Brookdale Gainesville Southwest

1001 SW 62nd Blvd, Gainesville, FL 32607
Brookdale Gainesville Southwest (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 4 days

Independent and Assisted Living new residents receive $500 off the 1st full month and 4th full month free Base Rent. Must take financial possession by 2/28/2021. Ask for details when you tour.

Reviews of Brookdale Gainesville Southwest

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Gainesville Southwest

November 09, 2018

By Beth

My client is in Brookdale Gainesville Southwest. So far, everything has been great. I did go and eat with her one day and the wait staff in the dining room was not up to my liking, but other than that everything seems to be going OK. The activities were good. The fact that they get her up and make her go and eat is astounding. I love that.

March 07, 2017

By Sandra308475

I’ve selected Brookdale Gainesville Southwest. We like it. The food and everything is good. The facilities are nice. We’ve had a couple of times where we had to ask them three or four times to fix a closet door that fell off the hinges. I don’t know if it’s lack of communication as far as getting my mother-in-law’s laundry service taken care of, but other than that, it’s a lovely place, and the people are friendly. They have some crafts and visiting people who bring service animals. Yesterday, they had miniature horses come to visit and several musicians sing and play piano and flute. They also have activities with ice cream socials, coffee, donuts, and popcorn. They do have yoga or meditation in the mornings and exercise in their big activity room. The rooms are very nicely sized. The bathrooms are very good. The ceilings are nice and tall, at least 9 ft to 10 ft tall, which gives you more of a spacious feeling.

January 07, 2017

By Patricia272448

If my parents had to go into assisted living, I would definitely go with Brookdale Gainesville Southwest. It wasn’t great, but it was good. It didn’t seem as upbeat, and I could hardly see anybody. They did have nursing services and some events. The price was a little higher, and that was one of our main concerns, too.

May 21, 2016

By AudreyYAMSK

Brookdale Gainesville Southwest was small with 60 beds for assisted living, but it's fine and very affordable. We were happy that the services were ala carte so you only pay for the services that you need which really was a plus for us because my mother-in-law doesn't really need extra care. If you need help with medications, you only pay for that, and if you need help for bathing and dressing, you only pay for that. You only pay your rent, which includes food, housekeeping and laundry, and then all of the other assisted services are as needed. My mother-in-law likes the food. It's good for old people, and they keep their menu pretty current. They change it and ask the residents if they want something different.

February 24, 2016

By Connie120280850

All of the rooms at Brookdale Gainesville were very small, but everyone was very nice and wonderful. The salesperson that spoke with us constantly checked on us and asked what was going because we were still deciding on help for my mother-in-law. Overall, it was very nice.

December 29, 2015

My father-in-law is residing at Brookdale Gainesville Southwest. Everyone has been very nice and competent. I like that the rooms are new and very spacious. They also have a lot of activities, like exercise classes, and sometimes they take the residents out for lunch and shopping trips, too. The dining room is clean, and the food is very good. It is a great place overall.

October 28, 2015

Brookdale Gainesville Southwest (formerly Emeritus at Gainesville) was very comfortable, and there were a lot of activities there. There was no shopping close by, but there was a van available to take you to shopping. They had three meals, and the staff was very good. They should just make it affordable for us people that don't have a lot of money.

September 17, 2015

My father was at Brookdale Gainesville Southwest (Formerly Emeritus at Gainesville) for 30 days; it was horrific, and I had to move him. I don't like anything about it. The staff was not good at all. They basically were neglecting my father, leaving him stuck in the bed. They did not give the meds right. The whole thing was a mess. He had a studio apartment, the food was OK, he didn't complain about it, and they also had chair exercises.

We are sorry to hear Brookdale Gainesville Southwest did not meet your expectations. Please be assured the safety and well-being of our residents is our first priority, and we have shared your feedback with our regional team. We would like to learn more about your experience, and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296.

August 27, 2015

By Mary112305850

Brookdale Gainesville Southwest was a very nice place. When we visited the place, their rooms were very nice and comfortable. We would have plenty of room, but again I didn’t feel at home there. It was very clean. The staff was courteous. We were not able to eat there, but we looked at the residents who were eating and they all seemed to be very pleasant. It has a nice atmosphere, but their price was exceptionally high.

