Assisted Living in Canton
Good Samaritan Society - Canton ALC1022 N Dakota Ave, Canton, SD
Sanford Health Hiawatha Heights Living Center398 Hiawatha Drive, Canton, SD
At A Glance
There are 2 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Canton is $3,211 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Canton area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 1 reviews of assisted living communities in the Canton area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 2 assisted living communities in the Canton area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Canton
The seat of Lincoln County, Canton, South Dakota, is just a twenty-minute drive from Sioux Falls and is home to a considerable senior demographic — nearly 17 percent of the population is 65 and over. Currently, there are two assisted living facilities in Camden and a further twenty in close proximity. The state’s assisted living facilities are regulated by the South Dakota Department of Health. These facilities are designed to help seniors with activities of daily living and provide them with a comfortable, welcoming and safe home in a community of peers. Some of the facilities are equipped to offer specialized care to seniors who may have a condition like dementia or a disability.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Canton
- Seniors concerned about saving money may be pleased to know that South Dakota is one of several states that does not tax social security checks.
- The cost of living index in Canton is 87, which is considerably less than the national cost of living index of 100. As a result, seniors may find more funds in their budgets to help pay for services and amenities like assisted living care.
- Many seniors care considerably about community safety. Canton has an average annual crime rate of 1,006 crimes per 100,000 people. This is much lower than the national rate which is 2,837 crimes per 100,000 people.
- Canton has an array of resources for seniors, including the Canton Senior Center, which offers educational programs, recreational activities, and social gatherings.
- Canton is home to outstanding medical facilities, including the Sanford Canton-Inwood Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies and illness.
- The weather in Canon can be extremely cold and blustery during the winter season, and this can make it difficult for seniors to easily traverse the city. The average January low is seven degrees Fahrenheit.
Paying for Assisted Living in Canton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Dakota
Assisted Living costs in Canton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Canton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Canton
South Dakota offers a waiver to help pay for the costs associated with an assisted living facility. The South Dakota Medicaid Home and Community-Based Options and Person Centered Excellence (HOPE) Waiver provides financial assistance for seniors who reside at an assisted living facility. There is a cap on these funds, however, so even seniors who're eligible for assistance may spend time on a waiting list.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Canton
Canton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Canton
Canton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Dakota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page for more information about these laws.