Assisted Living in Pottstown
Chestnut Knoll Personal Care and Memory Care120 West 5th Street, Boyertown, PA
Keystone Villa at Douglassville1152 Ben Franklin Highway East, Douglassville, PA
Greenfield of Perkiomen Valley300 Perkiomen Avenue, Schwenksville, PA
Elmcroft of Reading9 Colin Court, Reading, PA
The Landing of Collegeville1421 South Collegeville Road, Collegeville, PA
Spring Mill Senior Living3000 Balfour Cir, Phoenixville, PA
Amity Place139 Old Swede Road, Douglassville, PA
Brandywine Living at Upper Providence1133 Black Rock Road, Phoenixville, PA
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Pottstown area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 13 reviews of assisted living communities in the Pottstown area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 15 assisted living communities in the Pottstown area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pottstown
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, is situated alongside the Schuylkill River approximately 40 miles northwest of Philadelphia. Pottstown's 13.1 percent senior population is served by two assisted living facilities directly within the city and an additional 25 facilities nearby.
Throughout Pottstown and the rest of the state of Pennsylvania, assisted living facilities are known as Personal Care Homes (PCHs) and are licensed and monitored by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. PCHs in Pottstown are designated by the state as residences that provide shelter, meals, supervision and assistance with personal care tasks.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pottstown
- The climate in Pottstown is distinguished by mild to cool winters that average 30 degrees Fahrenheit and hot and humid summers that average 75 degrees. The city gets 10 fewer inches of snow than the annual national average snowfall, so seniors who are looking for a temperate climate with all four seasons might consider Pottstown.
- The Pottstown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Tower Health Pottstown Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The state of Pennsylvania is considered retirement tax-friendly because it doesn't tax social security income. Cities such as Pottstown offer seniors the opportunity to enjoy tax cuts and save money.
- Pottstown has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Tri-County Active Adult Center, an organization that offers a variety of programs that address issues such as health and wellness, adult education and socialization.
- More than 99 percent of cities and towns within Pennsylvania have a lower crime rate than in Pottstown, and seniors have a 1 in 21 chance of becoming a victim of violent or property crime in the area. Because of the high crime rates in Pottstown, it might be unsafe for seniors to travel alone after dark or to carry valuables with them.
- In Pottstown, public transportation is offered by the Pottstown Area Rapid Transit (PART) system. Seniors qualify for free public transit with a valid Transit I.D. or Medicare Card. The nearest major airport is located in Allentown (Lehigh Valley International Airport), approximately 44 miles from Pottstown.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pottstown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Pottstown start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pottstown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pottstown
Because the state of Pennsylvania does not offer any specific resources for financial assistance for assisted living (PCH), the state's official website offers suggestions for paying for long-term care in Pottstown, including enrolling in long-term insurance or paying through private savings.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pottstown
Pottstown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pottstown
Pottstown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.