May 29, 2015

Very nice people work at Brookdale Gainesville Southwest (Formerly Emeritus at Gainesville). The community seems to be quite tight, and the residents enjoy themselves as well as they can with the situations that they're having. And it is reasonably priced.

February 25, 2015

We placed my father in Emeritus at Gainesville. The staff is what I'd call acceptable, but I find occasionally I have to micromanage issues myself to makes sure things are done. That is something I don't like. They rely on a lot of medical technicians which sometimes can cause problems with communications with my parents. Sometimes they are untrained. I feel for what I am paying, I'm not getting as much of the services that I expected, but I'm told that is a typical problem for ALFs. The room is big. It is nicely sized, and I feel like the space of the room is not the problem. It is more of the staff that is the issue. My father doesn't like going to the dining room, so he tries to take food to his room as much as he can. He complains that the food is repetitive and kind of boring, but he's getting three meals a day, and he is eating them. My father hasn't been participating in them, but I see when I visit what they do. They have like social hours every day, bingo, and get togethers. They seem to offer a lot of activities, and I'm pleased to see that they at least have it. As for security, I haven't heard of any issue, but it is not difficult to just walk out. It is not a lockdown facility, but I think they lock the doors at night time and you have to ring a buzzer to get back in. But there is no security during the day time from what I see. They need to improve the attention to detail as far as customer satisfaction goes. Even billing has an issue. It is a large company, and sometimes the staff of the local facility doesn't necessary know what the people at the corporate office are doing.

November 17, 2014

By Stacey10

The staff was very informative at Emeritus at Gainesville. They showed us both the assisted living and the memory care facility. It feels very homey, and they have a sufficient amount of activities. The facility is very well maintained on the inside, and the rooms were very well kept and maintained. The outside was lacking in several upkeep -- their sidewalks in particular. It could definitely been better maintained. They need to upgrade their outside. They are very convenient to shopping or to a hospital, and it is also in a very good neighborhood.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we need to focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

August 27, 2014

Emeritus is good, but it's expensive. It's nicer, too. They showed us the model room. You can bring your own furniture, and there's nice closet space. They have recreation too, and they will provide vans for the residents to go places. The staff is nice and friendly. I talked to the lady in the office. I think they have a live-in manager. They have rocking chairs outside. I saw some of the residents go out and sit down and chat. It's pretty good. It's a home away from home.

August 15, 2014

By larita

For the most part this is an ok facility. My father is mostly happy here. Most of the employees are friendly and caring. Shortly after he moved in there was a change in management and office personal. They can't seem to get his bill and certification sent to his insurance company on time. Every month it's quite an issue. I have to call or go see the billing department to get it done. The others from nursing to maintenance have been really good, caring people and seem to do their job well. I have mixed feelings about him remaining there. Oh yes and the rent has gone up after a year as well.

November 27, 2013

By Riley1

Emeritus was a good place. Their rooms were nice and clean. Their staff was cooperative and good. Even the guests that were there, they seemed to be pretty happy. This would be a good place.

September 25, 2013

By not for my relatives

This is where an employee at discharge of my mother pushed her in a sit down walker that collapsed causing her to have to go to the hospital for stitches and brain scans. The staff rushed in to reassure me that falls are never their fault because elderly people fall a lot. The place is pretty grubby. They gave a snack of chocolate brownies at 11:30 A.M. \ even though lunch was at noon. I asked why, and they said they were running late and a snack is required by law. Not enough employees. My mother stayed 4 days and I took her out.

September 24, 2013

Before my mother passed away, she stayed in Emeritus for a month. Generally, I liked the people. I thought they were nice and fine. I also thought that the atmosphere was nice as far as appearance. They did have many activities there. They had ice cream socials, Las Vegas night where they played a lot of games of chance. My mom wasn't able to take advantage of most of them because she was older and in a wheelchair. She wasn't that active physically and mentally. However, she did seem pretty happy there. She was well taken care of there. The only thing I didn't like was the food. I ate there sometimes and I thought it was substandard. The portions weren't very much and they didn't taste very good to me.

September 10, 2013

By Millie2

The staff at Emeritus at Gainesville had been very nice. I saw a one bedroom apartment and it was clean and spacious. I liked that there was an independent living area and memory care area in the building. It seemed a little institutionalized and smelled a little. They wanted to put him in the memory care and I thought my husband was not ready for that although he gets confused a little bit. Besides, that area smelled a little bit more and I did not want to put him there.

