Assisted Living in Terrell
Life Open Heart Open Home9422 E US Highway 80, Terrell, TX
Colonial Lodge Assisted Living202 Fm 2578, Terrell, TX
Rosehaven Assisted Living1010 Rosehill Rd, Terrell, TX
Three Forks Senior Living of Forney335 South FM 548, Forney, TX
Cedar Ridge1100 Janet Cir, Kaufman, TX
At A Glance
There are 6 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Terrell is $3,000 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Terrell area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 6 reviews of assisted living communities in the Terrell area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 6 assisted living communities in the Terrell area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Terrell
Terrell, TX, is a tiny village of just 810 people who live in the open country east of Dallas and south of Poetry. This area is very popular with seniors for its mild winters, and despite its size, the town now supports 15 assisted living communities. These are all regulated by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services for quality of care and state standards of staff training. Residents in Terrell's residential care homes get room and board, as well as help with the activities of daily living (ADLs) that have become difficult for them.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Terrell
Weather in Terrell drops to an average of 35 degrees Fahrenheit in winter, which makes for mild evenings even in December. Summer highs average 96 degrees. August sees several 100-plus days here, which can drive some heat-sensitive seniors indoors during the worst of the summer heat.
- Groceries cost about 5 percent less in Terrell than the national average, which is great for seniors who do their own shopping, but health care can be a lot more expensive here. Average costs for medical care are close to 27 percent higher in Terrell than national averages.
- There's no income tax in Texas on wages or retirement income, so seniors can dip into their 401(k) without state-level penalties. There is a sales tax of between 6.25 and 8.25 percent, however, and the 20 cent gas tax can be a bit much for aging citizens who drive a lot.
Terrell's crime rate rose from a low in 2014 to somewhat higher than the national average in 2017. Property crime rates here are still lower than they were during the 2000s, but they're still about 20 percent higher than the national average.
- Seniors who need a ride in Terrell can call STAR Transit to book an on-demand trip from almost any location in town to any other. STAR asks riders to call at least one day in advance of the trip, but not more than two weeks ahead of time. STAR's ADA-compliant vehicles help seniors and riders with disabilities make it to scheduled medical visits and day trips for shopping or personal visits.
- The Terrell area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Kaufman, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Terrell
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Terrell start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Terrell and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Terrell
STAR+PLUS is the Texas state Medicaid waiver program for low-income seniors. Aging citizens who need help with the cost of assisted living can apply if they have Medicaid with no share of cost.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Terrell
Terrell and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Terrell
Terrell-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.