What to Consider About Assisted Living in Warminster
Warminster is a small town located just north of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania. It's history dates back to 1685, and the town itself has several listings from the Revolutionary War on the National Register of Historic Places. This is a popular place for retirees and 27 percent of the town's population of 32,400 are seniors aged 65 and older. There are 19 assisted living facilities in Warminster to care for the large senior population. Assisted living facilities in Pennsylvania are regulated and licensed by the PA Department of Human Services. In addition, individual caretakers who will perform unsupervised actions of assistance are required to undergo qualifying courses and testing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Warminster
- Residents of Warminster experience all four seasons. Summers are hot and humid, with July high reaching 86, while winters are cold and snowy. January lows are around 23. The proximity to the Atlantic Coast may affect residents during hurricane season in the fall.
Cost of living in Warminster is 129.5, compared against a U.S. average base of 100. Grocery costs are slightly higher, and health care expenses about 10 points more. The largest difference is housing costs, one and a half times the national average, which could increase the cost for residents in assisted living.
- Both violent crime rates and property crime rates are lower in Warminster than the national average. While this indicates that Warminster is relatively safe, seniors are advised to use caution when traveling into Philadelphia proper.
- The Warminster Rush Bus provides transportation to the SEPTA bus and rail line stations in Philadelphia and the surrounding communities. the SEPTA offers free rides to seniors aged 65 and over for all transport, including bus, light rail, and trollies.
- Warminster, as a suburb of Philadelphia, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Warminster area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Abington Health Center and Doylestown Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Warminster
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Warminster start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Warminster and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Warminster
Pennsylvania seniors receiving Medicaid may be eligible for "Medicaid Waivers," also called Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waivers or Waiver Funded Services. Eligibility is determined on whether the cost of assisted living is less than that of a nursing home, as well as other factors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Warminster
Warminster and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Warminster
Warminster-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.