The Palms

Reviews of The Palms

Independent Living Reviews for The Palms

October 20, 2020

By Jim

I have been living here at The Palms for five years now. I'm in my sixth year. The fact that I've been here for so long indicates that I must be happy. The staff seems to work together and the people are very friendly. Me as a priest have often stopped and allowed to walk with people who want to ask questions or whatever. There are activities going on. Of course, they are kinda restricted at the moment because we are taking precautions. We have a set amount of activities that we're able to enjoy. Once all the barriers are lifted, it is safe to go here and it is safe to go there, it would be 100%. It's a good place to be. I'm satisfied here. I'm going to stay here as long as I'm happy. I'm a Catholic priest but I'm retired and so it is just wonderful. I just love the food here. The food is very, very good. All the food now is delivered to the apartments and it is good food. The place is beautiful. It's lovely. There are lots and lots of caregivers.

October 14, 2020

By Louise

I'm a resident of The Palms. I love my room. Everything is kept very clean. I'm very proud the way they keep us from getting the virus. They did a good job and I'm sure they're going to continue. I feel safe about that. The manager and the girls that work here are very pleasant. One thing that impresses me, they call us by our first name. When you're 91 and you're Madam or Mrs. all the time, never by your first name, I like that little more personal touch and it always makes me feel good. It might be vanity or whatever, but I'm impressed with that. They all call you by your first name. I like that. I think it's just a pleasant thing. There are a couple of things that I'm not happy about and that is the laundry. It's so hard to have free time there; I wish caretakers had their own laundry room. That's about the only complaint I have. They keep the place spotless and that's important to me. I always have a clean house. The people are pretty nice here. Of course, they have a few that I think should be in a locked facility or a more watched facility, like dementia. When they call for help, I just reach out and help them and I might get in trouble for that and that worries me. Still I can't have somebody going up and down the hall calling for their mother when they're 80 years old themselves. That happened to me last night, but the caretakers are there pronto. I got their number and I called them and they're up there faster than I can hang the phone up. That's impressive the way they got to her after I called. They got to her really fast. There's just a lot of good things about this place. I looked at The Palms about every year for the past nine years and checked it out, but I would keep telling myself, 'you're not ready just yet.' My husband passed away 13 years ago and I've been alone ever since but I was managing. Then it got to where it was burdensome, caring for the house, the dryer was needing fixing. It was just the beginning time where I should leave. I had been checking this place out among other places. It was familiar to me and so I was anxious to move here then. It's been pretty satisfactory except when they raised my rent, I raised Cain and so we came to a better agreement. The staff are very nice. Cleanliness is very good. I like bingo, but I stick to my room. I don't go out and I don't socialize much. I'm a loner. I don't get in on any activities. I'm just too tired to get involved in much anymore. I read a lot and I'm quiet. I only watch TV for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune and then my Christian Stations on Sunday, but otherwise I don't even watch TV. Well, they're very friendly. I like it when they call us by our first name, which gives it a friendlier warmer attitude. They're family people themselves, so I want them to have a good grade because they deserve it.

October 14, 2020

By Virginia

I have been a resident of The Palms for four years now. It's been very good. The services are really nice. The housekeepers and the servers are great. They're doing a great job. I participate in exercise classes and show-and-tell activities. They've been closed down a little bit, that's why we don't have too many activities because of the Covid19. My room is very nice and very comfortable. It's got the living room, the bathroom and the bedroom. The staff is very good.

October 13, 2020

By Judy

We have been residents of The Palms for 3 and half years. The people here are very friendly. With the COVID situation, it has been hard but everybody is getting along quite well and staying well, which is good. When we first got here, we had a lot of activities going on. They're trying to resume back some of the activities as long as we still have to kinda be distanced in our space and everything, which I can understand. Since we have been here, they have gone out of their way to make sure that we had entertainment and things like that, which has been really great. Maybe you can have outside groups coming, they were maybe just visiting from another state and they've come and entertained us during a dinner and things like that. I was chosen to be one of the ambassadors, so I guess that's an opportunity to meet and greet the new people and kinda give them a little bit of a tour and just kind of help them handle the new changes. Sometimes people travel here from long distances like way back east, and at first, they're kinda lost, there's a lot involved. I enjoy what we do. The staff have been all so helpful. I still drive my car and I had to go to another city and someone got a map for me, which was great. I can find out, leaving from point A getting to point B. It really made me feel good. They just took a few minutes out of their time to do that, and I thought it was great. There are other things that they help with that they're not necessarily required to do. One thing I've noticed is that when people move in, other people will gravitate towards them, which is great. They provide them with a welcoming atmosphere that makes people feel really good. We can all tell when somebody is new, so we do our best to make them feel welcome.

