Sunrise of Woodland Hills

20461 Ventura Boulevard, Woodland Hills, CA 91364
Sunrise of Woodland Hills (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 220 days

Please ask about our special incentives!

Reviews of Sunrise of Woodland Hills

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise of Woodland Hills

April 14, 2016

By Chris123081350

We probably would have put my parents in Sunrise of Woodland Hills, but we didn’t like that it was on Ventura Boulevard. Other than that, it was really nice, and the staff was really nice and very accommodating. They had a really nice dining room and a small separate dining room that you could reserve for friends. The residents we met were really nice, and it looked like they had a lot of activities going on. When we were there, they were in a circle throwing a ball back and forth. They had a movie theater and played bingo. I’d give it four stars because it’s on Ventura Boulevard; the rest of it was just great.

December 30, 2015

By Dennis32

Sunrise of Woodland Hills is a very nice facility. All the people are very friendly. This is a nice, clean, and friendly place for my parents to live in. My mom will be moving into a two-bedroom unit with a little area by the kitchen because my father just passed away. It has a nice large restroom which has a walk-in type shower which is very convenient for her since she does not have to step over a tub to get into the shower. It is also ready for handicap use. The staff check on my parents every once in a while and they are excellent, very friendly and very attentive to the residents. They have several activities for their residents like bingo and other games. In their bistro, they get together there everyday. From time to time, there are entertainers coming in. They have outings and shopping once a week. They go to the movies or plays.

August 20, 2015

Sunrise of Woodland Hills was wonderful. It was very busy and active. There were cookies in a cookie jar on a counter near the dining room where you can go get whenever you want. There were activities all day long every day. They also had a wide variety of residents -- some looked like they needed a great deal of help, and others seemed to be very independent. It was very warm. It was very expensive.

April 20, 2015

I was able to visit Sunrise of Woodland Hills, and this was my second choice. I like the facility itself except that it didn’t have enough outdoor space for sitting outside. The space was very small. It was nice, but if you end up in the Alzheimer's unit, it was too depressing.

April 20, 2015

By Kam1

The staff at Sunrise of Woodland Hills was really friendly and really helpful. They gave me the best rate that they could. I was really happy with everything, but my dad wasn't ready for this. They showed me everywhere. They showed me a room that was smaller, but I asked for a bigger room, and they agreed to give me the same rate for the bigger room, so they were very helpful. The dining room was set up very nicely. At the time I was there, they were playing dominos. One time, they were playing music, and they were telling me about other activities.

September 08, 2014

By Mia347

My mother is in Sunrise and we choose it because of the quality of service. We also like the environment. Everything is good. We like the staff. They help her in bathing, but you have to pay for that. They also help her with the medication. She’s in a studio with a small kitchenette, a refrigerator and a sink. It is not spacious, but it is a good size. The food is fine. However, maybe they can improve on the variety of food on the menu. They have activities there. They have religious services and outings.

June 30, 2014

By Karen88328950

The people at Sunrise Woodland Hills were very friendly and very accommodating. They showed us around the entire facility. They have a much larger reminiscence or memory unit. But it's also a lot more expensive than other facilities. They didn't have a single bedroom that they could share with us at the time. The only thing that we were able to look at was a shared room, and we didn't want that for my mom. We wanted her to have her own room. So that was another reason why we went with another facility. But they were very nice, and they answered all of our questions. They have animals on-site that live there and are there for the residents, which is really nice.

June 28, 2014

By KindMan 0000021

Sunrise of Woodland Hills is really nice. It is very clean and very well kept. I have only been there once, and so far everybody seems to be nice. The dining room was very nice and clean; I was really surprised. I think one reason why my parents chose it for my uncle was because it was extremely clean. The other reason is cost. It really is not expensive for what you get.

May 10, 2014

By Janet83859150

We applied for my father at Sunrise. It had lots of activities. It was very sunny and cheery. I liked the kitchen concept, the service, and the fact that the menu changed every day. It was a larger facility. They had a much nicer outside space where they had porches in the front, and they had an outside patio at the back. The staff was very helpful. The second time I visited them, I was with my father, and he needed to go to the bathroom. The attendant helped him go to the bathroom. So, they were very good and responsive. They were upbeat about their ability to take care of them.

August 27, 2013

By Daniel6

We looked at Sunrise. It was a pretty nice facility. Their staff seemed very pleasant. There was a pretty good variety of activities for the seniors. Their apartments were of nice size. There was nothing negative about this facility; however, it was far from where my friend had lived. It was far from her bank, her doctors, etc. Nevertheless, it was a pretty nice facility, I would even move in there.

