Assisted Living in Hobbs
Landmark at Desert Gardens200 South Linam Street, Hobbs, NM
The Cedars501 W Alto Dr, Hobbs, NM
BeeHive Homes1928 College Lane, Hobbs, NM
At A Glance
There are 3 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Hobbs is $2,850 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Hobbs area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 9 reviews of assisted living communities in the Hobbs area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 3 assisted living communities in the Hobbs area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hobbs
Set in the southeast corner of New Mexico, Hobbs is just an hour away from the famous Carlsbad Caverns, where seniors can take tours guided by rangers. Seniors make up 9.6 percent of the local population and the area offers three assisted living facilities to serve them. The facilities are regulated and licensed through the New Mexico Department of Health, Division of Health Improvement, Health Facility Licensing and Certification Bureau.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hobbs
- Seniors on a budget will appreciate the cost of living in Hobbs, which sits at 16 percent lower than the national average and 11 percent lower than the state of New Mexico.
- Hobbs has one of the highest crime rates in the country with only 4 percent of United States cities ranking as more dangerous. Based on FBI reported data, a resident's chance of becoming a violent crime victim is one in 164 and the chance of being a victim of property crime is one in 20.
- Public transportation is provided by Hobbs Express, a shuttle service that offers fixed route and on-demand service. Senior discounts are not offered but U.S. veterans ride free with a Veteran's ID or New Mexico driver's license that displays veteran status.
- Hobbs offers a milder climate, ranging from an evening low of 27.9 degrees Fahrenheit in January and a daytime high of 93.5 degrees in July. The area receives a Sperling's Comfort Index of 68, reflecting the many days each year the temperature maxes out between 70 and 80 degrees. The desert setting keeps precipitation low, with an average of 15.5 inches of rain and 3.6 inches of snow annually.
- The state taxes all retirement income but offers tax rebates to seniors over 65 with a modified gross income under $22,000. Seniors with at least $28,000 in out-of-pocket medical expenses for the year qualify for a tax credit and exemption.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hobbs
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Mexico
Assisted Living costs in Hobbs start around $2,850 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hobbs and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hobbs
New Mexico does not offer financial aid for assisted living room and board but there is a program in place to help with long-term care services. Centennial Care, the state's Medicaid program, offers the Community Benefit program to help seniors avoid nursing home care and includes a self-directed option that allows participants to choose their caregivers. Further assistance can be obtained via the Older Americans Act through the Non Metro Area Agency on Aging.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hobbs
Hobbs and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hobbs
Hobbs-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Mexico are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page for more information about these laws.