Hawaii Kai was good. It was quiet, and the property was very spread out. The facilities were nice, but the price was too much. The staff was very nice and friendly. The dining area was very nice.

March 27, 2017

By Azucena210136

Hawaii Kai is too small for the two of us, and at the same time, the rent is too high. We cannot afford it. The unit that is open and the one they’re recommending to us is near the canal. When there is a flood, it gets stinky, and we will be able to smell it. I don’t like it.

February 11, 2017

By C635567

I had to quickly get my mom in somewhere, and she fell in love with Hawaii Kai. She confirmed that she likes it and was willing to move. She likes to play Hanafuda, Bingo, mahjong, and all the activities over there. A lot of it has to do with faith and going to church service, and all that kind of things. They seemed to be quite confident and capable. I think that they liaison very well with the long-term care company because I was very much inundated by people who worked with them as they helped me along. There was pretty much something going on with the long-term done. I guess they like to make sure that you get your paperwork a long time. I think they could probably repaint and make the rooms look a little better, more presentable, but I don’t think the old folks really look at that; it is more as a feeling, not the appearance.

December 05, 2016

By Yvonne563667

Hawaii Kai was very nice. It was a new place, but housekeeping wasn't that great. I liked that it was new, but it was too much like a hotel. I looked at a private room, and it was very nice. You could bring your own furniture which I think is really good for transition and continuity.

October 13, 2016

By Jay642124

Hawaii Kai was nice. It was clean and bright. The people were very friendly. The residents seemed fine. It was a nice facility, but it wasn’t what my father needed.

September 13, 2016

By Jan528875

The staff at Hawaii Kai was friendly. The outside of the place was very nice, but the rooms were small and sparse. The food was horrible, and I wouldn’t even think about sending my mom there.

Jan528875, thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Hawaii Kai. We appreciate your feedback and the kind words about our friendly staff and outside exterior, though we do regret you didn't enjoy the food as much as we would have liked or as our other residents seem to. Either way, we'd like to thank you, Jan528875, for reaching out and sharing your feedback with us. Thank you!

January 25, 2016

By Russell13

We were impressed with Hawaii Kai when we took the tour. It was almost like a resort or country club type of atmosphere than an assisted living or even senior living. It was upscale. The location was good. It was not within walking distance of shopping, but they do provide transportation if they needed to go to shopping areas.

December 16, 2015

By Cecilia7

Hawaii Kai is a community. The surroundings are exquisitely beautiful. They have a beautiful view. They are at the back of a valley. The staff is very nice and very good. They know what they are doing. They know how to talk. The facility is older. There are two parts to it. The older facility, I think, they say it is built in 1988, and the newer facility is built in 2004 or 2005. The rooms are very nice. Everything about the rooms is very nice. It is a nice place.

October 05, 2015

The rooms at Hawaii Kai were very light and open with nice furnished and designed. You have to bring your own furniture which helps you to personalize. The food is excellent. The dining room was very practical; they go the same places every time for meals, and it makes the serving of the meal very easy for everyone. They have exercise, singing, and movies. I think they’re doing their job.

September 07, 2015

By Marlene29

The Hawaii Kai was great; the staff was fantastic. Because I can’t eat certain things, they made up a special sandwich for me. The only thing I would have to do before I would totally sign up for it is check the pool out because I’m a swimmer. I went back to see the one unit because it was the only one that furniture and everything would have fit. They have a library inside; I’m a reader, so the library was great. They have puzzles, too.

September 07, 2015

By Caring112712050

I visited Hawaii Kai. I have been there several times; I do have friends there. The apartments were lovely. However, the last time I visited, I had dinner there, and I didn't think the food was up to par. It was not what it had been when it first opened. It was turkey, and to me, it seemed like a canned turkey with canned gravy, and it didn't seem fresh to me. However, at Hawaii Kai, they were lovely people. I visited a gentleman last year around Christmas time, and they were playing lots of games like games with small prizes. It looked interesting. They were all having fun, and my friend liked it also.

