3 Assisted Living Facilities near Milton-Freewater, OR
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Milton-Freewater area, with 2 in Milton-Freewater and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Milton-Freewater. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Milton-Freewater 2.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Walla Walla with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Milton-Freewater, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Milton-Freewater, OR
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Milton Freewater
The city of Milton-Freewater, which is located in Umatilla County, Oregon, was formed in 1950 when two neighboring cities Milton and Freewater, voted to merge. It's home to about 7,000 residents, roughly 14% of whom are aged 65 and older. These seniors are served by CAPECO, an organization that offers food and nutrition services, transportation, case management and legal aid referrals, as well as one senior center.
In Milton-Freewater, seniors who need assistance with some activities of daily living may reside in one of the region's three assisted living facilities, two of which are located within the city, and one that's about 10 miles away in College Point, Washington. These facilities are categorized as either assisted living residences or residential care homes, depending on the level of care they are licensed to provide, and they are governed by the Oregon Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Milton Freewater
- The Milton-Freewater area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Walla Walla.
- Seniors in Milton-Freewater do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, and they can claim tax credits to minimize state taxes paid on pension income. Withdrawals from retirement savings accounts are taxed as regular income.
- Milton-Freewater is a very affordable place to live, which may make it a good option for budget-conscious seniors. On a cost of living index based on a national average of 100, Milton-Freewater's overall living expenses are rated 90, which is considerably lower than the statewide average of 124.4.
- While property crime is more common in Milton-Freewater than in the average U.S. city, its rate of violent crime is considerably lower than the national average. This may appeal to seniors who enjoy being active in their community.
- Milton-Freewater is among the hottest cities in Oregon, with summer highs ranging from 79 to 89 degrees. Winters are fairly mild with highs between 40 and 56 degrees. The city's climate may be well-suited for seniors who enjoy participating in outdoor activities.
- Seniors with respiratory conditions or cardiovascular disease may benefit from Milton-Freewater's clean air. The city's air quality is rated 83 out of 100 points, compared to the national average of 58.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Milton Freewater
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Oregon
Assisted Living costs in Milton-Freewater start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Milton-Freewater and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Milton Freewater
Qualifying seniors in the Milton-Freewater region may have assisted living services covered under K Plan, the state's Medicaid program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Milton Freewater
Milton Freewater and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Milton Freewater, please visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Milton Freewater
Milton Freewater-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Oregon are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Milton-Freewater
Review of Cascade Valley Assisted Living & Memory Care
Cascade Valley Assisted Living and Memory Care was not very promising. The staff wasn't very attentive. There were people asking for help, but there wasn't staff around. From the time we went in an... Read more
Review of Evergreen Oregon Assisted Living & Retirement Center
A Christian assisted living facility in Mesa, if you like a sedentary lifestyle. Very, very quiet with little input from staff. My mother and I checked out this facility in the same day we toured... Read more