Atria Hamilton Heights

Reviews of Atria Hamilton Heights

Assisted Living Reviews for Atria Hamilton Heights

October 01, 2020

By Katherine

I visited Atria Hamilton Heights. They have more diversity in their community and in their staff. Because my stepmother is a Jewish they're a big Jewish community. They have Shabbat every Friday. They have a different meal plan where it's continuous grazing. It's a much bigger facility. They have many more amenities than the other one. They have the big meal at dinner time instead of lunch. In addition to the dining room, they have a bistro where you can order sandwiches and grilled stuff all day long. They have a cafe where you can get coffee and pastries all day long. They have a pub that's open on the weekends where they have live entertainment when we don't have COVID. They have a movie theater. Instead of just watching your TV alone, you can go and meet family and friends in the movie theater. They show movies five times a day when it's not COVID. You literally have the theater experience. They have physical therapy onsite, like a separate room for physical therapy. The downside, I think, is their elevator. It is very small and dark, but otherwise it's OK. They have many unique floor plans also, so you have a lot of choices. They also offer a roommate program. If you want to share a two-bedroom to split the cost with somebody, a person could also do that. The staff was friendly. I haven't had as much interaction with them, but they are very caring towards people. I did get to witness three young men taking people outside to sit out in the sun. They didn't just drop them off, they actually sat and had a conversation with the ladies and did everything to make them comfortable. They were very good. I have not tried their food, but by the looks of it, it's probably comparable. I'm going to give them a five-plus because they also do at the holidays serve kosher food. For my family, that might be important. The facility is very good. Just like I said they have many amenities, I think it's impressive. I did not see the memory care unit per se. They have a walled-in patio with umbrella tables so that people can go sit outside. It's very, very nice. It's very affordable.

October 04, 2017

By Robert Buchanan

Would not recommend this place. No real concern for the elderly, money driven. They prey upon your "what's best for Mom" emotions and try to make it sound like they care. They don't. I feel this industry really needs to be more regulated. You'll get that same gut feeling, and trust me, your gut feelings are correct. This is how the 2 week respite went. Pressured driven sales tactics, Trying to get you to sign agreements for longer than you want prior to moving in, the old bait and switch. Poor follow up and follow through. My Mom needed an ottoman for an open wound she had on her leg and it was very important for her to keep it elevated. The Executive Director, who met us upon arrival and showed her to her room said he would get her one that night before he left. He was cordial, affable, and courteous. That was Thursday. When I came back on Monday, she still didn't have one. He never got it- I had to go out and get it. This was the FIRST day - and he is the guy running the place. His response - "Oh, I'm sorry". Not enough staff on. This place is big and getting around is very difficult. No signs anywhere. It's ridiculous. Elevators go to different parts of the complex, some go to the third floor, some don't. My mother was lost multiple times because of this. No one around to help her find her way led to frustration, crying and defecating in her clothes because she couldn't find her way to her room or get help. After the 3rd day, she wanted to come home. Since I paid up front for the 2 weeks, I asked her to please stay. After her release, they sent in home health care for follow ups. At this point, our family had spoken to and convinced our Mom to give it another try for a longer period of time. She said she would give it another chance. So, a few days before she was to go back, the home care worker from Atria told her "once you leave your home to go to Hamilton House, you're never coming back to your home". That threat scared my mother into not wanting to go. And as my mother put it, "if she said it once, she said it 50 times, your never coming back to your home". This representation of Hamilton House scared my mother into not going. So when I contacted the Executive Director and told him about this, I gave him my Moms number so he could talk to her, reassure her... whatever he needed to do to convince her to come back. My mother said to me "why would I believe him" referencing to his lack of follow through in her respite stay. He did apologize and say that he was sorry for the whole incident. A month later, I was sent a bill for $11,000 for time not spent at this place. I've called and emailed multiple times with no response. Think twice before you consider this place.

Robert, your comments are concerning, and we’d like to help. If you would like to speak with someone directly, please email us, and we’ll get you connected.

September 24, 2017

By kitchen master

Would not recommend this place. Unfortunately, all they really want is your money. No real concern for the elderly. They prey upon your "what's best for Mom" emotions and try to make it sound like they care. They don't. You'll get that same gut feeling, and trust me, your gut feelings are correct. This is how the 2 week respite went. 1) Pressured sales tactics, Trying to get you to sign agreements prior to moving in. 2) Poor follow up and follow through. My Mom needed an ottoman for an open wound she had on her leg and it was very important to keep it elevated. The Executive Director who met us upon arrival and showed her to her room said he would get her one. He was cordial, affable, and courteous. That was Thursday. When I came back on Monday, she still didn't have one. He never got it- I had to go out and get it. This is the guy running the place. His response - "Oh, I'm sorry". 3) Not enough staff on. This place is big and getting around is very difficult. No signs anywhere. Elevators go to different parts of the complex, some go to the third floor, some don't. My mother was lost multiple times because of this. No one around to help her find her way led to frustration, crying and defecating in her clothes. 4) After the 2 week respite, they send in their home health care for follow ups. At this point, we had convinced our Mom to give it another try for a longer period of time. ***The biggest hurdle the elderly have at this stage in their life is the possible finality of leaving their home, pure and simple. So, a few days before she was to go back, the home care worker from Atria told her "once you leave your home to go to Hamilton House, you're never coming back". That threat scared my mother into not wanting to go. And as my mother put it, "if she said it once, she said it 50 times, your never coming back to your home". Is there such a thing as elderly bullying? That's what this is. This representation of Hamilton House scared my mother into not going. Think twice before you consider this place.