May 01, 2015

We liked Hawaii Kai very much, but it was a little expensive. The sales staff was very nice. We had lunch over there, and you can order from a menu. The food was very good. It's three meals a day. They had card games, exercise rooms, and a woodworking shop. The only thing I wasn't happy about it was that the two bedrooms only had one toilet, but they were very nice and clean. We talked to some of the people there, and they liked it.

March 18, 2015

By Alika

I did visit a facility, and I stayed there for two nights. It is called the Hawaii Kai Retirement Center. It is a very nice place. The food is acceptable and very good. If my VA payment comes through and I get a 100% disability, I'll be able to afford to stay there. It is independent care. It is just a one bedroom, and I made suggestions as to how they can rent it out with a few changes. It wasn't well maintained, and that is one of the things I told them. The door to the bathroom was hung the wrong way. It blocks the entry to the bedroom. The shower handles which pointed which was hot and which was cold was reversed. The curtain in the bedroom was all resident added. When we moved the bed covers, my wife and I sneezed. There is enough space to it. In fact, the one I am looking to go to is on the ground floor within ten yards of the swimming pool and within five yards of my handicapped parking which is outside my door. I don't even have to go to the reception area to get in my room. I could park my car, walk about five yards, get my key to the outer door, and go right in. It is very convenient. It is a two bedroom but actually it has an extra room which I can use as a place for my computer or study. I'll rate it the highest. Otherwise I wouldn't go there; if I found that what I wanted is not up to par, then I wouldn't even plan on going there.

February 18, 2015

I liked the Hawaii Kai. They saw me right away and took me all around. I thought the rooms were nice. I liked that the dining area was pretty close to where the rooms were. I really liked the setup. I thought it was really nice and clean.

November 30, 2014

By Kate18

Hawaii Kai is close to where my father's previous residence was, and it was going to be easy for friends to visit, plus they had a nice facility and reasonable rates. The staff members are very accommodating and very nice. They get to know their residents very quickly. It is just a very open, very nice facility. The rooms are of different sizes, so they have a lot of different options, they are all clean and very well-kept, and there is good security. They'll even bring a tray to his room if he doesn’t feel up to going down to the dining room; it is very healthy food, but there are lots of nice choices. They are very nice, they have lots of activities for the residents, and they have a lot of freedom to move around and go to visit different parts of the building. They have a good bus service to the local shopping areas. They really do try to keep the residents active and engaged. It is a very nice apartment and very well-appointed; there is a little kitchenette and a nice bathroom, so it is very comfortable.

August 28, 2014

When I went to Hawaii Kai, the people were absolutely nice. Everyone seemed content. I didn't see anybody there that wasn't happy. There was a friendly atmosphere. The food was actually better than expected. I went for a two-night stay and the room I was in was a one-bedroom. They had so much wasted space in a one-bedroom. I certainly wouldn't want that much room. Also, you could feel the box spring from the mattress. They should have at least made it comfortable. The pillow had a smell to it, like it wasn't a fresh pillow. I went out to the front desk at 9:30 at night because they said if you need anything, you just go to the front desk, but it was closed. They didn't have a lot of activities, but I did go into a singing group. I joined everything that was there for the short time that I was there and that was very nice. At night, if you look out, it is a beautiful view and the ocean is there, but there isn't anything to do. They should have something going on until at least midnight. The food was great. Everyone was enjoying themselves; however, dinner at 5 was way too early for me. Everyone was happy, it was just not my type of life. I don't like to just watch television at night. I would like to have more to do at night time. There, you could walk outside and it's nothing, but the beautiful view. It is like being out in a country to me. Nevertheless, I would certainly recommend this place to others.

August 13, 2014

Hawaii Kai was wonderful. It was clean; it was nice; and the people were very professional. The girl who gave me the tour was very knowledgeable and very caring about my situation. It seemed like a very nice place. The rooms were as I expected: a one-bedroom which was very nice and well-appointed. The dining room was like casual dining. The place was very clean and very well-maintained. The only drawback was the price.

