Assisted Living in Slingerlands
Atria Guilderland300 Mill Rose Court, Slingerlands, NY
Terrace at Beverwyck41 Beverwyck Lane, Slingerlands, NY
Brookdale Niskayuna1786 Union Street, Niskayuna, NY
Brookdale Colonie626 Watervliet Shaker Road, Latham, NY
Atria Crossgate140 Washington Avenue Extension, Albany, NY
Columbia Care Home18 Columbia Drive, East Greenbush, NY
Promenade at University Place1228 Western Ave., Albany, NY
Atria Shaker345 Northern Boulevard, Albany, NY
Eddy Hawthorne Ridge30 Community Way, East Greenbush, NY
Kingsway Manor Memory Care Center357 Kings Road, Schenectady, NY
At A Glance
There are 16 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Slingerlands is $5,005 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Slingerlands area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 24 reviews of assisted living communities in the Slingerlands area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 16 assisted living communities in the Slingerlands area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Slingerlands
Slingerlands is a small hamlet in the town of Bethlehem. It is located directly west of Albany and within easy access of Interstate 87. The area has plenty of green space for seniors to hike and enjoy nature, and it is in close proximity to the Delaware Shopping Center in Delmar where seniors can shop for good deals. For those looking to retire in the area, there are two assisted living facilities within Slingerlands and 23 close by.
Assisted living facilities in Slingerlands and the state of New York are regulated by the Department of Health and are often referred to as adult care facilities. There are three types of facilities for seniors to choose from. Adult homes offer the lowest level of care, which generally includes at least one meal per day, housekeeping and personal care. Enriched housing programs are for individuals 65 or older. Finally, assisted living residences offer the highest level of care, which includes 24-hour on-site monitoring.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Slingerlands
- The Slingerlands area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Peter’s Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Slingerlands has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Organize Senior Moves, an organization that helps senior citizens organize, pack and move to a different location as well as one senior center.
- The Senior Outreach Program of Bethlehem provides transportation for seniors within Slingerlands and the surrounding area. Rides are provided to and from the senior center, for doctor visits and various errands. The group also schedules organized outings.
- Seniors on a budget may find it slightly challenging to live in Slingerlands. The cost of living in the city is 129.4, which compares to the national average of 100. This is comparable to the states' cost of living average of 129.
- Seniors who want to escape the heat of the south may find Slingerlands' climate perfect. The average summer high is around 82, while January lows are around 15. The city gets around 55 inches of snow per year.
- Slingerlands is a relatively safe place for seniors to live. The crime rate is based on a scale from one (low) to 100 (high). In Slingerlands, the property crime rate is 37.6, which compares to the national average of 38.1. Violent crime ranks 27.9 in comparison to the national average of 31.1.
Paying for Assisted Living in Slingerlands
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Slingerlands start around $5,005 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Slingerlands and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Slingerlands
Financial assistance is available for seniors living in an assisted living facility in Slingerlands. This assistance is provided by the federal Medicaid 1915 waiver. Eligibility is based on the federal Supplement Security Income (SSI) payment and any additional forms of income. The state does not provide public assistance for assisted living facilities to low-income residents, however, family supplementation is permitted.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Slingerlands
Slingerlands and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Slingerlands
Slingerlands-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.