What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lancaster
Colonel Ebenezer Zane founded Lancaster, Ohio, in 1800 as a farm settlement. Today, this city in central Ohio is home to 42 assisted living communities where seniors can live with the maximum independence and privacy their health allows. These sites are all regulated at the state level by the Ohio Department of Health’s Office of Health Assurance and Licensing, which publishes training documents and conducts regular inspections of properties. Seniors in Ohio's assisted living communities can expect room and board for their monthly payments, as well as 24-hour response from staff and help with their activities of daily living (ADLs). These include help bathing, dressing and meal preparation, as well as the administration of some medication.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lancaster
Lancaster's weather is marked by cold winters, which can be problematic for seniors with respiratory issues like COPD, and very mild summers. December lows here drop to 18 degrees Fahrenheit, while summer highs reach 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The cost of living in Lancaster is just a bit lower for most seniors than it is elsewhere in the United States. Grocery shoppers here pay around 90 percent the national average for their goods, while health care bills that hover close to 98 percent of the median nationwide.
- Ohio charges income tax of between 0.495 to 4.997 percent, to which is added a local tax of between 0 and 3 percent, depending on locality. Seniors who live on SSI and some types of retirement income enjoy an exemption, which can help stretch investment money somewhat. Ohio also imposes a 6.5 to 8 percent sales tax.
- Crime is somewhat higher in Lancaster than the national average. Crimes against seniors, such as burglary and assault, are less common than simple thefts, and rarely occur in fully staffed assisted living communities.
- Public transportation in Lancaster is in the hands of Lancaster-Fairfield Public Transit, which operates five hourly buses on fixed-deviated routes. Seniors with valid ID get a discount on regular fares on this service, as do riders with disabilities.
- The Lancaster area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fairfield Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lancaster
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Lancaster start around $2,489 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lancaster and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lancaster
Ohio's Assisted Living Waiver helps Medicaid-eligible seniors cover some or all of the cost of living in assisted living communities. Low-income seniors can also apply for Ohio's residential state supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lancaster
Lancaster and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lancaster
Lancaster-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.