Hello, We take your concerns and feedback seriously. It's concerning to hear about your family's experience. I will alert the Regional Vice President of your concerns. Don’t hesitate to contact us if there’s anything else I can assist with.

December 16, 2016

By Jane821162

Atria Hamilton Heights was the one we selected. It's nice, antique, has character, and friendly. The staff was great. The rooms were nice and clean with great window views. The activities looked great. There was an activity room or a day room, a pub, and a chapel.

September 30, 2015

By Beth42

We liked and chose Atria Hamilton Heights for my mother-in-law. The person who gave us the tour was wonderful and gracious. All the residents loved the staff and the facility. They had a full schedule of things, which was really important.

July 08, 2015

By DupedRelative

The place is huge , quiet and depressing. The "activities" such as they are are sparsely attended, if at all. Every night I visited the movie theater played movies to an empty room. Once my Mother was there all they did was constantly push higher levels of service at higher cost- which is no surprise, the place is partially empty even though all competing facilites have waiting lists. Mom's jewelry had a tendancy to dissappear- fast. The nursing staff does little more than call the ER and they never return family calls. The residents in the dining room could be cruel and abusive -oddly, just like cliques in high school. But the furniture and interior decoratiing is sure nice here.

Thank you for this valuable feedback. Your comments are concerning to us and we’d like to learn more about your mother’s situation. Please reach out to us.

July 06, 2015

My visit to Atria was very good. The rooms were good. The dining room was set up like a cruise ship, and I liked the food. They have Bingo and card games, and they go out to visit places. Security was OK.

December 28, 2014

I liked Atria better. It’s bigger and seemed more organized. The rooms and dining room were fine. They had enough room, and they were OK.

October 22, 2014

By Linda85996850

I thought Atria was a beautiful place but it was a little too far from where we lived. I wanted something that was a little closer to make it more convenient for me. From what we saw, it looked nice, and the rooms were comfortable. They had activities during the day all the time, it was big -- almost like a mansion -- and it was very nicely kept. I thought it was a little large for what we were looking for.

October 18, 2014

By Doug15

I went to Atria without an appointment and they treated me very well. It was a very nice, inclusive tour and they gave me a lot of information.The tour was conducted by the director of the place, it is a beautiful but expensive community . I toured the apartments and it is a wonderful place for someone who needs assisted living.

July 31, 2014

By Rosemarie6

Atria Hamilton Heights is excellent. I looked at quite a few facilities and I didn’t see anything as excellent as Atria. The staff are wonderful and they offer help all the time. The rooms are beautiful and they have little apartments too. The food is delicious. They have happy hours and they offer a lot of things all day long. They play cards, do Yoga, everything. We chose Atria because they seem very caring. As far as I am concern, they are excellent.

March 27, 2014

By Kevin8

We visited Atria and I liked it equally as much as the other one; it just came down in price. The staff was very nice. It was an older building and remodeled former live-in high school. However, it's kind of historic with a lot of charm to it. It seemed like they had a little bit more space, but I don't know if that's always a good thing. In terms of my dad, I thought he was more comfortable in something that was a little bit easier to maneuver around.

November 29, 2013

By Geri1

Atria was a beautiful facility. Everything looked really nice. The staff was extremely friendly. There was no doubt in my mind as far as how I wanted my parents to live there. However they had decided not to go an assisted living and just stay here at home.

November 20, 2013

By David71383150

Atria was very upscale. It was more engaging for the residents. It seemed to be more independent type, something that I would have considered for my brother to live in the earlier stages. The staff was excellent and wonderful.

August 14, 2013

By Bubbe1

Moving my parents from their home was very difficult but necessary due to illness and physical restrictions. I looked at many facilities; in most the individuals just sat around, there were no activities, it was dungy looking and a constant odor. When I walked into Hamilton Heights, it was very different. The building was beautiful and I liked the fact that there were several gathering rooms for family and friends to visit, a kitchen to be used to make family meals and the individual apartments that were available to help the semblance of individuality for the residents. There were tons of activities, and a van that took the residents out on a weekly basis. Staff was always there to make us feel welcome and answer any/all questions that we had during the selection process as well as during my Mom's care there. Eventually she did need to be moved to a nursing facility as she suffered a stroke and could no longer stay there. It was a sad day when we left as we had made many friends with the staff as well as other residents.

