16 Assisted Living Facilities in Poughkeepsie, NY
Vassar-Warner Home52 South Hamilton Street, Poughkeepsie, NY
The Landing of Poughkeepsie251 Boardman Road, Poughkeepsie, NY
Dutchess Care186 Washington Street, Poughkeepsie, NY
Hyde Park Assisted Living394 Violet Ave., Poughkeepsie, NY
Valley Vista Senior Care141 North Road, Highland, NY
Morningside Manor135 Cooper Road, Fishkill, NY
Pine Ridge Adult Care394 Old Hopewell Rd, Wappingers Falls, NY
Hedgewood Home for Adults355 Fishkill Avenue, Beacon, NY
The Fountains at Millbrook79 Flint Road, Millbrook, NY
Green Briar Adult HomeP.O. Box 290, 26 Old Route 82, Millbrook, NY
The McClelland Home for Adults126 Old Castle Point Road, Beacon, NY
Goldsmith and Johnes Home11 Balmville Road, Newburgh, NY
The Avalon Assisted Living and Wellness Center1629 Route 376, Wappingers Falls, NY
Island View Adult Family Care715 Route 213, Rosendale, NY
Highland Assisted Living Center at Village View1 Grove Street, Highland, NY
Morans Rest Home1741 State Route 32, Modena, NY
At A Glance
There are 16 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Poughkeepsie is $6,080 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Poughkeepsie area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 7 reviews of assisted living communities in the Poughkeepsie area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 16 assisted living communities in the Poughkeepsie area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Poughkeepsie
Poughkeepsie is located in the Hudson River Valley and is the city where the US Constitution was ratified in 1788. In the state of New York, assisted living facilities are referred to as adult care facilities (ACF) and are regulated by the New York State Department of Health which licenses three separate types of facilities: adult homes, enriched housing programs and residencies for adults. Thirteen percent of Poughkeepsie's population are seniors, and with four ACFs directly in Poughkeepsie and 12 nearby, they have plenty of housing options.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Poughkeepsie
- Poughkeepsie is a cold city, with average temperatures around 49 degrees and highs of 85 in the summer months. Weather is an important detail for seniors to consider when contemplating assisted living.
- Poughkeepsie's violent crime rate is nearly triple that of the national average. This could mean the city isn't a very safe place for seniors to settle.
Free Dutchess County Public Transit passes are available for Poughkeepsie seniors presenting proof of age 60 years and older. Free transit means easier access to nearby restaurants, shopping centers and attractions.
- The cost of living in Poughkeepsie is 13 percent higher than the national average. However, it's nine percent lower than the rest of New York, making it a cost-effective home for seniors.
- The city of Poughkeepsie has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Center Program, an organization that allows residents to participate in exercise activities or take computer classes, as well as one other senior center.
- Air quality within Poughkeepsie is 11 percent below the national average and is based on the number of harmful pollutants in the atmosphere. This could pose a problem for seniors with lung conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Poughkeepsie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Poughkeepsie start around $6,080 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Poughkeepsie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Poughkeepsie
Medicaid is a way for qualified seniors to pay for assisted living in the state of New York. Medicaid programs include multiple services through the Assisted Living Program (though limited to 4,200 residents) and the Community First Choice Option (CFCO). The New York State Supplement Program also helps cover assisted living costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Poughkeepsie
Poughkeepsie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Poughkeepsie
Poughkeepsie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.