54 Assisted Living Facilities in West Chester, PA
Bellingham Retirement Community1615 East Boot Road, West Chester, PA
Sunrise of Westtown501 Skiles Boulevard, West Chester, PA
Arbor Terrace Willistown1713 West Chester Pike, West Chester, PA
Arbour Square at West Chester1205 Ward Avenue, West Chester, PA
Barclay Friends700 North Franklin Street, West Chester, PA
The Hickman400 North Walnut Street, West Chester, PA
Park Lane at Bellingham1615 East Boot Road, West Chester, PA
Brandywine Hall800 W Miner St, West Chester, PA
Foulk Manor North1212 Foulk Road, Wilmington, DE
Freedom Village at Brandywine15 Freedom Blvd., Coatesville, PA
Sunrise of Granite Run247 North Middletown Road, Media, PA
Sunrise of Wilmington2215 Shipley Street, Wilmington, DE
Forwood Manor1912 Marsh Road, Wilmington, DE
The Residence at Glen Riddle263 Glen Riddle Road, Media, PA
St. Martha Villa490 Manor Avenue, Downingtown, PA
Sunrise of Paoli324 West Lancaster Avenue, Malvern, PA
Sunrise of Newtown Square333 South Newtown Square Road, Newtown Square, PA
Ivy Gables2210 Swiss Lane, Wilmington, DE
Foulk Manor South407 Foulk Road, Wilmington, DE
Wesley Enhanced Living Main Line100 Halcyon Drive, Media, PA
At A Glance
There are 54 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in West Chester is $4,893 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the West Chester area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 62 reviews of assisted living communities in the West Chester area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 54 assisted living communities in the West Chester area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in West Chester
West Chester, Pennsylvania has a population of just over 20,000 with almost 9 percent of residents considered seniors. To meet the needs of this group, there are eight assisted living facilities throughout West Chester, along with another 61 in neighboring communities including Coatesville and Media, as well as Wilmington, Delaware. In each of these facilities, seniors receive room and board in a comfortable residential setting, along with personal care services that include medication management and assistance with the activities of daily living, such as dressing, bathing and grooming. Assisted living facilities in West Chester, and in the rest of Pennsylvania, are licensed by the state's Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in West Chester
- The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) provides public transportation throughout West Chester, connecting the city to Philadelphia and King of Prussia. Discounted fares are available for seniors. SCCOOT and Krapf Transit also provide bus lines that travel through West Chester, and OurBus runs directly from West Chester to Manhattan.
- The West Chester area is home to world-class medical facilities, including West Chester Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Even though it can get hot and humid in West Chester, the weather here is variable, and uncomfortable temperatures rarely last long. Thunderstorms hit during late summer, and heavy snowfall occurs every few years.
- West Chester has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Chester County Department of Aging Services, an organization that provides Medicare counseling and protective services, as well as one senior center.
- The cost of living in West Chester is 37.6 percent higher than the average national cost of living, making this area a good choice for seniors who have ample retirement savings or income.
- West Chester is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in West Chester
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in West Chester start around $4,893 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in West Chester and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West Chester
While the state of Pennsylvania doesn't offer any financial assistance to help low-income seniors pay for assisted living costs, including through Medicare, it does offer a couple of prescription assistance programs that provide varying degrees of financial benefits based on income. These programs, known as PACE and PACENET, shouldn't be confused with the Medicare PACE program, which is not available in Pennsylvania.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in West Chester
West Chester and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West Chester
West Chester-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.