South Port Square Port Charlotte, FL

Reviews of South Port Square

Assisted Living Reviews for South Port Square

June 17, 2014

By Joyce40

Harbour Terrace was wonderful. I loved the facility. Everyone was terrific and sweet. The people who greeted us and showed us around were super. The rooms were very nicely arranged, and the size was also nice. I liked the idea that they had small communities or a small group that sits together.

January 31, 2014

We did see Harbour Terrace. The facility was nice. Their rooms were nice and the dining room was okay. Everything was fine. It was just too expensive.

August 22, 2013

By chrissw

I placed my mother there almost 9 months ago and you could not ask for a more loving, caring and beautiful place. The care my mother gets is the BEST! They love her like she is their mother or grandmother. I am very, very happy with the choice I made and believe me, it wasn't an easy choice to make. I looked around a very long time before she went. She loves it and calls it home!

Nursing Home Reviews for South Port Square

August 21, 2017

By Christina

My husband was there at South Port Square from about the end of January through June and he was in an assisted living apartment for one month, but the rest of the time he was in skilled nursing. They definitely were an excellent facility. It was just that they were so far from my home, and I was driving about 54 miles every day. It was inconvenient. I thought their medical care was excellent, and the staff was very good. He didn't care for the food, although it was much better on the third floor than it was in skilled nursing. They were extremely expensive. They ought to do a better job of explaining exactly what the charges are because I did not know that the price they gave me was going to be raised. They had a lot of things to do, but he never really got into activities because he was too ill. It ranged up to as much as $9,000 a month, but that included all the personal service things. Overall, it's a really well-run and excellent facility.

November 21, 2016

I am disgusted with the lack of respect and hospitality with this place! My grandmother is part of the memory care unit and when we had visited her, she needed help going to the bathroom, so when I went to get a nurse to help her, she began to make derogatory comments about my grandmother in front of me!! Worst is the other nurses began to giggle, even the supposedly LPN in charge Doris. When I asked to see the nurses nametag who made the comment she refused to provide her identity and turned away from me and removed her nametag. When I stated I would speak to her supervisor, she made the sarcastic comment "Ooh, I'm trembling." She also continued to argue with me in the hallway where other patients were and I'm 9 months pregnant to add. This place has no bedside manners towards those who truly need help or even any respect for the family members wanting to come visit. Do your research before considering this place for your loved one...

December 10, 2015

By Steves_way84

Very nice grounds, good food, and decor. Very rude Aides & Nurses. You can pull the Room Cord, and they NEVER come to assist, & show total disregard and disrespect for residents of failing memories. One aide entered the room to check oxygen source, and ate food off residents plate while they were in the bathroom.

September 25, 2015

By joellen_isaac

My father was admitted to Harbour Health for rehab after his hip surgery. The therapist were excellent, he was up and walking that day and went back home after a week. Much stronger than when he arrived and happier too. The nursing staff members were attentive to his needs. All in all a very pleasent experience for Dad and me.

June 29, 2014

By tdague

I was recently a patient there and became gravely ill with c-dif ,which seems to be a problem there. They transferred me back to the hospital with little notice and lost my hearing aid and clothing in the process. After two months of inquiries about my hearing aids, I am beginning to see that no one cares. Pass on this place !!

April 11, 2014

My husband was in South Port Square in rehab. It has everything. It's real nice, but we couldn't afford it. If you went there to live, they have apartments. They have a dining room. You go there and eat in the dining room. The food was good there, even in the rehab. The staff was very good. The women who are interested do craft work there. They get together and do things, and they have entertainment. We like it being close to our home here where we live. We know people in this community, so that part was good.

October 10, 2013

By Lubasweet

This facility looks nice, but both my parents were there and both got C-Dif and there weren't many precautions taken. As a result, my Mom passed away. I would NOT recommend this facility.

March 29, 2013

By Mary48

The rooms are beautiful at South Port. The whole place is very nice. The nursing staff cares very much. They do as much as they can for getting patients in and out of appointments with doctors. They're able to take the patients out to go somewhere if they want to take them out to dinner. They do the laundry. The food seems very good. They're overall an A+ place.

June 20, 2012

By Jan3

The grounds and buildings are well maintained. When you drive up to the complex, it looks like a resort. There are nice places for the residents to walk and sit outside. They have good activities for the residents. My parents seem to enjoy all the activities, especially the musical programs. The elderly seem to like listening to music from when they were young. After residents expressed problems with the dining room/food, the facility addressed the concerns and things seem to have improved.I do have concerns with communication between the medical staff, aides, residents, residents' doctors, and residents' family. I don't think everyone at the facility is kept current of the residents' problems and concerns and what needs to be done for them. We have experienced things falling between the cracks when not followed up by the family. Some of this maybe due to my parents being fairly new residents, but I think some of it is due to the staff not being experienced or they are understaffed, or people not taking the initiative to resolve issues. I'm not really sure. However, overall we are happy with the facility and my parents are settling in ok.