August 27, 2013

By Caring For Dad1

Emeritus is a very nice facility. It is kind of homey and it doesn't feel like institutionalized. This is one of the reasons why I placed my father there. They do assistance to bathing, to giving medication, etc. Food is okay. They have different things they can choose from each day. Right now my father is doing okay there. However, Emeritus does not have long-term or skilled nursing care, so if my father would need those types of care, then that would be drawback for us. They have a wellness nurse in their facility but they can't do certain things that a regular nurse can.

August 26, 2013

By Sheilah1

Emeritus at Gainesville was very nice. The grounds were beautiful. The people were extremely friendly. The staff seemed to be very competent. The rooms were nice. It was very affordable and recommendable.

July 30, 2013

By Kristen7

Emeritus seem to be the best one in the Gainesville area if you need assisted living. My mother-in-law is 90 years old, but she didn't need that much. People seem to be a little bit more active there. They have a memory care unit that we did not go in because they didn't think it was going to be a necessity for my mother-in-law. We liked the lady that showed us around. The place is very well-maintained. I have a really good sense of smell, and it didn't smell like urine. I don't know what it's like on a daily basis, but I know that I liked what we saw compare to other places. The dining room was nicer and the food looked good, but we did not eat any. For an assisted living, I thought this was a nice place. I was impressed.

May 24, 2013

By LInda62958050

I really liked Emeritus at Gainesville. That's where my mother is going when she gets out of rehab. The people, accommodations, and amenities are very nice. The residents all looked happy, the employees were very pleasant and happy. I didn't see anything negative. I feel confident that my mother is going to get good care.

April 30, 2013

We visited the memory care wing of Emeritus because it was highly recommended by our friends. The place had clean and wide hallways. The facility was really pleasant and well-kept. The rooms were upscale and you could bring your own furniture.

November 28, 2012

By caring11231

The staff in Emeritus at Gainesville was really, really nice. When I visited I didn't really go through the rooms but I did notice though when I first walked in the counter was dirty. I did look on floor and the edges in the hallways but I didn't see anything else, it was just the counter that was dirty.

April 10, 2012

By tcruise

My grandmother is a current resident of Emeritus. The grounds and exterior are very well maintained. She gets a lot of individual attention. The nice thing is that she has the opportunity to interact with other residents. She looks forward to her weekly card games. She is in a private room, which allows her to retain privacy but still have support if she needs it. She also likes the fact that they have transportation to attend church and go to the mall/grocery store. (Thank goodness she doesn't drive anymore).

April 03, 2012

By gom

I researched this property for mother. I choose this property because it is affordable and close to my job. The facility is very clean and staff is friendly and helpful. My biggest concern is that she is well taken care of. They motivate my mother by encouraging her to attend activities at the center. I am very impressed that administrator knows all the residents. They also have a chef on board and the food is very good.

February 14, 2012

By abcde

Memory care has gone downhill in the last 6 months or so. It was OK for a while, but most of the good staff have left. The place is dirty- We found a roach in a supposedly clean bed. They let problems go until our relative had to be taken to the emergency room-- we have since moved him to a different care facility. They are just not taking care of the people or the environment. Looks like maximizing corporate profit has become the goal.

January 05, 2012

By jfeulner

Caring for my Mom been a bitter sweet experience from the very beginning! And I can't say enough about the staff and caregivers for my mom at Emeritus. There support and guidance was amazing! And now after the first week, the care for my mom has been outstanding! My Mom says she is truly enjoying her new Home!

November 23, 2011

By jersi

High Employee turn around in memory care. Inconsistent care provided. Not enough staff on weekends. Repairs and complaints go unadressed. Some nice people and some not so nice. Not very clean in general. Routine tasks sometimes don't get done. My dad constanlty complains about and does not eat the food. The staff is generally pretty attentive. I think the management focuses on profit maximization. While they exhibit concern face to face, they generally do not repond or follow up with repairs and complaints.