February 22, 2013

By Clara1

Atria Hamilton Heights is a high-end facility. The place was very historic and was restored in a very elegant manner. It was a beautiful, well-maintained place. He made friends there and he didn't have any general complaints. However, I did not feel that the medical staff was as responsive as they should be. They could also improve on communication with family. I did not feel that they did a good job with that. But the facility was certainly clean at all times.

We appreciate your feedback about our community and welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with us. Please contact us and include your review details and the community name so that we can talk further about the situation.

July 11, 2012

By lhunter

While I go to visit my great aunt frequently, the last time that I went to visit her (this past Friday) I had an experience that really stuck out in my head. At Hamilton Heights there is a large room on the main floor where residents go to play games/hear music etc. They get their entertainment there. While in there I noticed an elderly woman who was sitting in her wheelchair crying. She was sitting next to me, so I leaned over and asked her if she was okay. She told me that she was in a great deal of pain, and had been waiting for 2 hours for the nurse to come and administer her pain medicine. This was about 4 o clock pm. I felt so bad for her, because she was clearly uncomfortable so I went to the receptionist and told her what was going on. I heard her radio to the nurse to tell her that this particular patient was "still waiting for her meds." I was still standing there when I heard the nurse radio back telling her that she was "late for her anniversary dinner" and that "the resident would be fine." I was floored. However, the receptionist did not look nearly as surprised as I was which made me think, how often does that happen around here? It really bothered me, so I plan to talk to the man in charge of the facility this week in regards to this episode. Normally, when I go here, I never see problems or residents that are in discomfort, but this time was different, and it just seemed to wrong to keep this resident in pain because the nurse was "late for dinner" Really?

Thank you for your feedback regarding Atria Hamilton Heights. We're very sorry to hear about your experience at our community, and we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. Atria is proud of the high standard it sets for its senior living communities, and strives to continually improve the experience of all residents and families. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit with us in more detail. Please feel free to email us directly and include the community name.

June 29, 2012

By Nicki0126

Atria Hamilton provides a warm, friendly, extremely clean and caring atmosphere for their residents and visitors. My father, who was recently diagnosed with Lateral Sclerosis (a form of ALS) is normally cared for by my 69 year old mother. A few months back my 96 year old maternal grandmother suffered a near fatal massive heart attack in Northern Maine, her prognosis was not good at all. My mother, though she is my father's primary care taker was grieving at the thought of never being able to see her mother again. She knew that without proper care for my father she'd never be able to make the 10 hour trip. She was put in contact with Atria Hamilton who is an assisted living facility and they welcomed my dad for the week with open and very caring arms so my mother could essentially travel up north to say goodbye to her own mother, she needed this closure and thanks to Atria Hamilton she got it. Though the staff and nurses often had to make special accommodations for my dad because of his failing health and lack of mobility they did this graciously and professionally making my dad feel at ease for the duration of his stay. To say their accommodations were amazing in definitely an understatement. Upon my dad's departure several of the staff begged my dad to keep in touch and went out of their way to see him off to take him back home. We were so grateful that there were such caring people available to help us when we were so desperate for the help. No words can express our gratitude to Atria Hamilton and all care givers out there.

January 21, 2012

By nancyj06460

Absolutely beautiful. Friendly and competent staff. I can feel at ease knowing my uncle is in a clean, safe environment.

Independent Living Reviews for Atria Hamilton Heights

• Walking Wheelchair Assistance

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

About Atria Hamilton Heights

At Atria Hamilton Heights, you'll enjoy modern, elegant senior living care set against the backdrop of Connecticut's rich history. The ambience and decor of the community's Vanderbilt-style architecture adds to the comfort of Atria Hamilton Heights, with amenities such as a comprehensive library with a cozy fireplace, a billiard parlor and bridge room, country store, and community garden.

Atria Hamilton Heights offers the following services:

• Staff available 24-hours a day
  • Choice of apartments
  • Anytime Cafe
  • Full-time director of events and activities
  • Emergency call system in every apartment
  • Daily restaurant-style meals
  • Housekeeping services
  • Maintenance of apartment, community and grounds
  • Medication assistance
  • Scheduled transportation
  • Memory Care - Life Guidance

Atria Senior Living is a leading operator of independent living, assisted living, supportive living and memory care communities in more than 200 locations in 28 states and seven Canadian provinces. We are the residence of choice for more than 20,000 seniors, and the workplace of choice for more than 12,000 employees. We create vibrant communities where older adults can thrive and participate, know that their contributions are valued, and enjoy access to opportunities and support that help them keep making a positive difference in our world.

Map of Atria Hamilton Heights