February 01, 2014

By Andrei1

Hawaii Kai is in a very nice environment. It is in a nice and very secure area. It is a very nice community. I would love to stay there but it was just overpriced for me. I really don't have anything negative to say about it other than it's pricey. I did see that there was probably some minimal maintenance needed on some parts of it, but nothing major. They have very nice and very cordial people. I checked out a studio and it was really small, but at my point, I really don't need much more than that. The dining facility looked very nice. I had lunch there and it was fine. I met a couple of nice people and they did make an effort to make you feel comfortable. They did provide activities for their residents. They did have ample transportation everyday to go to for little things like go to the post office, to the grocery store, to wherever actually.

November 27, 2013

We visited Hawaii Kai and I like the place except that it's very far from where I am right now. The facility was quite nice and it was spacious. Their parking lot was adequate. The dining room was nice. The staff was a little bit friendly. I saw a studio apartment and it was quite small. I did not notice any activity at the time that I was visiting the facility, but I did notice a table with jigsaw puzzles laid out for whomever who wants to play with it and I like that.

July 11, 2013

By Joey3

I've found a place for my mom and it's called Hawaii Kai. It's one of the best here in Hawaii. It's very homey, there's a lot of support from the staff, a lot of activities, and a lot of acreage for the place itself. It's very widespread. She has a very large studio place. They do everything, all the meals included, so my mom didn't have to cook. We have once a week cleaning service.

August 08, 2012

By Allene1

There is an independent living section and an assisted living section. Clean, home like atmosphere. Good variety of meals in a relaxing enviroment. Very airy feeling in the hallways, common areas.

Independent Living Reviews for Hawaii Kai

August 30, 2018

By Harris

Hawaii Kai was good and facilities looked nice. The services were good and the staff was excellent. The dining area looked good and the people looked happy. There were several scenarios where there was an outdoor activity and an exercise class. They have a library, computer room, and various activity rooms. The staff member who showed me around was very good.

Hello Harris, thanks for visiting us at Hawaii Kai! It was great having you stop by. We appreciate the positive feedback and hope that you will decided to make our community your new home. Please reach out if you need any help!

March 21, 2018

By J.Y.

My mother is living in Hawaii Kai, and it's fine; however, my mom cannot adjust to it. I really liked the facility. The management staff is good. She's in the independent living but has an agency assisting her with medication and escorting her to meals. Her one-bedroom has a nice location and convenient access to dining, laundry, and the parking lot. The room is big enough for us. They have weekly housekeeping, but they clean diligently only when family members are around.

September 14, 2017

By Alex

Hawaii Kai was nice and the rooms were nice. The staff was nice, too.

April 11, 2017

By Jonathan776161

I chose Hawaii Kai because I got a tour and liked it. The people and everything, the building, the staff, and the amenities, are good. They make sure they walk you to your meals and back to the room to make sure you get back safely.

November 24, 2015

Hawaii Kai was good. It was nice and clean. I ate lunch there, and it was good. All of the meals looked good.

August 27, 2015

By Kathy112504650

I visited Hawaii Kai. The building was beautiful. I ate at the dining room, and the food was good. The only negative thing I have for this community is their apartments. They were small and plain, but I guess you're not supposed to be spending all your time in there. However, it looked like they have lots of nice things to do. They have yoga and dancing, and it was good.

January 17, 2015

By anonymous100410550

Hawaii Kai was a really nice community. They have various housing living styles. You can have an apartment, or you can have a cottage. The rooms were really nice. It was a fairly new facility.

October 16, 2014

By Buddy4

The only thing that’s keeping me from Hawaii Kai is the cost. It’s quite high. The rooms were very spacious. The dining room was like you were walking into any resort spa. They have light weights. They have walking areas, yoga, and chair exercise for arthritis.

September 23, 2014

I was very impressed with our tour at Hawaii Kai. It was nice when we got there because they had this little welcome sign for us and I feel that was very impressive. The biggest concern for me was the cost of the facility, but I saw that the staff seemed pretty good. I also like that it's light and airy and they have good activities.

September 12, 2014

By Maini1258

I visited Hawaii Kai, and I liked it. It was nice, and the people were very nice too. The food was very good.

May 10, 2014

By Jacquelyn3

I looked at Hawaii Kai because that is my home state, and I have family there, too. I went there in December. I love this facility. If I would go to an independent living or assisted living, that would be my choice. They treated me to lunch and it was wonderful. It was very, very good lunch, and it was the perfect portion for me, and I enjoyed it. The staff was wonderful; everything was very, very good. I love the place. If I were ready to go today, I would go there.

