Assisted Living in Hazleton
The Corrigan House200 West 27th Street, Hazleton, PA
Laurels Senior Living Community23 FAITH DRIVE, Hazleton, PA
Davis Manor South126 NORTH CHURCH STREET, Hazleton, PA
The Patrician600 NORTH LAUREL STREET, Hazleton, PA
Fritzingertown Senior Living Community159 South Old Turnpike Road, Drums, PA
Providence Place of Hazleton149 S Hunter Highway Route 309, Drums, PA
Andsher Personal Care Home20 NORTH KENNEDY DRIVE, Mcadoo, PA
At A Glance
There are 7 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Hazleton is $1,800 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Hazleton area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 5 reviews of assisted living communities in the Hazleton area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 7 assisted living communities in the Hazleton area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hazleton
Hazelton sits among the ridges and valleys of Pennsylvania's Sandy Mountain plateau. The area offers various recreational and natural areas for seniors to enjoy, including the nearby Pocono Mountains, so the opportunity for scenic day trips is ever-present.
Seniors seeking assisted living facilities in the Scranton-Wilkes Barre-Hazelton Metro Area will find 42, with 19 located in Scranton and 23 in Wilkes-Barre. The Pennsylvania Department of Aging provides licensing for assisted living residences in the area. Factors involved in licensing include both the number of residents housed and the level of care the facility provides.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hazleton
- The cost of living index in Hazelton is 22.7 points lower than the national average. The cost of living in this city is also considerably lower than throughout the state of Pennsylvania. Seniors can expect to pay slightly lower grocery and health care rates than elsewhere in the country.
- Hazelton is a relatively safe area for seniors. Crime rates in Hazelton are very near the U.S. average. Violent crime is 3.9 points higher, while property crime is 3.7 points lower than the rest of the nation.
- The Hazelton climate may be too harsh for seniors accustomed to warmer climates. The city gets around 41 inches of snow each year, which is 15 inches more than average in the United States, and blizzards are a common occurrence. The area is more cloudy and rainy than the rest of the state.
Tax rates in Hazelton are very senior-friendly. The sales tax rate, at 6.0 percent, is the same as the national average, and the income tax rate is only slightly higher. The good news for seniors is that Pennsylvania completely exempts retirement income from Social Security, IRAs, and 401(k)s. For those ages 60 or older, the state also exempts income from pensions.
- The Hazelton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lehigh Valley Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Hazelton Public Transit provides transportation for the city. By obtaining a HPT identification card at no charge, seniors ages 65 and older qualify for free rides.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hazleton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Hazleton start around $1,800 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hazleton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hazleton
The state of Pennsylvania does not provide financial assistance through either the Medicaid State Plan or through any waiver program. There is an option for seniors who cannot afford the high price of assisted living in the state. The Pennsylvania Domiciliary Care program, known as Dom Care, provides an assisted living alternative for those who qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hazleton
Hazleton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hazleton
Hazleton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.