Silverado Berkeley

Reviews of Silverado Berkeley

Memory Care Reviews for Silverado Berkeley

March 20, 2018

By Brook Svoboda

Quality of Life and Dignity The Short: Silverado offers truly amazing care, service, and engagement with their residents - they are always treated with respect and dignity. Staff are also communicative, understanding and proactive when it comes to engaging you the family member(s). The level of care is worth every penny spent. The Long: My Mother was diagnosed with Dementia last year which progressed quickly to a moderate level. She had lived independently up to this point. She is a retired corporate exe who is extremely stubborn, self reliant, and fiercely independent. Leading up to the move to Silverado, family and friends made several attempts to transition her into a memory care/assisted living community with no success. Before the move, her paranoia and fear had become 90% of her daily focus, she was not able to care for herself. Quick action was required and Silverado responded in kind with diligence and sensitivity. Being an only child, living out of state and not prepared for the gauntlet I faced was more than overwhelming, it was terrifying. The executive staff showed compassion while delivering strategic support every step of way in navigating the malaise of bureaucratic red tape with health care providers and legal documents – I could not have done any of this without their support and intelligence in dealing with the who, what, when, how of getting everything necessary to move her. There is no play book for moving a fiercely independent woman. With all of that add two cats – without them she never moves. Silverado not only agreed, but embraced the cats – they are her children and her safety net – Silverado gets that. My mother has been there now for just over four months. Her paranoia level is 10%-15% of her mindset, her fear is gone, she feels safe, she sleeps through the night (before she rarely did) and regularly states how happy she is. She is a highly social person who had become isolated, depressed and fearful to leave her house or cats. Now she actively engages and has a multitude of friends – residents and staff members. So here are few insights that are worth sharing – please note that the week after she moved and the ensuing trips I have taken, I have spent 6-10 hours at a time with her in the community so I have had an opportunity to observe and engage on several levels. Engagement: This is perhaps one of the most notable aspects about Silverado – their programing provides for constant, daily engagement on various levels – exercise, socialization, mental stimulation and one on one interaction. My mother who was never one for much of organized activities loves participating – they have social events to get folks to chat and engage with each other. I have watched several of these events and find it remarkable how they get a bunch of folks to sit down and interact - truly special. Staff: The resident to staff ratio is high and varied – caregivers, nurses, management and support staff all regularly engage the residents. There is a sense of cohesive support and mindset (everyone is on the same page). If there is an issue staff actively work to address it, I have not witnessed “not my problem or someone will be there to help” situations. Keeping in mind that there three levels of care and different needs depending on where residents are at. Execution seems seamless. The staff know everyone’s names and appear to understand the needed level of care of each individual. Philosophy: It is worth noting that they just don’t provide lip service to their philosophy they execute. Their onboarding process was extremely thoughtful and strategic for getting her adjusted – they know what they are doing and how do it based on the individual. At no time was there a call from my mother I want to go home or I’m not staying here – visiting the first full week and half also helped. The background info about likes dislikes and idiosyncrasies is shared with the staff to ensure success. The Staff don’t act like they are treating memory care patients, rather regular everyday human beings. The level of dignity giving to residents is truly noteworthy, especially when you realize the range of care needs they serve. I visited many other assisted living and nursing care facilities in my life and have never seen the consistent level of care displayed here. Environment: This is not your average memory care community (assisted living /retirement/etc). There are no smells one associates with assisted living communities. The place is immaculate, the food good – different menu every day for each meal, there are standard everyday options, and open seating. The rooms are well appointed and the overall facility has undergone a complete remodel. Heating and cooling works, dining and common areas are well maintained. Final Thought: My mother feels safe, happy and enjoys being there. As I’m sure most people expect Staff to come and tell you how great your family member is, as part of the MO for any organization in this field. What is truly amazing to me was staff at every level engaged me about my mother and how well she was doing and what a great person she was – most commentary was unsolicited and unexpected, even from staff how do not directly over see her. But here is what really brought home what a great place this is – the residents themselves! Over the course of my visits not less than 20 different residents have approached me about how happy they are she is there and how much they enjoy her company and/or how well she has adapted. This happens over and over – you don’t see unhappy or unattended people here, everyone genuinely appears to be happy that they are at Silverado.

December 26, 2015

By Marcella3

I really liked The Berkshire, but it was way out of our price range. It was very classy. You walked in, you would hear music playing. The desk person was very low-key, very professional. They main area, the living area, was very nice. My partner and I went back and met with the salesperson, and she was very friendly, very informative. She showed me some of the rooms, and I told her what I had to spend and that I did not think The Berkshire would fit into our budget, but she gave me some options on financial assistance. They toured us around all the different rooms. Some of the rooms were kind of small, and some of the rooms were pretty decent-sized. I also liked the setup that they had there. They way that they put up their refrigerators, they were at a level that was sitting on a wheelchair. It was on their level instead of the grounds. It would be my No. 1 favorite. We just could not afford that.