October 13, 2020

By Seward

I think The Palms is the best there is. I've been a resident since April, so the pandemic has been enforced the entire time I've been here. It's the best it can be. They have an excellent food service where they bring everything to us in our room, and they have a menu with three choices for lunch and dinner and very good breakfast. In fact, I went down and wanted to congratulate the fry cook because we got beautifully fried shrimps for lunch, five of them, as well as vegetables to go with it. We had a great dessert. I do not know very many people because we have to stay away from each other, but that's something that can't be helped. They are extremely cautious about keeping us healthy aside from checking everyone if they leave the premises just to go outside and be in the sunshine for a while. When you come back in, they check our temperature. If we go some place, other than that, and are around outside people, then we have to, not only have our temperature taken, but fill out a short questionnaire. If somebody does come down with it, and so far that I've been here since April, there have been a couple of the workers who came down with signs of it. Just one person has contracted it. That was it. They go down the halls, clean all the doorknobs and the chairs outside where our food is left for us and keep the carpets clean. They have three different caregiving organizations, and you can pick one if you want them to help you with your showers, cut your cuticles and all that stuff. My room is beautiful. I have a very large living room. It's about 15 x 15. I have brought my furniture for it. The only thing I had to purchase was one of those chairs that helps bring you up so that you can get up easily, then you can make it go down and lie down for a while. Other than that, I have a beautiful antique desk that my mother and I bought for my father. I have a bookcase that I have many of my keepsakes on. I have a single bed with a headboard attached to it. I couldn't be happier because my whole family came and helped move me in, hang the photos and placed everything. It's my home now. The staff is kind. They always say please and thank you. They're courteous. If there's something they can help you with that's small that you need done, they're happy to do it. I don't do activities. The only thing I do is play bingo about once a week. Most of the things now, you have to sign up for them and then it's the first five that get to do it because there's no more room than that to have you spaced six feet apart. The value for money is very good because the one that I looked at that frightened me was more expensive than this one, and it was horrible.

December 25, 2019

By A.F.

I moved into the Palms. So far it's OK, but the handy guy is afraid of doing anything, as he might be liable, so I had to purchase my safety rail for the bathroom. I also had to purchase the transition between the backdoor and the entry to the backdoor. I'm in independent living with add-ons, I have my meals, my laundry, my house is kept clean, and I have a security necklace. As my needs progress, I can add on the caregiving. The staff is super, they've been here for years, and they go out of their way to help you. I love my apartment, I was able to get comfortable in it, the chef is out of this world, the food is pretty, and I try to make it down there as often as possible.

July 24, 2019

By Sam

The Palms at La Mirada was very nice and very appealing. If I had to stay here in California, that place would be great. The only problem I ran into is that other states are subsidized by Medicaid, so the prices are considerably cheaper. So from a financial standpoint, this place is about $4,000 to $6,000 a month. The staff member who accommodated me there was fine. I was checking on a 1-bedroom in the independent living level. They had a pretty full schedule of things to do, and they help the people that can't get around.

December 27, 2018

By DS

I had a good tour at The Palms. I liked the way it's set up and where it's located. I liked what I saw inside and the people who I talked to. They did a good job of answering all the questions I had, and bringing up things I didn't know to ask. They were concise, pleasant and made me feel like it was a good place to be. They seemed involved with the people, I saw good interaction when I was there. The apartments looked OK, I looked at a few of them and they seemed to be adequate. They also explained some of the activities, I saw the dining area, and I was there when breakfast was being served. I like the people there, and this community was the one I was more impressed with.

March 19, 2018

By R.J.

The Palms was old but well taken care of. They had a two-bedroom, but I didn't like the layout of the room; to get to the bathroom from the bedroom, you had to walk through the living room and kitchen. The other bedroom had a bath attached to it. The staff was good.

Hi R.J., thank you for taking the time to let us know how your tour of The Palms went. This floorplan does have an ensuite bathroom for the master bedroom while the other bathroom is not attached to the second bedroom making the second bathroom accessible for any guests that you might have. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Have a great day!

September 29, 2017

By Betty

We enjoyed our visit at The Palms, and we're very impressed with the person who assisted us. We loved their food and facilities. It was a beautiful place, and the people were friendly. We just couldn't afford it. They also had quite a bit of activities. We were very satisfied with the staff. Everything was immaculate.

April 25, 2017

By JK317708

The neighborhood at The Palms was good. I liked the one-bedroom, but it was more expensive than a studio. The dining area was nice. The food was OK. The community was clean. The people were friendly.