January 20, 2012

By Ernie50

My father was at this facility for just over 24 hours before he died. He was recovering from heart surgery and was doing very well when he left the hospital. When I went to visit him just a couple of hours before he passed, I noticed the smell of feces as I passed several rooms. Medical staff were wandering around, noticibly not addressing the urine and fecal smell. When I spoke to my father, he told me that they left him laying in his own feces for hours without assisting him. I assured him that I was going to get him out of this facility the next morning, but I was too late. We never had an autopsy done, so I don't know what killed him. As a legal disclaimer, I am in no way saying that this facility is responsible for his death. I am only reporting what I observed and what was told to me by my father.

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for South Port Square

April 17, 2018

By Debbie

We chose South Port Square for my mother, and she's moving into the independent side. It's very high quality, it's really pretty, and the independent living is separate from the assisted living, which I like. The residents seemed happy, they actually sit on a 40-acre campus. They have all kinds of activities, and pretty much everything you want.

April 11, 2017

By Sherry674314

South Port was a very nice facility. The personnel was very nice to the people in the facility and very attentive. The physical therapy part of it was very organized. They actually worked with the residents instead of just leaving them on their own and encouraged them. They had a nice facility outside for sitting and had a koi pond and a little social area. They had transportation around town and wings for memory care and Alzheimer's. They also had a nice social room downstairs for the residents. I definitely would recommend them to others.

December 27, 2016

By Mary S3

We visited South Port Square. It was a huge, beautiful retirement community that you had to buy into, then you had a monthly fee, so it was expensive. They had all kinds of things and acitivities going on within the facility and transportation. They had really good food and provided a very light breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their grounds were beautiful, and the building was huge. They had independent and assisted living, plus rehabilitation. They had a couple of restaurants within the facility.

October 10, 2016

By Margaret119035250

South Port Square is much smaller. There were 2 apartment buildings. It was very nicely laid-out and they had a beautiful pool. They have all kinds of activities, and because of the weather, they do lots of trips year-round. Those were very appealing. They have a lovely dining room; I ate there, too. They also have a very friendly atmosphere and they’re very good. My only concern was it was strictly apartment and you had to be in an apartment. Everything was kept very nice.

March 22, 2016

By Virginia118137350

At South Port Square, the staff member who greeted us and explained the expectations was very thorough and very kind. She also adjusted the level of explanation so that I and my mother could understand it better. The grounds were beautiful. As for the rooms, whether you want a one-room efficiency or something larger, they have a good variety available. Everything was very attractive. This community was convenient for people that could drive, too, since they have a lot right there for residents.

February 29, 2016

By Michael124791850

The people in Brookdale were very friendly. They showed me the different sections, explained to me the ability to stay there through hospice, and gave me some pricing information. It’s a nice place, the single room had a kitchenette with a microwave and a small refrigerator. The dining area was nice, and the food smelled good.

November 30, 2015

By Maria115208050

South Port Square was wonderful. They have apartments and rehab all together in one area. They go out of their way to explain things to you, and they answered all the questions. Their rehab facility was wonderful. I haven’t tried the food, but a resident I knew said the food was wonderful.

July 28, 2015

By Albert11

South Port Square was very big and very elegant. It's nice to visit, but it's more like visiting a metropolitan city and going to one of the better brands of hotel in that city, which was nice for a few days, but I don't think many of us would care to live there. There was too much formality and it was too luxurious. I did not try the food, but no doubt a great deal of effort was put into it. The quality of the food was in terms of restaurant qualifications, and the variety of choices was certainly excellent. The serving times were quite rigid, which was not surprising, and it can be a little daunting and disappointing. It's very close to the water, and it's very close to commercial areas in Port Charlotte. It's like a little tiny village in which there are quite a few residences like the one that I visited, hospitals, and institutions. It's quite a lovely area.

We’re delighted you visited South Port Square. Port Charlotte really is a wonderful area and we are just minutes away from restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, doctor’s offices as well as various recreation activities. Our community also has a café that is open for breakfast and lunch between 7am-2pm for casual dining. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our community.

June 15, 2015

By Ann108044050

South Port Square was an amazing facility. It would be an ideal place that you would want to retire to if you could afford it. The staff was absolutely superior. They were excellent. They did everything that they could do to make the visit a pleasant experience.

January 19, 2015

By anonymous100392450

I have visited the South Port Square. The rooms were nice, and they are of good size. It is a very good facility.

