Assisted Living in North Charleston
Ashley Landing Assisted Living4550 Great Oak Drive, North Charleston, SC
Life Care Center of Charleston2600 Elms Plantation Boulevard, North Charleston, SC
Somerby of Mount Pleasant3100 Tradition Circle, Mount Pleasant, SC
Brookdale Charleston2030 Charlie Hall Blvd, Charleston, SC
The Crossings at West Ashley1925 Essex Farms Drive, Charleston, SC
Royal Oaks950 Travelers Blvd, Summerville, SC
Palmettos of Charleston1900 Ashley Crossing Drive, Charleston, SC
The Crossings at Wescott Plantation5130 Wescott Blvd., Summerville, SC
Summit Place of Daniel Island320 Seven Farms Drive, Charleston, SC
The Palms of Mt. Pleasant937 Bowman Road, Mount Pleasant, SC
At A Glance
There are 21 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in North Charleston is $2,852 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the North Charleston area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 6 reviews of assisted living communities in the North Charleston area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 21 assisted living communities in the North Charleston area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in North Charleston
North Charleston is part of the Charleston metropolitan area and has experienced strong, steady growth since its incorporation in 1972, with a senior population of just 9.4 percent. This city has two assisted living facilities for seniors, but there are another 18 in surrounding areas. The South Carolina's Department of Health and Environmental Control regulates these facilities, officially known as community residential care facilities that provide residents with assistance with personal care and other daily living activities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in North Charleston
- North Charleston has a particularly favorable climate for seniors who enjoy outdoor activities. Its comfort rating is 83 on a scale of 1 to 100, which is based on the total number of sunny days with low humidity during the year. The temperature range in North Charleston is typical for South Carolina, with an average low of 37 degrees in January and an average high of 91 degrees in July.
- The cost of living in North Charleston is about six percent below the national average. However, housing is 24 percent below the national average, which accounts for the low overall cost of living. The cost of groceries, healthcare and utilities are all significantly above the national average in North Charleston, so seniors will need to budget more carefully than in most other cities.
- North Charleston has a high crime rate for both violent and property crimes, which will require seniors to be especially careful when going on day trips and running errands. The annual rate of violent crimes in North Charleston is 9 per thousand people, compared to an average of 5.02 for all of South Carolina. The annual rate of property crimes is 56.28 per thousand people in North Charleston, with the average for South Carolina being 32.44.
- CARTA is the regional public transit system for the Charleston metroplex, with Route 11 serving North Charleston. Seniors 55 and older pay less than half the standard fare during non-peak hours and less than that if they also qualify as low-income passengers. CARTA holds Senior Free Days occasionally, which allows all seniors to ride for free.
- The North Charleston Senior Center on Dorchester Road hosts a full schedule of activities, including games, entertainment, social events and fitness classes. It also holds regular outings, including lunch, local trips and out-of-town trips. Additional services available at this senior center include wellness checks and other community services.
- The North Charleston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MUSC Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in North Charleston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in North Charleston start around $2,852 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in North Charleston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in North Charleston
South Carolina uses a Medicaid waiver program called the Community Choices Waiver to provide seniors with financial aid for assisted living. This program also includes related services such as assistance with daily living activities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in North Charleston
North Charleston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in North Charleston
North Charleston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.