Assisted Living in Orwigsburg
Pinebrook Personal Care & Retirement Center2 WOODBRIDGE ROAD, Orwigsburg, PA
Holy Family Adult Day Care900 WEST MARKET STREET, Orwigsburg, PA
Orwigsburg CenterOrwigsburg Manor Dr, Orwigsburg, PA
Providence Place of Pottsville2200 First Avenue, Pottsville, PA
Luther Ridge at Seiders Hill160 RED HORSE ROAD, Pottsville, PA
Schuylkill Center1000 Schuylkill Manor Road, Pottsville, PA
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Orwigsburg area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 1 reviews of assisted living communities in the Orwigsburg area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 7 assisted living communities in the Orwigsburg area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Orwigsburg
Orwigsburg is a borough in Schuylkill County and home to around 3,000 people. The borough strives to create a community atmosphere, and seniors can get involved with many events throughout the year. Around 24 percent of the population is aged over 65, and they can find accommodation in one of the borough's three assisted living facilities or one of the 14 in nearby communities. These facilities are formally known as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs) in Pennsylvania. They're licensed and monitored by the Department of Human Services' Office of Long-Term Living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Orwigsburg
- Pennsylvania's tax policies have many benefits for retirees. All forms of retirement income, including Social Security, pensions and retirement funds, are tax-exempt for residents over 60, and sales taxes are relatively low, which leads to big savings for seniors.
- Orwigsburg has cold winters, with low temperatures in January averaging 18 degrees. The borough gets around 33 inches of snow each year, which is 7 inches more than the national average. This can be difficult for seniors who enjoy spending time outside, especially during the winter months.
- Orwigsburg's crime rate is lower than 65 percent of America's towns and cities at just 11 per 1,000 residents. The borough's property crime rate of 9.01 is almost half the state average of 17.43. Violent crime is also low, with a rate of 1.67, compared to Pennsylvania's average of 3.16. Safety-conscious seniors may find the low level of crime reassuring.
- Public transport options in Orwigsburg are limited; however, seniors may be able to access Schuylkill Transportation System's Shared Ride Van Program. Fares for trips to certain destinations are subsidised.
- The cost of living in Orwigsburg is rated at 91 on Sperling's index, 9 points above the U.S. average, but this is largely due to low housing prices. Grocery and transportation costs are close to the national average, and health care costs are 20 points higher, which may impact the budgets of seniors with health conditions.
- The Orwigsburg area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Pottsville.
Paying for Assisted Living in Orwigsburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Orwigsburg start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Orwigsburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Orwigsburg
In Orwigsburg, financial assistance is available to seniors who receive Social Security income through the Optional State Supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Orwigsburg
Orwigsburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Orwigsburg
Orwigsburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.