August 30, 2012

By ballestk

The staff at Sunrise was very friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be working at that facility. They immediately take all new residents in under their wing and are very attentive. The building itself is clean, bright, and well-decorated. The food in the dining room was also very well-prepared. It is obvious that they put effort into choosing healthy and satisfying meals for the residents.

January 03, 2012

There is a cold feeling when you walk through these doors. The staff was not friendly and the residents looked over medicated. There just did not seem to be very much life here. I spoke to a resident and she said she was just waiting to die. That is not acceptable, she said she does not have visitors and the staff was too busy to sit and chat with her or give her the time of day. I did witness several times while I was here residents trying to get a staff’s attention to no avail. I felt very sad when I left here. The facility was clean and menus looked healthy but when the residents feel unwanted and waiting to die that is unacceptable and I would not want my loved one here.

September 21, 2011

By Theguardian

My grandmother moved into this facility in 2010 after my grandfather passed away. She was fairly independent (she could feed and bathe and dress herself). She used a walker to get around but was just fine mentally and physically. At first, the Sunrise staff was generally pleasant. However, just four months after she arrived, my grandmother suffered a stroke. At her previous assisted living facility, the staff would check up on the residents at night to make sure they were OK. This never happened with my grandmother the night she had the stroke (she was found the next morning sitting in a chair, apparently having been there since 9 p.m. the previous evening). She might have been spared this horrible fate had one of the staff just peered inside the room at some point during the night. (Time matters in a stroke situation.) After a week in the hospital and a month in rehab (my grandmother lost use of her left side), she returned to Sunrise at the strong encouragement of the facility's management. Bad idea. Though the management insisted they could care for her, I soon discovered they were completely unprepared to care for a resident who needed a lot more personal assistance. Of course, the already exorbitant monthly rate skyrocketed. (One month I paid upwards of $9,000!) Most of the staff didn't know how to move her from a bed to a wheelchair, and I personally witnessed some very scary moments in their feeble attempts to do so. They left her alone for hours at a time so she was lonely and bored most of the the time. More disturbingly, due to understaffing, they would sometimes leave her tray of food next to her bed and no one would feed her. I once arrived at 3 p.m. only to find her lunch still sitting next to her untouched. She was hungry but couldn't reach the food. Personal items would disappear. Somehow, they went through a pack of diapers (12-18) in a single day. What were they doing with them? The transportation vehicle was a clunker that was constantly breaking down and the (very nice) driver was injured yet continued to work. There were also the usual assortment of bad eggs, including one "Nurse Ratchet" type who actually told my grandmother "I hate you." As I visited my grandmother most every day, I was witness to all kinds of questionable behavior involving other residents as well. Before my grandmother's stroke, she was accosted by a male resident who should have been confined to the memory care section but was allowed to roam the halls of the other floors freely. My grandmother had a big bruise on her arm from where this man tried to pull her to him and kiss her. My grandmother resisted and that was the result. Though I was assured that this man would be watched more closely, he was still roaming the halls of the non-memory care residents when I finally pulled my grandmother out of there and placed her in a more caring board and care a few months later. I recall another instance where one aide told me she was exhausted because she had to go chasing an elderly resident (memory care) down to the Target (about 1/2 mile away) after someone discovered he was missing. Also, even though my grandmother was unable to walk after her stroke, the Sunrise staff refused to relocate her from the fourth floor to the first floor. Imagine what would have happened in a fire! Also, because this facility is so bottom-lined oriented, not resident-focused as it should be, the Sunrise management kept adding memory care (dementia patients) beyond capacity. When I finally gave notice that I would be moving my grandmother to another facility, you could have froze to death from the icy way these "caregivers" treated my grandmother for the next couple of weeks before I was able to move her out. Consider yourself warned!

Questions about Sunrise of Woodland Hills

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

A lot of training overall that is year round!

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Sunrise of Woodland Hills. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

80-85, they love Bingo, outings, walks.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Woodland Hills offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Outings, movies every night.

What places are near Sunrise of Woodland Hills or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Target, Ralphs, Starbucks

What transportation services does Sunrise of Woodland Hills offer to assisted living residents?

Our bus goes to activities when applicable and we have a town car that goes to appointments on Monday and Tuesday.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sunrise of Woodland Hills exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Choices and meals by request if far enough in advance. Ethnic dishes.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Woodland Hills offer to assisted living residents?

Someone is in the community 24 hrs a day. Care managers record all activity in an IPad when with the residents.

How does Sunrise of Woodland Hills keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

On our Sunrise Care Connect portal.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Sunrise of Woodland Hills during daytime and nighttime hours?

There is no certain ratio.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Woodland Hills provide to protect residents who wander?

You cannot leave without codes or the concierge unlocking the front door.

Photos of Sunrise of Woodland Hills