Assisted Living in Oneonta
Heritage at The Plains at Parish Homestead163 Heritage Circle, Oneonta, NY
Hampshire House1846 County Highway 48, Oneonta, NY
Robynwood Assisted Living43 Walnut Street, Oneonta, NY
At A Glance
There are 3 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Oneonta is $3,045 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Oneonta area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 15 reviews of assisted living communities in the Oneonta area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 3 assisted living communities in the Oneonta area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oneonta
Known as City of the Hills, Oneonta, New York, is a city situated in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Oneonta offers seniors a small-town community with mountain views and a population of 21 percent of citizens over the age of 65. Seniors in Oneonta can choose from three different assisted living facilities. These communities – or adult care facilities (ACF), as they are referred to in the Oneonta – are defined as centers providing long-term, non-medical residential services to adults who are unable to live independently. There are three separate types of ACFs in the state of New York which are regulated by the State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oneonta
- The Oneonta area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Bassett Healthcare Network A.O. Fox Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Oneonta experiences snowy winters, averaging more than triple the national mean snowfall during its winter months. Because the temperatures range between 18 and 25 degrees during this time, seniors who have medical conditions that are aggravated by the cold might look elsewhere for assisted living options. Summers in Oneonta are typically in the 70s.
Crime rates in Oneonta are high, with the chances of being a victim of some sort of violent or property crime around one in 33. Because Oneonta is more dangerous than 80 percent of all cities across the country, seniors looking to move to a city with less than 20,000 residents could choose another area for lower crime rates.
- On a scale of one to 100, Oneonta's air quality receives a score of 72 compared to the national average score of 58. This score highlights that the air quality contains significantly less harmful air pollutants than other areas of the nation and could make a difference for seniors who spend a lot of time outside.
The Oneonta Public Transit system provides public transportation for seniors in the area at a reduced fare. If seniors are looking to travel to New York City, the Trailways Bus Service offers a discount.
- The cost of living in Oneonta is 25 percent cheaper than the average cost of living across the state of New York. For seniors who prioritize affordability as well as living in New York, Oneonta could be considered for assisted living.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oneonta
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Oneonta start around $3,045 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oneonta and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oneonta
In New York, up to 4,200 eligible seniors can receive financial assistance for assisted living through the Assisted Living Program (ALP) waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oneonta
Oneonta and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oneonta
Oneonta-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.