April 12, 2017

By Marianna223226

The Palms was very good. I liked the rooms. I didn’t check the food out, but everything else was good. The community was clean and orderly. It had a very nice library, a bridge group, and I saw them playing some kind of horse racing game. The dining room looked very nice.

March 30, 2017

By Diane431407

I did not know that the Palms existed until I was at a church meeting, and I know someone else who is living there now. I liked it very much, but it is not close to my children. I liked the fact that they have exercise classes and games, and they take them out on trips to go places. They were having one lady’s birthday when I was there, and they invited me to have lunch in the birthday room, so I did. The residents were delightful and were so nice; I felt very welcome. They showed me a larger unit that would be more suitable for me because I have a lot of stuff.

February 11, 2017

By Felicia627756

Everyone was friendly at The Palms. The customer service was excellent. My mom only stayed there for two months, and I did not have any problems. They had breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. She had a single, clean room with a view of the back driveway. It was freshly painted and had a clean carpet and walk-in shower. Everything was nice. When I went there to check on my mom, they filled me in on what activities were going on. There was always someone there to fill me in and help her.

February 07, 2017

By Gwen132106

The Palms was a beautiful, well-maintained, very nice building. Their Christmas trees were up. We got to see a two-bedroom and a one-bedroom. The food was good. The dining area was very nice, and the people greeted you. The person who took us around was extremely nice.

January 14, 2017

By Patricia600084

The Palms looks nice and clean. The staff appears to be helpful, so far. The food was very good during the first month, but it declined because they lost the main cook. Everything seems OK. They have outings, entertainers coming in, and a pool table.

November 28, 2016

By AH684658

The Palms was excellent. The accommodation looks very good to me, and I have recommended it to three different people. They have lots of activities, and what they put in the information they give is accurate. I saw a demonstration studio room, and everybody has their own private entrance and his or her own latch key.

November 24, 2016

By Frank770756

Mom moved in at The Palms approximately a month or two ago. The food there was between gourmet and good restaurant food. It’s expensive, but I think it’s a 5 star place. The people are kind to the elders. There are many things to do for senior citizens. They do have church. They have games Thursday night. Sometimes, Elvis Presley comes down. There was a good feel. I felt comfortable having my mother there.

November 14, 2016

By Stephanie552458

The Palms was very good, the people were very friendly, and the pricing seemed fair for what all you got there. My friend was with me that time, and she said it looked like a cruise ship. It was very well-kept inside and out, it was very clean and friendly, and there were a lot of people out playing cards and visiting in the halls. It was very open and inviting. The grounds were very nice around the facility. There's no traffic in front of it and there's an area where the residents can be picked up by a bus or a car. The rooms are definitely 1-bedroom apartments and very nice.

September 30, 2016

By Linda M.703267

The Palms was a nice place, but Mom did not like the room. The staff was excellent, very nice, and very warm. The place was too crowded for Mom with around 200 residents. The place was great, the chef was great, the rooms were fine, the convenience to the property was fine, and it was like a hotel.

September 02, 2016

By DB583671

My mom ended up going to The Palms. So far, they have been able to take care of her with her ostomy. Even though the facility is for independent living, they have people to come over to take care of her. The people who run the place seem to be very caring, and they try very hard. It's not hugely less expensive to stay there, but it's a better place to be if somebody needs a little bit more care. This is ironic, since it's basically an independent living facility. The food is okay and decent.

February 22, 2016

By Beverly124471650

The Palms was well cared for. The floor plans were open, and the staff seemed to be quite friendly.

December 28, 2015

By X12

The Palms was a very nice place; however, my husband and I are not into eating the meals they have there every day. We weren’t particularly fond of the fact that they don’t have a stove in the place. The staff took us on a nice tour, but they couldn’t accommodate us as far as having a cooking area in the unit. The apartments were small. The common dining area looked very nice, but sometimes you want to eat with your spouse and fix your own food.

December 20, 2015

By Veta

The Palms was fantastic. They had very pleasant and active residents; it was hard to identify who was there to assist and who were the residents. It's so nicely appointed. The hallways were wide, and you feel as if you're in a resort hotel. Beyond the main entrance was a huge dining area. The apartments were nice and large. The prices were moderate to pricey depending on your budget. They had a lot of activities. It was a very active community with people on walkers, wheelchairs and canes moving around. They have really great staff. They divided their facility into two sections with a husband and wife team for each section that live there so they get to know the residents. Its design is really interesting and open; if you go on different levels, you can look down and see the area below you. You can actually see the whole office area. If someone needed help, you're not walled up. The apartments at the back had a living room, a bedroom, and bath area that looked out into the courtyard.

