What to Consider About Assisted Living in Smithtown
Smithtown, New York, is a suburb of New York City located on Long Island with a senior population of 18.3 percent. These seniors are served by three assisted living facilities in Smithtown and 23 in the surrounding area. Assisted living facilities are known as adult care facilities (ACF) in Smithtown and are defined as centers providing residential services such as room and board to adults who are unable to live independently. The three separate types of ACFs in New York, including enriched housing programs, are regulated and licensed by the New York State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Smithtown
- Smithtown is served by the Suffolk County Transit mass transportation system. Seniors qualify for discounted fares that are reduced to one-third of the regular price. Citizens who use a respirator or portable oxygen supply are permitted to ride SCT buses.
- The Smithtown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Catherine of Siena Hospital and Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Because Smithtown is situated on Long Island, winters are very cold and windy with average temperatures ranging between 20 and 40 degrees. Summers are hot and humid with temperatures that rarely go above 80 degrees. For seniors who prefer no precipitation and warm weather, Smithtown might be a less suitable option.
- Smithtown has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Smithtown Senior Citizens Department, an organization that aims to facilitate social, emotional, and physical well-being for independent senior citizens via various activities, holiday celebrations and field trips.
- The chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime in Smithtown is approximately one in 1,663, nearly seven times lower than the average violent crime rate in the state of New York. Smithtown could be considered a safer option than other areas of the state for seniors who travel alone often or after dark.
- The air quality in Smithtown is slightly better than the national average air quality. On a scale of one to 100, with 100 being perfect air quality, Smithtown's air quality is scored at 65 (compared to the country's average air quality score of 58). These numbers are derived from the National Air Toxics Assessment and should be considered by seniors who have respiratory illnesses or allergies.
Paying for Assisted Living in Smithtown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Smithtown start around $5,673 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Smithtown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Smithtown
Seniors seeking financial aid for paying for assisted living in Smithtown should look to the Medicaid program's Assisted Living Program (ALP) waiver, though this opportunity is restricted to 4,200 persons.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Smithtown
Smithtown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Smithtown
Smithtown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.