May 26, 2012

By catsanchez

I really like this retirement community center that my grandmother is at. From the outside it is really nice. I looks like a 5 star hotel. When you pull into the parking lot there is a nice foyer with a waterfall and driveway the takes you right to the front desk. The exterior of the facility is decorated with beautiful plants and greenery. When you walk in the people at the front all greet you kindly and ask you how they can help you in any way. When you look around the inside of the facility it is very nice. A big waterfall area is located right at the front. As I walk around looking for my grandmother's room, there are tons of fun amenities that are supplied by the facility. There is an exercise room with treadmills, work out machines and a lot of other exercise equipment. Then there is the cafe or place where the tenants get all their meals. This area is located on the second floor and overlooks the waterfall in the front of the building. This is a very nice area. The facility is all and all very nice. The people are also very nice too. I feel that my grandmother is at a great place!

Questions about Hawaii Kai

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Hawaii Kai. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age of Hawaii Kai retirement community residents is 80. Residents love going out on our Holo Holo drives twice a month where we tour the scenic island. They also enjoy visiting restaurants and our weekly outings. Back at home, favorite resident activites include playing bridge, poker, wii blowing, and bean bag baseball.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Restaurants, movie theaters, and three shopping centers are all within two to five miles of Hawaii Kai’s senior living campus.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Hawaii Kai has organized?

Recent off-campus outings include the Honolulu City Lights tour and two charity walks that many residents participated in to raise money for Alzheimer’s and cancer research.

What transportation services does Hawaii Kai offer to independent living residents?

Hawaii Kai offers complimentary scheduled transportation to and from doctors appointments as well as shopping, errands, and weekly excursions.

What makes the chef or dining program at Hawaii Kai exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our beloved chef has been with us for over 19 years. Residents can expect a diverse menu that always includes heart healthy choices as well as a resident’s choice and chef’s choice. Our culinary team often incorporates local fare into meals, which residents especially enjoy.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Hawaii Kai independent living community has several common areas including a library, game room, music room, ice cream parlor for parties and events, large exercise room, chapel, beauty salon, dining area, as well as a koi pond area in the building.

What safety features or security measures does Hawaii Kai offer to independent living residents?

We have staff onsite 24 hours. Residents also have GreatCall emergency response devices.

If Hawaii Kai accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Residents love walking their dogs on the walking path around our beautiful 23-acre campus.

Does Hawaii Kai work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Our assisted living program has care on campus. Independent living residents often chose to work with home health providers in the community as needed.

Costs for Hawaii Kai

Photos of Hawaii Kai

Services and Amenities of Hawaii Kai

• Housing Extra: Handicap Barrier Free Units Available, Individual Climate Control, Safety Rails In Bathroom, Telephone Hookup, Walk In Tub, Washer Dryer Hookup

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room, Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Pool
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Hot Tub, Parking: Garage, Private

• Technology Extra: Business Center, Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About Hawaii Kai

Every day feels special in our resort-style retirement community. Tucked in the stunning Kaʻalākei Valley, Hawaii Kai welcomes you to lush, tropical grounds and neighbors and staff who care about you and are always ready to share a laugh or a helping hand. Enjoy views of paradise from our renovated saltwater pool, or stroll by waterfalls and blooming plants on our walking paths. Dine on chef-prepared meals infused with local favorites and fare. Participate in fun activities within the community, or explore neighborhood dining, events, and shopping. When you’re looking for some city adventures, downtown Honolulu is 20 minutes away.

With upgrades to our grounds and new leadership who’s brought a renewed sense of ohana to the community, Hawaii Kai is more inviting than ever. Come experience our award-winning senior living community for yourself.

Hawaii Kai senior living highlights

• Independent living and assisted living
  • Chef-prepared meals with local flare
  • Activities and local cultural events
  • Intensive cleaning and safety protocols
  • Housekeeping and linen service
  • Salt water pools, jacuzzi, and koi pond
  • Walking paths and gym