November 29, 2015

By Sandy115718450

The Palms was very nice. We had lunch, and it was good food. I really like the staff. The maintenance man lives there, so any time you have a maintenance problem, even if it’s in the middle of the night, you can call and he will come and take care of it. The apartment was fine. They have a lot of nice and varied activities. I saw the calendar for the month, and it looked like there were quite a few interesting activities.

August 31, 2015

They have a lot to offer actually; they have quite a few groups like little craft groups or Bible study or little groups like that, which is really great. They are very attentive, and in the assisted living part where the companies that are hired in there are not part of the Holiday but sub-contracted, they are really good too. I think probably what they offer for food would be the biggest thing that they need to improve on because they only offer two choices a day where most places nowadays offer the two-chef specials everyday, plus they have other items that people can order everyday, which the Palms does not have yet. My mom is doing fine because this is where she has been since 2012. It is where she is used to because we have lived in La Mirada all our life, so it is more of her comfort level of what she is used to and the environment she is used to compared to any services. She has lived in La Mirada for almost 50 years, and so it is hard to get her to move out of it. She is more of an introvert, so she doesn't socialize much. They do have activities. They have movie nights and a book club; they have a lot of clubs, but like I said, she just chooses not to participate.

April 10, 2014

By Tina21

I toured The Palms with my sister, and I liked everything. The location was nice too. The rooms were nice, and I liked them. I was looking for a place with a full kitchen, but they said since they had the dining room to eat in, they only had a microwave and refrigerator. They even gave us lunch, and the food was good. They had an exercise room with a lot of equipment. They had a nice library. They play bingo. They took the people on shopping trips and also to do their hairs and nails. They took them to their doctor's appointments. The only thing was that its $3,200 or so, and it was a lot of money.

July 12, 2013

By Nancy71663450

I visited this facility for my sister because I have a relative that used to work for Holiday Retirement and so I knew what kind of services they offer. Also The Palms is closer to where my sister had dialysis. The facility was clean and nice. It was a little more posh and the rooms that I got a chance to see was smaller than the one we previously visited. The staff was very friendly and professional. They have a dining room that you could reserve and have that for family time. I like that very much. I didn't get to see some of their activities but they gave us a calendar of events. I would recommend this place to others.

April 17, 2012

By Tetyner

The Palms is a very nice-looking community, both inside and out. The front of the facility is a large, lush expanse of greenery and palm trees, while the inside is a charming, two-story housing development, complete with a cafeteria, entertainment room, and of course, private rooms. The second floor holds staff housing, a terrace, and brunch area. The furniture is all oak and in mahogany and deep brown tones, and there was even a grand piano in one corner. However, there is a reason I give this facility only three stars. The Palms is a very nice facility, but only to look at. While touring the facility, I scarcely remember seeing any staff or even residents. The only staff person I remember was the one who guided us on our tour and gave us our financial options, but it says something for the The visiting hours were very strict as well. Aside from all that, the main reason I only gave this facility three stars is because my grandma moved out shortly after moving in for several reasons. She never gave specifics on this one, but she claimed she did not like the way the staff treated her. I recall her saying they were too "professional" and not caring or involved enough, like they sort of distanced themselves from the residents. This seemed evident just from the impression I got touring the facility. Another reason, she noted, is that it was really hard for her to make it up to the few facilities on the second story -- the staircase was rather huge. She also said she didn't like the food, and that the lack of privacy bothered her - she didn't feel like she was living independently as she wanted to, due to the strict meal schedule and activities schedules.Overall, I gave the facility three stars instead of one despite this, simiply because I did know my grandmother, and she was very picky about the places she lived. Her complaints were minimal and not such a huge deal to begin with. Like I said in the first paragraph, I was also very impressed by the decorating and the homey feel to the facility.

Questions about The Palms

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at The Palms. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What transportation services does The Palms offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at The Palms exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does The Palms offer to independent living residents?

Our residents can feel safe 24/7 knowing that they can access help with just a push of a button. Each resident receives their own Lively Mobile Plus emergency device that goes anywhere they do. The device, which is included in monthly rent, can be activated for a variety of reasons, including emergencies, directions, health concerns, or to just speak to a friendly voice. The community is also only accessible to residents from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. so you can rest easy knowing that there will

If The Palms accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Does The Palms work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for The Palms

Photos of The Palms

Services and Amenities of The Palms

• Housing Extra: Handicap Barrier Free Units Available, Individual Climate Control, Safety Rails In Bathroom, Telephone Hookup

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room, Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Pool
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator

• Technology Extra: Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About The Palms

The Palms is located in La Mirada, CA, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to The Palms for a visit...and stay!

Map of The Palms