What to Consider About Assisted Living in Huntington West
The Huntington area is located in Cabell County and Wayne County in West Virginia and has a population of around 48,738. As the second most populous city in the state, Huntington is able to support its growing senior population by with five local assisted living facilities. There also nine more in nearby communities if seniors don't find what they are looking for in Huntington.
The Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) Bureau for Public Health, Office of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification (OHFLAC) regulates each facility and licenses them as either a residential care community or assisted living residence (ALR).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Huntington West
- Seniors living on a pension or other limited-income sources find the cost of living in Huntington to be more manageable than elsewhere in the country. Compared to the national average of 100, the town's expenses rank an 88 for groceries, 94 for transportation, 37 for housing and 98 for goods and services. Alternatively, health care is slightly more expensive and is ranked at 101.
- The city of Huntington is only considered 3 percent safer to neighborhoods statewide and 4 percent safer than regional towns. Seniors may not feel safe walking around by themselves because the chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime are increased by 112 percent compared to living in most other cities in the nation.
- Seniors living here worry less about smog, tree and weed pollen and other air-related hazards than others do in the nation. This is primarily due to the town having a better air quality index by 23 percent and pollution index by 52 percent when compared to the average readings in all cities throughout the country.
- Locals in Huntington experience long, sometimes frigid winters that average temperatures between 34 degrees Fahrenheit to 46 degrees Fahrenheit. Seniors should be even more cautious from December to February, where temperatures can drop as low as 25 degrees Fahrenheit to 29 degrees Fahrenheit at times. Summers can be mildly hot, with humidity levels rarely exceeding 66 percent.
- Huntington has an array of community resources for seniors, including the YMCA of Huntington, an organization that provides senior group fitness classes, including water aerobics.
- The Huntington area is home to world-class facilities, including Cabell Huntington Hospital, Mary's Medical Center and Hershel "Woody" Williams VA Medical center, a veteran hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Huntington West
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in West Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Huntington start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Huntington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Huntington West
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Huntington West
Huntington West and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Huntington West
Huntington West-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in West Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page for more information about these laws.