June 30, 2015

I would like to live in The Berkshire. What I liked about this is that there is no buy in. I like the residents that I talked to. I love all of the activities. They have a wonderful newsletter that talked about how. They are dedicated to physical, emotional, and health things. They have lots of exercise programs. They do trips out and about.

June 25, 2015

Berkshire has memory care facility, but I didn't like it. It smelled, and it looked horrible and depressing. They need to improve on those things.

February 27, 2015

The Berkshire is cozy and seems pretty well run. It's not the most expensive, but it is not the cheapest either. The staff seemed friendly enough. Obviously you can never really tell about these things, but I was favorably impressed.

October 06, 2014

By Yvonne18

The Berkshire looks like an older apartment complex that has been converted into a senior citizen’s residence. It doesn’t have a lot of grounds as it is more concrete. It is important to me to have a lot of grounds. The staff was helpful. Outside the area tend to be more spread out than the one in the bay area.

March 31, 2014

We chose Berkshire because of the location; it's very near me. I like that they seem to really be on top of helping people with the transition. They have a director in charge of all the activities. The staff is very knowledgeable, very understanding, warm, and supportive. They know each person who's there, and I feel like my mom is in a safe place, which is important to me. I would say the food portions are good. I think, healthy on a scale of 1 to 5, it might be a 3. I think the staff could be paid more. It's very difficult work.

March 31, 2014

By Marsha15

I moved Mom into Berkeley Assisted Living. It's clean and pleasant and very airy. The room is very nice. The staff are very caring and friendly. Their food is tasty, and they offer different choices.

March 28, 2014

Vintage Senior Living was nice, and it was in my neighborhood, so I like that. The guy in charge at the time happened to mention that there were no walkers allowed in the dining room. And I thought that was downright illegal. I was pretty pissed off.

January 08, 2014

By Katjia

We visited this community recently for lunch with a friend who currently lives at The Berkshire. We felt we were at a carmel bed and breakfast, residents could eat inside or outside on their patios. We were so impressed we put our Mother on their waiting list!

December 26, 2013

The Berkshire was a very nice place, very clean, quiet and very pleasant. The rooms were nice. They do have an activity program. It was a very pleasant experience which was surprising. The surroundings seemed nice, the people seemed comfortable there. That was the impression I got.

November 21, 2013

By Liz18

The apartments at Vintage at Berkshire were too small and too claustrophobic but the place is friendly and well kept. The staff seemed nice and it feels more like a Holiday Inn or something.

October 17, 2013

By June9

My friend is staying at The Berkshire and they have very good food. It seems very nice there. They have very nice staff. They go out of their way to accommodate my friend who is very particular on things. They have a lot of educational lecturing for the residents. However, the rooms are small.

June 13, 2013

By Alexis1

My Uncle was a resident at The Berkshire - The Vintage Senior Living, his room was very clean and very nice and the staff were really accommodating.

September 26, 2012

By esmith1301

Ok facility. Like a lower end Hilton type property. There isn't much for the seniors within walking distance. Food service is about what I have seen at other facilities of this type average at best. Some units have patios which is a nice feature for gardening etc. I noticed a Van that was used to transport residents to shopping etc.

July 18, 2011

By P3rtJuz

This is an above average assisted living facility that gets 4 stars due to its prime location and infrastructure. While I was impressed with the facilities like shuttle bus, landscaping, rooms, prompt service, I was also a little sad to see the declining levels of cleanliness and hygiene. Although I can understand that maintaining hygiene to the expectations of everyone can be a little challenging, I think they can do better. The rooms are well spaced, many have balconies or small patios. Some rooms also have air conditioners. I liked their catering service and heard from a few inmates that the quality of food served was really good. I did not get an opportunity to taste anything here but the kitchen looked great. There were about 10% rooms vacant but most were filled with people living happily. Overall the Berkshire makes a pleasant assisted living for the elderly and those who need their own space yet some warmth.

May 18, 2011

By gfx1

Visited this facility

This is an amazing assisted living facility. The location is perfect on Sacramento street, near the downtown but away from the noise and clutter. Many good shops, restaurants and even the North Berkeley BART are close-by. The facility itself has spacious floor plans, excellent landscaping and all the facilities commonly found in luxurious assisted living service. The facility also has its own chefs and kitchen that provides great meals, 3 times a day. The people living here seemed happy with the management and in general with the facility. There is also a shuttle that helps in getting around. In general, this is a very good senior assisted living facility with reasonable rent.
See all Memory Care reviews (17) See fewer reviews

Costs for Silverado Berkeley

Photos of Silverado Berkeley

Services and Amenities of Silverado Berkeley

• About Silverado Berkeley

Located close in a quiet residential area just west of downtown, Silverado Berkeley is memory care that provides for residents' minds, bodies and spirits.

While amenities such as nutritious food, engagements, social events, pets and clinical staff are common among assisted living providers, there is a difference when it comes to experience and care. We have been leading the way in memory care for 20 years. The best way to see the Silverado difference is to experience it, call us today and schedule a tour.

Map of Silverado Berkeley