Assisted Living in Wayne
Brookdale Wayne820 Hamburg Turnpike, Wayne, NJ
Sunrise of Wayne184 Berdan Avenue, Wayne, NJ
CareOne at Wayne493 Black Oak Ridge Road, Wayne, NJ
Brighton Gardens of West Orange220 Pleasant Valley Way, West Orange, NJ
Sunrise of West Essex47 Greenbrook, Fairfield, NJ
Van Dyk Health Care at Park Place644 Goffle Road, Hawthorne, NJ
CareOne at Morris200 Mazdabrook Rd., Parsippany, NJ
The Chelsea at Montville165 Changebridge Road, Montville, NJ
Fox Trail Memory Care Living at Montville55 River Road, Montville, NJ
At A Glance
There are 20 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Wayne is $4,928 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Wayne area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 59 reviews of assisted living communities in the Wayne area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 20 assisted living communities in the Wayne area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wayne
The township of Wayne is located in Passaic County, New Jersey, just 20 miles from midtown Manhattan. The city, which is home to William Paterson University, has over 55,000 people with 17.9 percent of the population over the age of 65. Seniors can choose from three assisted living facilities in town and 16 in the surrounding area. These communities are licensed by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services and are defined as either assisted living residences, comprehensive personal care homes or assisted living programs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wayne
- The cost of living in Wayne is 56.4 percent higher than the U.S. average, which may make it difficult for seniors on a budget to live here. Housing is the biggest factor for this, but transportation costs also come in well above average. Grocery and health care are comparable to national medians.
- Winters in Wayne can be quite cold, reaching lows of 20 degrees Fahrenheit in January. This may affect seniors who enjoy outdoor activities. Summers are warm and humid with highs of 84 degrees. Rainfall is above average at 50 inches per year, and snowfall averages just under the national median at 23 inches annually.
- New Jersey is a moderately tax-friendly state, as it does not tax Social Security benefits. Taxes on income from retirement accounts and pensions are generally low if the income is below a certain amount, which could leave more money for seniors to put towards assisted living.
- Wayne is safer than 31 percent of U.S. cities, and a majority of crimes are nonviolent, so seniors can feel safe living here. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being high crime, violent crime scored a low 19.3, and property crime was slightly higher at 34.3.
- Public transportation is limited in Wayne, but the town does provide a senior citizens bus for seniors who don’t drive. The bus has two different routes around town.
- Wayne has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Wayne Township Senior Citizen Advisory Committee, an organization that provides services and transportation to seniors, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wayne
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Wayne start around $4,928 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wayne and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wayne
Seniors looking for financial aid for assisted living in Wayne may apply through New Jersey's Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports program. In addition, the PAAD program also provides services not covered by Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wayne
Wayne and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wayne
Wayne-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.