Assisted Living in Yankton
Avera Sacred Heart Majestic Bluffs2111 W 11th St, Yankton, SD
Prairie Homes Assisted Living LLC300 E 6th St, Yankton, SD
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Yankton area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 5 reviews of assisted living communities in the Yankton area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 3 assisted living communities in the Yankton area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Yankton
Located on the banks of the storied Missouri River, Yankton was the first capital of the Dakota Territory. Nicknamed “Mother City of the Dakotas,” Yankton has a population of 14,516, nearly 18 percent of whom are over the age of 65. Three assisted living facilities are located in Yankton, and one is in nearby Wakonda. Assisted living facilities in Yankton and greater South Dakota are licensed and monitored by the South Dakota Department of Health’s Office of Health Facilities Licensure & Certification.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Yankton
- The weather in Yankton can be extreme in the summer and winter, although spring and fall are lovely. In the summer, the average high is around 86 degrees Fahrenheit, while winter lows hover around 10 degrees. Yankton has plenty of sunshine, with 209 sunny days each year, compared to the U.S. average of 205 sunny days.
- Yankton residents enjoy a relatively low crime rate. The city’s violent crime index clocks in at 16.6, compared to the U.S. average index of 31.1. The property crime index in Yankton is 38.2, which is similar to the national property crime rate.
- Seniors in Yankton can enjoy a wide range of activities, including art galleries, museums, movie theaters and the RiverWalk, which offers close-up views of mighty Missouri and features green spaces and lots of public art.
- Yankton has an array of community resources for seniors, including the South Dakota Department of Social Services’ Adult Services and Aging Programs, an organization that provides information and resources including prescription assistance, legal services, housing and transportation, as well as one senior center.
Yankton Transit is a non-profit public transit service offering transportation by bus or accessible van to any location in the city. Medicaid recipients may qualify for assistance paying for rides to medical appointments.
- The Yankton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Avera Sacred Heart Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Yankton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Dakota
Assisted Living costs in Yankton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Yankton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Yankton
South Dakota’s HOPE Waiver for the Elderly can help qualifying seniors pay for assisted living. Additionally, South Dakota offers Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits that can also be used to help pay for assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Yankton
Yankton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Yankton
Yankton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Dakota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page for more information about these laws.