Assisted Living in Palmerton
The Palmerton71 Princeton Avenue, Palmerton, PA
Eastern Comfort2491 Cherry Hill Road, Palmerton, PA
Renee's Countryside Farm Personal Care Home1305 CHURCH DRIVE, Palmerton, PA
Atria Bethlehem1745 West Macada Road, Bethlehem, PA
Heritage Hill Senior Community800 6th Street, Weatherly, PA
Liza's House Personal1357 Blue Mountain Drive, Danielsville, PA
Rittenhouse Village At Lehigh Valley1263 S. Cedar Crest Boulevard, Allentown, PA
Legend of Allentown6043 Lower Macungie Road, Macungie, PA
Whitehall Manor1177 Sixth Street, Whitehall, PA
Bethlehem Manor815 Pennsylvania Avenue, Bethlehem, PA
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Palmerton area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 20 reviews of assisted living communities in the Palmerton area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 51 assisted living communities in the Palmerton area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Palmerton
Palmerton is a mid-sized city in east-central Pennsylvania, situated just 20 miles west of the New Jersey border. A little over 5,000 people call this small borough home, approximately18 percent of whom are over the age of 65. In spite of its modest population, Palmerton offers three assisted living facilities, with another 48 facilities nearby.
In Palmerton, assisted living facilities are officially known as "Assisted Living Residences" or "Personal Care Homes." This distinction is based upon the spectrum of care they are licensed to provide, with assisted living residences caring for residents who need assistance with the activities of daily living and personal care homes for those who do not. Assisted living residences are licensed through the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing. Personal care homes are licensed through the Department of Public Welfare, Adult Residential Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Palmerton
- Palmerton's summers are hot and humid and often bring heavy thunderstorms, which may be a consideration for seniors who enjoy being outdoors. Winters are mild, with the mountain ridges providing a shield against the winds and cold air that plague the north. Annual temperatures range between 19 degrees and 83 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Palmerton's violent crime rate is quite low, rating 13.0 on a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 indicating high crime. The property crime rate is rated 35.8, which is about two points lower than the national average. Seniors who take normal security precautions should feel safe in Palmerton.
- Seniors in Palmerton do not pay income tax either on their Social Security benefits or income they draw from retirement accounts. Pension income is also tax-exempt for seniors over the age of 60.
- Seniors may discover that their expenses in Palmerton are higher than elsewhere, with healthcare costs being about 8 percent more and transportation costing an average of 19 percent more than other parts of the country.
- Public transit in Palmerton is provided by LANTA, which provides both fixed route and door-to-door service. Seniors can show their Pennsylvania travel ID to enjoy free fare on all bus rides. Additionally, PennDOT provides a Shared-Ride Lottery Program for seniors.
- The Palmerton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Luke's Palmerton Campus, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Palmerton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Palmerton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Palmerton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Palmerton
Currently, Palmerton seniors cannot use the state's Medicaid program to pay for assisted living. However, those who qualify for Supplemental Security Income can use this benefit, along with the additional SSI state supplement, to pay for their room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Palmerton
Palmerton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Palmerton
Palmerton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.