The Gardens at Park Balboa

Reviews of The Gardens at Park Balboa

Assisted Living Reviews for The Gardens at Park Balboa

January 29, 2016

By Linda119443850

I didn’t see many residents at The Park, and I’m looking for my aunt who is a very social person. The building itself seemed much older and not as fancy. I loved the grounds, it was beautiful, and it has a nice garden area. It’s more of an apartment style. The few residents that I saw didn’t seem as alert, talking, and aware. The rooms she showed were not as nice and fancy, and this was the same for the dining area.

September 18, 2015

By Martha Jane

I cannot thank Klara and the staff at Gardens at Park Balboa for the love and attention they showed in giving me information about moving my mom in in the near future. Lots of places to choose from but with the apartment type living it gives a great feeling of independence. I would highly suggest!

May 29, 2015

I went to visit The Gardens at Park Balboa, and it was not good. I thought it was actually very depressing and that the layout was dangerous. There were so many level changes like something would be carpet and then it would floor and then there would be stairs; you kept having to change the way you walk. I didn’t meet any staff on my tour, but it was a very depressing and dark facility. The rooms were very small and dingy.

May 22, 2015

By Allan7

The Gardens at Park Balboa had a combination of both independent and assisted living. The staff was really good. It was clean and nice. They had a garden and some statues. The food was pretty good, and the dining room was nice. They were a larger facility.

February 28, 2014

By eleisaa

Dear:Resident service Director I just wanted to thank you again for your true kindness and professionalism combined is rare and beyond exemplary. You and your team working together with such care and precision all while gently explaining everything was something I shall never forget . You and the Gardens of Park Balboa were so very kind even offering us sandwiches and breakfast after the long night. Something I know you are used to . You have my profound gratitude as I know establishments are nothing without the leadership within. God bless you,Brittney,rosie and Miss Blanca. Respectfully and with profound thanks. Elyssa

November 29, 2013

By John.T

My mother recently passed away after a slow decline in health. She had lived at The Gardens for the past six years in relative comfort and with excellent care by the staff. We first saw that my parents needed to be in assisted living and had a long battle to convince my father to make the move. After his passing, it was a necessity. They had friends who'd lived there in the past, so were familiar with the facility. We met there, Abby Oppenheim, who graciously assisted with visiting, then processing my mother's settling into a small studio. There was room for her mementos and she could live comfortably within easy distance of the dining room. We met a number of the residents and as one can expect, found a variety of states of health and aging, but by and large, pleasant and happy people. The staff was most helpful at all times and I can only say that they were outstanding in their attention and assistance to Mom's needs. My lady-friend, a clinical dietitian with years of experience in similar facilities was immediately and favorably impressed as to the quality of the place. Late in my mother's stay, she needed to go to the secure, dementia unit, which is a part of the facility and readily accessible to visitors. This was easily done and still, most convenient. It's hard to think of anything not worthy of recommendation at The Gardens, from the administration, nursing, front office and dining room staff. I can name names throughout the staff, but rather than chance missing any, I will say that some were even more special to Mom and myself and they should know who they are! Their assistance and care made this whole experience a positive one.

