Assisted Living in Dallas

13 Communities

The Village at Greenbriar

4244 Memorial Highway, Dallas, PA
$$$$
Icansing4U2: "Greenbriar is inviting from the minute the doors slide open. The decor and warmth inside are a delight to the eye. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the activities are in abundance. I wouldn't mind living here when I grow older. Greenbriar gets a 5+ star from me. Others cant compare. The staff has been here for year's. That alone is a testimonial to Greenbriar. Disgruntled employees dont stay. Keep up the great work Cheryl. "

The Meadows Manor

200 LAKE STREET, Dallas, PA
$$$$
Paul Camiolo: "Overall I am pleased with Meadows. They started with both my Aunt and Uncle. Yvonne cares and it is evident as she help the residents with the infirmities of old age. The food staff treats my Uncle very well and tries to indulge his food wants. The rest of the aides are caring and do their best. Getting old is hard - they made it doable, "

Mercy Center Skilled Nursing & Personal Care

P O Box 301 Lake Street, Dallas, PA
$$$$
rla11: "I think that the staff is great, very patient and caring. Facility is always clean, too. The food is good and the care for my grandmother is great. I feel comfortable having her there. "

Kingston Manor

700 Third Avenue, Kingston, PA
$$$$
Barbra Smith: "My mom resides here and I am so pleased with her care. I am an RN myself and can have some high expectations of care and they have honestly exceeded it . Nursing care top notch the Nurse Mitzi is very responsive calls me back quickly when I call. Administrator gave me her cell phone number to call at anytime. Home smells nice every time I am there. Home made soup is a nice touch with meals and the extra attention to my mom who is very resistive to eating. Thanks you Kingston... (read more)

Wyoming Manor

80 Wyoming Ave, Wyoming, PA
$$$$
Joan: "I didn't like Wyoming Manor because it was so busy, very noisy outside, and on a busy street. We actually drove past it because we couldn't even find it. When we went inside, it wasn't bad. I thought the place was small because as soon as you walk in, you could smell the food; the cafeteria was right there as soon as you go in. The staff was excellent and very helpful. All of the them were right there in the front. They talked to me and said they didn't have any beds availab... (read more)

Tiffany Court at Kingston

700 Northampton Street, Kingston, PA
$$$$
Sandy: "I visited Tiffany Court at Kingston. It was OK, and adequate, but my dad didn’t enjoy it too much. The staff was very nice, the location was very good, and the grounds were very nicely kept. The rooms were a little tight, and a little small, but adequate. It’s worth checking out definitely."

Fernwood Manor

5848 MAIN ROAD, Hunlock Creek, PA
$$$$
Curtis S.YPKIZ: "My aunt has been in Fernwood Manor for about eight weeks now, and she says that she’s going to stay here for a while. It’s all on one floor with pretty long the hallways. If my aunt wants to exercise, she could walk down to the end of the hallway, turn around and come back a couple of times, and she’s good to go. The food is made on-site, so it's not the stuff that’s delivered nor processed food, and they’re allowed to have snacks, as well. She does bingo almost every other ... (read more)

Star Hill Rest Home

935 Star Hill Road, Harveys Lake, PA
1 review
Anonymous115505450: "My mother-in-law is in Star Hill Rest Home, and I am definitely pleased. They staff is very personable. It's set up more like a home as opposed to a nursing home. The rooms are fine. They play bingo and are brought snacks or treats besides the regular meals. "

Plymouth Manor Personal Care Center

120 MARTZ MANOR, Plymouth, PA
1 review
selly0618: "The facility was so friendly! The staff were very friendly. It seemed like a place that I would feel comfortable putting my grandparents in. I spent time in the dining area with the elderly, and we shared stories about their life. It seems that they were in a happy space in the place they lived. I could imagine that it's very uncomfortable living in a home like that. But this place was very friendly. They had their own apartments one of the lady said, however I didn't see th... (read more)

Riverstreet Manor

440 N River St, Wilkes Barre, PA
1 review
Offering skilled nursing, medical and rehabilitative care for patients and residents. Whether for a short stay or for an extended period, our Clinical Care Teams are focused on implementing personalized care programs to facilitate recovery and improve well-being.

At A Glance

There are 13 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Dallas is $3,903 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.

Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Dallas area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.

• See more than 13 reviews of assisted living communities in the Dallas area from residents and their loved ones.
  • Browse our comprehensive directory of 13 assisted living communities in the Dallas area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dallas

Dallas is a township in the northern part of Luzerne County. It was founded in 1817 and is now home to around 9,000 people, almost 22 percent of whom are over 65. Seniors in the area can find accommodation in one of the town's three assisted living facilities. There are a further 20 in nearby communities including Kingston, Plymouth and Hunlock Creek. These facilities and licensed and monitored by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services' Office of Long-Term Living and are known as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs).

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dallas

• The Dallas area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Wilkes-Barre.
  • The Luzerne County Transportation Authority has a fixed-route service that goes through Dallas. Senior riders are eligible to travel for free. LCTA also has a shared ride program that offers curb-to-curb service for a small fee.
  • Dallas has cold winters with the low temperature in January averaging 15 degrees Fahrenheit. The town has 89 days of annual precipitation and there's an average of 45 inches of rain and 36 inches of snow per year, both higher than the national average. This may be challenging for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors.
  • The overall crime rate in Dallas is just 10 crimes per 1,000 residents, lower than 68 percent of other U.S. communities. The violent crime rate is 2.17, around one point lower than the state average. Property crime occurs at a rate of 7.59, compared to the state average of 17.43. Safety-conscious seniors may feel comfortable choosing an assisted living community in Dallas.
  • Luzerne County, including Dallas, has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Luzerne County Area Agency on Aging, an organization that promotes independence and healthy lifestyles as well as more than one senior center.
  • Seniors aged over 60 years old do not have to pay income tax on money received from Social Security, pensions or retirement funds in Pennsylvania. Additionally, the state has one of the lowest sales tax rates in the country, allowing seniors to save more for their retirement budget.

Paying for Assisted Living in Dallas

Average Monthly Costs

Cities in Pennsylvania

$4,000.00 US
$3,225.00 Scranton
$2,353.00 Kingston
$1,590.00 Wilkes Barre

Assisted Living costs in Dallas start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.

It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dallas and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dallas

The state of Pennsylvania has an Optional State Supplement (OSS) which may provide financial assistance to seniors in Dallas who receive Social Security income.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Dallas

Dallas and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dallas

Dallas-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.