September 30, 2014

By Reida1

The one that I do like the most and I would consider going to, if I were going to go to one, would be South Port Square. I like it because it is laid out like a campus. It’s not a high-rise building. I like it because of all the activities they have. They have shows. They have dances where the residents can dance as well. They have aqua exercises and various things like that. You name it, they have it. It’s not cheap, but it’s a great place if you can afford it. The staff is friendly and wonderful. The rooms are lovely. They have loads of closet space. It’s a wonderful facility, and I would recommend it very highly. The food is wonderful at South Port Square. I’ve had meals there. They have 2 different restaurants. One is casual, and one is a little more formal. Any day if you want to have your big meal at lunch time, you can do that. If you want to have your big meal at dinner time, you can do that. You’re not locked into a definite schedule, so I like that.

July 31, 2014

I like South Port Square very much. The gentleman spent 4 more hours with me and my daughter. He took me all over, explained everything, financials, what they had, what it included. He brought me up to a lounge room where people were meeting every night and having a before-dinner drink. The people were lovely. What I had was very good. I only had one meal there but it was very, very good. The other thing that I liked about it is it's continuing care so that if you should get sick and need it for whatever reason, you don't have to go to another facility. They just take care of you right in your room. I like the idea of that. The grounds were lovely. The rooms were beautiful, very, very well-kept. It's not the cheapest place here. They did say to me if I like to come up and stay for 2 or 3 days, they'll make arrangements for me and I get to feel this place which I thought was a very good idea.

June 25, 2014

By LovelyLady13

My friend happened to have a room at South Port Square. It is a complex with independent living, senior care, and then nursing. I wasn't really happy with them. It was clean, and the staff was friendly, but I think it was more lip service than anything else. It is the most exclusive, the most expensive care facility in that area, so I just expected a lot more from them. We chose it because my friend wanted only the best and the most expensive or the most exclusive. The food was horrible. Every day they had some activities. They have a separate bedroom and living room, and there's a small kitchen and a small bath.

April 11, 2014

South Port Square is just so huge. They have single living apartments; they have homes. They have 6 or 7 tall several-story buildings. I wouldn't want anything that huge. The doctor tells me I have no knees, and it would be very difficult for me to get around, but if you really want to go there and have the money, it's very expensive. You could whistle for a cart or something to get you around. There are little ice cream shops around in there, and if you lived in a distant building, you would have to have a little cart to take you to their ice cream shop. Because it's so full all the time, you would actually have to know someone to let them into their unit. The rooms were more spacious, but they were very nice. You wouldn't be embarrassed to invite people to see you. It's very, very pleasant. It is really beautiful, and they just keep adding tall buildings all around.

December 27, 2013

By Diane17

I found South Port Square to be a wonderful facility. I moved in this facility three months ago and I just love it! It's a Brookdale. It's a big place, there are a lot of grounds here, yet I have never seen grounds kept that well. It's a retirement community but they do have assisted living. I'm in the retirement place. The people who work here are wonderful. They're great people! Evidently, the people who run it are also great! I have a bedroom, a living room and a little kitchen. It's wonderful. There is a lot of activities everyday. We eat in a dining room and food is good. They also have a little ice cream shop where you can go and have lunch and ice cream. It's very nice and very inexpensive. I certainly would recommend South Port Square.

November 29, 2013

By Mary48

South Port Square was a beautiful place and I am sure the patients were well taken care of. I had not tasted the food but it seemed to be wonderful and the guests said that it's very good. The staff that I had talked seemed extremely caring. They were wonderful in handling their patients. The only thing that we wondered about was that they seemed to be understaffed. We had been there a couple of times, there was nobody who answered the door for a while and a couple times, it took a while for me to get out of there because there was no one to let us out the door. That would be the scariest part. They needed more staff. I do know they had some entertainment especially on weekends they took their patients to another building or another part of the campus. I thought they were well qualified.

September 10, 2013

By Enid1

We just moved to South Port. We sleep here two nights and so far everybody is very helpful and friendly. The food is not bad, not terribly gourmet, but it is certainly good.

August 26, 2013

By Robert49

South Port Square was nice. They had everything that I liked. They even had a swimming pool. They had a lot of things going on. The food was very good and they had a beautiful dining room.

July 23, 2012

By Lolly2

I visited South Port Square of Port Charllotte and the average age there is 80. It's a smaller community. The people there are very caring and very nice. The people are very much look after each other. Actually, even though it wasn't as resortish as the other facility that I visited I would probably prefer this one. I think the staff in South Port Square is much more caring and the staff is more personal. Even though they have a few activities, they're not so much into them. The people though all of them are older they still help each other.
See all Continuing Care Retirement Community reviews (19) See fewer reviews

Photos of South Port Square

Services and Amenities of South Port Square

• Coffee Shop
  • Golf
  • General Store
  • Pool
  • Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym, W/D In Apt.

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Computer Class

• Home Sale Assistance

About South Port Square

South Port Square provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Nestled on 40 lush, tropical acres amid five lakes, South Port Square is conveniently located in the heart of Charlotte County.

Map of South Port Square