3 Assisted Living Facilities
The average cost of assisted living in
than the national median of
To help you with your search, browse the
assisted living facilities
On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lufkin
out of 5 stars.
Better rated regions include
with an average rating of
out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about
assisted living options and costs in
The average cost of assisted living in Lufkin is $3,350 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,345.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lufkin. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lufkin 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Nacogdoches with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lufkin, call (855) 863-8283.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lufkin
Review of Neches House
Neches House seemed well kept up. Their amenities included an activity room, a dining room, a snack room, and an area where they have activities and fitness. They did allow pets, so that was a plus... Read more
Review of Neches House
I visited Neches House, and it was nice. The rooms were good, and the staff was very nice. It looked like a good facility, but I don't think it's right for my parents because of cost. It looked lik... Read more
Review of Pinecrest Retirement Community
Pinecrest was excellent, the rooms were clean, modern, and they were remodeling some of them. They have an ice cream parlor, popcorn machine, and they have a larger activity room which was very spa... Read more
Assisted Living near Angelina County, TX
More Options Near Lufkin, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lufkin
Lufkin, Texas, is a small town located 120 miles north of Houston. The city's visitor's bureau notes that visitors and residents enjoy the many outdoor activities, cultural arts, and the wide range of cultural activities year-round. There's plenty for seniors to do like fishing and boating on Lake Sam Rayburn and visiting local museums. There are 31 assisted living facilities in the Lufkin area. The state of Texas designates two levels of assisted living. Type A facilities house residents able to evacuate on their own in an emergency, while Type B facilities serve residents who need overnight care and would need direction in case of an evacuation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lufkin
- South Texas weather is characterized by long, hot summers and mild, snow-free winters. The average July high temperatures in Lufkin average 93 degrees and January lows are around 37. This type of weather pattern may not be conducive to some seniors.
- The air quality in Lufkin is 47, which is worse than the U.S. average of 58. According to the American Lung Association, those with respiratory conditions, asthma and those over 65 may be at risk from particle or pollution in the Lufkin area.
- The cost of living in Lufkin is 90, compared to a U.S. average of 100. The main difference is housing prices, which are 30 percent lower than the national average. This shouldn't affect seniors in assisted living, but higher healthcare costs might since they're 17 percent higher than the national average.
- Violent crime rates in Lufkin are about 12 percent higher than the national average, while property crimes are nearly double the U/S. average. Seniors are advised to use caution and secure their belongings.
- Texas has no state income tax, meaning that retirement income and social security benefits are not subject to taxation. This means more money available for assisted living expenses. However, Texas has some of the highest rates in the nation for sales and property taxes.
- The Port Arthur area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Woodland Heights Medical Center and Christ St. Luke's, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lufkin
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Lufkin start around $3,350 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lufkin and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lufkin
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services may be able to place seniors into assisted living communities according to their budget and level of care needed. Those with Medicaid or Medicare benefits, or seniors receiving SSI income, may be eligible for assisted living financing. The STAR+PLUS program is also an option for qualifying seniors, available in many parts of the state.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lufkin
Lufkin and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lufkin
Lufkin-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.