The Carlisle San Francisco, CA

Reviews of The Carlisle

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for The Carlisle

February 01, 2018

By Brian

I liked The Carlisle because you have the option to buy the unit. My mom liked the size of it because it was big but not too big. She also liked the dining room and amenities. They have a beautiful dining room and beautiful common areas.

January 16, 2016

By Caring Resident1

I loved everything about The Carlisle. The food was great. The people were wonderful, and the staff was lovely. I loved the condos; you have to buy one there. They were small, but very nice.

November 30, 2015

The Carlisle would be my second choice. It was a nice, clean, lovely, beautiful place. The staff seemed very pleasant and helpful. Their dining room was very nice. I liked The Carlisle a lot.

October 28, 2015

The Carlisle was very nice and had excellent food but is much too expensive. They answered whatever questions I gave them. The only thing that I really remember about the Carlisle, besides the people being very friendly and the place looking very nice, is the food.

October 27, 2015

We went to The Carlisle and got on their waiting list. They were very nice and very accommodating. When we got there, they were very welcoming, and it was beautiful. It seemed like they had a lot of activities, and it seemed to be staffed 24 hours with a nurse on call. They have parking, and if you were downsizing and wanted a relative or somebody to come and visit, they have facilities there for them to reserve a bed. I think they try to make it much like whatever place you've left, so it is possible that you would be happy there.

January 12, 2015

We weren't impressed with The Carlisle because the lady didn't even take us around to look at any available apartments. The lady who took us around was interested in selling the property. I wasn't too impressed; I was a little put off by the person who talked to us because she didn't seem interested. The activities were alright, but they were all the same as the other facility. We actually ate there, and it was nothing to write home about. Food wasn't great. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this facility to others. I didn't see the whole facility. I only saw the dining room and the sitting area.

Thank you for your review. Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience with Sunrise. Please email us at Information@SunriseSeniorLiving.com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

November 11, 2014

By Nancy76927550

The Carlisle was very, very impressive, and the only thing that stirred us away is we don’t think that we’re ready for that at this point in time. It’s a very, very nice facility. It didn’t have as quite as many rooms so I think it would have felt more involved in the community. We tried the food there, and it was excellent. The staff was wonderful. I can’t say anything negative at all.

March 27, 2014

By Jessica17

The Carlisle was completely different from the other places. It was very upscale. The staff was of the highest quality, better than in any place I had seen, and they were the best that I have encountered so far. They had a wonderful dining area that had a dress requirement. The men had to wear a suit jacket or a sports coat like the older days. The woman had to wear a nice pantsuit or a nice dress. They had waitresses that came and requested your order and brought it to your table. Two meals were included, and you had to pay extra for the third meal. You could have your family there at dinner, and you could have a private dining room. The rooms were totally different. First of all, you had to buy in, and then you had a monthly fee. The monthly fee was based on the size of unit you bought, which could be a studio, one, or two bedrooms with nice big balconies and nice big refrigerators. They had a string to pull in the room, in case you had a problem. Since you bought the unit, you could change it around, like putting in a different bathtub or toilet. They had really nice, carpeted, well-lit, and wide hallways; two wheelchairs could easily pass each other. They had nice big elevator where you could fit a lot of people and even 10 wheel chairs. The elevator also had seats, so you don't have to stand. They had musicians that came in every afternoon, and they also had tea. So you could have tea and live music. They also had a small movie theater for watching movies, and they served popcorns. It had a wonderful underground parking are, which was nice and very safe. I liked that it was right in downtown San Francisco, and they would take you anywhere you want to go within five miles for free. They had malls, music, symphonies, and museums all right there, and you could walk to most of them.

February 28, 2014

By Caring79311950

The Carlisle looks like a hotel. They have different apartments. Everybody was wonderful. I had dinner there and the food is okay.

August 31, 2011

By peaches86aw

Other

The Carlisle is an extremely upscale condominium for seniors and is great for elders who still want all the fabulous amenities. It is located in Lower Pac Heights in a quiet, but convenient location. At Post and Gough, it is just a few blocks away from Japantown, Fillmore St, Polk St, Whole Foods, and Safeway.

July 28, 2011

By ProfessionalGCM21years

The Carlisle is a continuing care retirement community -- actually a condominium tower -- centrally located on Post Street, on Cathedral Hill. I've had clients there over the years, though none at the moment. It's one of the newer CCRCs: very beautiful, with apartments ranging from large studios to large suites--all very nicely laid out and appointed. The staff, from what I've both seen and heard, is very good and attentive. But there has been a lot of turnover with both the direct care staff and the nursing staff, so that's a bit of a red flag. The Carlisle also has a 5-star chef, and the food is excellent. There's lots of variety, and the food is nutritious. There's also a full complement of activities. They're nice and varied, and there's very good participation on the part of the residents. One other caution: When it fist opened in the 90s, The Carlisle had a contract with St. Mary's to handle skilled nursing. Now skilled nursing is more nebulous; it's not clear how they're caring for someone who's more medically frail. If I were considering it now, I'd check out the transition to skilled nursing very carefully.
See all Continuing Care Retirement Community reviews (11) See fewer reviews

• Russian
  • Spanish
  • Tagalog

About The Carlisle

Located in the heart of San Francisco on Cathedral Hill, The Carlisle is a boutique continuing-care retirement community. The Carlisle provides the amenities to make your life luxurious, unencumbered and relaxed- complete with housekeeping, fine dining, maintenance, and linen and transportation services. Not only do the city surroundings offer limitless ways to enjoy life, The Carlisle has a wide array of activities to offer you. Morning yoga, afternoon tea, and evening social hours are all ways to enjoy the company of fellow residents.

At The Carlisle, all condominiums (ranging from 375-1780 square feet) feature kitchens or kitchenettes, walk-in closets, large windows, distinctive rooms and safety features. Many units have balconies, customized interiors, distinctive built-ins, bay windows and beautiful views.

Should the need ever arise, The Carlisle has assisted living staff on site to help you with activities of daily living within the privacy of your own condominium.

Because seeing is believing, we cordially invite you to visit The Carlisle. Our staff will be delighted to arrange a personal tour. We've just finished a multi-million dollar renovation to all of the common areas and many of the 93 condos.

Map of The Carlisle