August 20, 2013

By caring432

There are so many events that transpired over the last year my parents lived at this facility. Please be very careful if you are considering moving your loved ones with dementia here. There was a change of Directors and everything went bad. When we originally moved my parents in, the facility had a full time RN on staff. When the RN left shortly after we moved in, Marie, (a great facility director) hired a full time LVN to take her place. Over a year ago Marie was just gone, no notification from management, when I would ask where Marie was no one could tell us, not a letter, email, nothing. The facility was without a director for over 2 months before we were notified a new Director would be joining the Gardens. Several months after they hired Dana (with no previous experience as a director of a facility) the LVN was gone. No word from management, not a letter, email, nothing. When I spoke with the director she told us that she and one of the "med techs" were capable of covering the job of the RN/LVN and that they were not going to replace anyone in the position. Neither of them are medically qualified to take the place of an LVN or an RN. While most of the med techs are wonderful and caring, many other young caregivers do not have sufficient knowledge to care for seniors with dementia in the free community or in Safe Haven. My mother began having some behavioral issues that I, her doctor and Dana were trying to sort out. Dana suddenly began forcing our hand to move my mother to Safe Haven. She cut off my ability to speak with the med techs and said I had to go through her. She never consistently followed through on communicating important information so we could evaluate how my mother’s meds were working or not. After the multitude of emotional events Dana put our family through due to her lack of support and knowledge of helping a family traverse the terrain of a loved one with Alzheimer’s, along with her inability to take responsibility, and because they no longer had an RN or LVN, we decided it was in our parents best interest to move them to another facility. We simply had lost confidence and trust in them and they wore us down. We served formal notice via email to Dana and the owner of the facility on May 1st, 2013. About a week later Dana presented my father, a 97 year old sweetheart of a man with a notice to move to Safe Haven or be Evicted. This notice went on to list out various events with my mother as the reason for the need to move. My dad, a loving, honest, and hardworking man all of his life was beside himself with fear, confusion and grief. There was no reason under the sun that anyone with any compassion would do this to a senior who didn’t have the ability to comprehend what was going on. I had already given them our 30 day notice! This broke all of our hearts to see our father in such a state of depression. The owner of this facility backed Dana all the way at every turn. When we moved my mother and father out, I realized that they had lost her wheelchair. I decided to let it go and move on. I was exhausted. My mother died two weeks ago. I was shocked to receive a bill from The Gardens for $340.00 last week for services they say they didn’t charge us for.

January 24, 2013

By litt

I been visitibg this facility since 2006. My grangmother lives there i love this place the staff are really caring and always ready to help. My grandmother enjoys to live there is like a big familu the feeling you get as soon as u enter is of a warm house. love it gardens keep the good job.

August 27, 2012

By drivelswivel

The front desk employees seem to be on top of things. Except one girl who seemed to have no idea about the comings and goings of residents. I felt that the places is somewhat insecure because I am never asked to sign in or out when I pick up a resident and drive them off the property. I am never asked to sign a resident in or out. One time, I was physically assaulted by a man with Alzheimer's and the front desk worker apologized, saying it happens all the time. I've been to one room, it seems like a huge dormitory. The staff seems nice enough, although I do get a sense that the staff treats residents as "non-people", or treats them as lesser than themselves.

Independent Living Reviews for The Gardens at Park Balboa

Costs for The Gardens at Park Balboa

Photos of The Gardens at Park Balboa

Services and Amenities of The Gardens at Park Balboa

• Companion Suites: We Do Offer Companion Suites

• Features Extra: Library

• State Licenses: 197602434

About The Gardens at Park Balboa

Whether you are joining our community for long-term Independent Living, Assisted Living, or Memory Care, we strive to provide a supportive homelike experience at every level. You are encouraged to pursue your own happiness, while a caring and reliable team of friendly and approachable professionals provides the attention and encouragement you need to live as you wish.

At The Gardens at Park Balboa, your choices are always honored and respected. We welcome and encourage living life on your own terms, be it choosing alternative health therapies like meditation, yoga, acupuncture, or simply spending time on your own or with a partner. You are free to decorate your private studio or one bedroom apartment as you like. You’ll also enjoy restaurant-style dining with gourmet options so you can order what you like at each meal. We can even tailor your meals to suit dietary needs and restrictions. This is your home, you can be yourself here.

Senior care professionals at The Gardens are attentive, engaged, and alert to your needs and wishes. We get to know you as an individual so that we may honor your identity while observing your health and wellness closely. If something is off, we see it. And we know how to help. Whether it’s a new hitch in your step or a change in your smile, our knowledgeable and dedicated team is there to meet your changing needs.

We also recognize that personal choice and respect for the greater community need to be balanced in order for all residents to live comfortably. This is why residents with pets or those utilizing tobacco or medical marijuana practice neighborly courtesy by honoring designated areas and keeping the community clean of debris. In this way, each resident enjoys the freedoms of home while respecting the other residents in our community.

Our Executive Director, Director of Health Services, and residential caregivers share a common goal: to encourage the well-being and growth of our residents as individuals. Our staff truly listens and responds thoughtfully to residents and their families, in order to provide a dynamic environment that meets your evolving needs. This is what makes The Gardens at Park Balboa different.

In our Independent Living and Assisted Living apartments, we determine the cost of care on an individual basis, and charge per minute so that our residents are never charged for services that they will not use.

Map of The Gardens at Park Balboa