June 01, 2011

By BarnaCalif

Friend or relative of resident

When I visit my grandfather at Emeritus at Gainesville, I find myself quite impressed, dare I say, even a tad jealous. The first thing I noticed when I went was the rather impressive amount of facilities, from a computer room, a library, a store, even an ice cream parlor, and that is not the full list, just my favorites. Also to top things off, they even allowed pets, so my grandfather was able to bring his Schnauzer along with him. The staff from what I saw, all were quite nice and definitely knew what they were doing, a statement my grandfather also agrees with. Speaking of the staff they also have a wonderfully staffed cafeteria, well actually it it more like a restaurant, which the food was top-notch when I visited, of which the Facility also includes guest suites as well, so when the residents want to have company, they already have that all set and ready to go. All and all, its a great place, like I said, I almost felt a little sad to leave when the visit ended last time, and had a slight desire to already be retired myself to enjoy the laid back life, but alas many years before that. In conclusion the only thing that left me leaving a 4 star rating is that even though the facility was amazing, there could always be improvement (but not much I will admit).

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Gainesville Southwest

Questions about Brookdale Gainesville Southwest

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All staff receive initial dementia care training upon hire that provides guidance and techniques in supporting those residents with dementia and memory care needs. Monthly our associates receive in person in service training reviewing dementia care and working directly with residents with dementia needs from our Clare Bridge Program Manager. Additionally they receive monthly training through our intensive computer based training programs.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Gainesville Southwest. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have a 100 apartment community with 70 in AL and 30 in MC. The average age is 77 years old. Favorite things to do include: outings, bingo, B-fit exercise, gardening.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer B-fit exercise program, Flex Your Brain trivia and games, Grow Your Brain sign language classes, and walking club.

What places are near Brookdale Gainesville Southwest or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

The Oaks Mall, Kanapaha Botanical Gardens, Museum of Natural History, and multiple restaurants and shopping centers.

What transportation services does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest offer to assisted living residents?

Tuesday and Thursday transportation services to and from appointments and shopping as well as weekly outings on other days.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest offer to assisted living residents?

We have all alert systems in every room and bathroom and pendants for every resident, safety bars in bathrooms, and doors are monitored and locked at specific times by concierge.

How does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

All staff communicated daily in person, email, and by phone with both residents and their families.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Gainesville Southwest during daytime and nighttime hours?

Brookdale staffs to the direct needs of our residents. Every resident receives an individualized care plan that provides detailed information about the care needs of the resident. This system collectively provides the amount of staffing needed to provide the best care for our residents. This always meets the state regulations and most often exceeds the recommendation of state.

If Brookdale Gainesville Southwest accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are very pet friendly. Pets are allowed leashed in many of the common areas except the dining room, as well as outside areas.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All staff receive initial care training upon hire that provides guidance and techniques in supporting those residents needs. Monthly our associates receive in person in service training reviewing care and working directly with residents.. Additionally they receive monthly training through our intensive computer based training programs.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest provide to protect residents who wander?

We have a secured unit and 24 hour staffing

What programs or activities does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Brookdale utilizes the Clare Bridge program which focuses on engaging residents of all abilities. This program follows “The Daily Path” which provides a reassuring structure, engagement, and physical/mental stimulation. Residents follow a structured daily routine that includes meal services, mental and physical workouts, refreshments, creative arts and crafts, and musical engagement.

Our Health and Wellness Director assesses residents prior to admission, upon admission, 15-30 days after admission, and then quarterly for the extent of the residents stay at our community. In addition, if the resident has a change in their condition we also complete a new assessment at that time.

What techniques does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Residents start their meals with our Refresh program which helps not only with hygiene but engaging the senses and encouraging appetite. Meals are served restaurant style with multiple meal options available. Brookdale Columbus will accommodate different diet needs, and can prepare foods in several ways to encourage independence and maintain the dignity of the residents.

How does Brookdale Gainesville Southwest keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We have care conference meetings quarterly to keep families up to date with the overall well being of their loved one. In addition, we will always communicate with our families if there is a change in a resident’s day to day normal.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Gainesville Southwest. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

residential setting, located close to healthcare providers.

Is Brookdale Gainesville Southwest affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are not affiliated with a particular hospital. Residents are transported to their hospital of choice. There are three major hospitals locally.

Photos of Brookdale Gainesville Southwest

• Memory Care Training

• State Licenses: AL9394

About Brookdale Gainesville Southwest

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #9394