32 Assisted Living Facilities in Livingston, NJ
Also serving communities of Roseland.
Brandywine Living at Livingston369 East Mount Pleasant Avenue, Livingston, NJ
Care One At Livingston76 Passaic Avenue, Livingston, NJ
Juniper Village at Chatham500 Southern Boulevard, Chatham, NJ
2016, 2017, 2018
Brookdale West Orange520 Prospect Avenue, West Orange, NJ
Brighton Gardens of West Orange220 Pleasant Valley Way, West Orange, NJ
Sunrise of Westfield240 Springfield Avenue, Westfield, NJ
Brighton Gardens of Mountainside1350 Route 22, West, Mountainside, NJ
Brighton Gardens of Florham Park21 Ridgedale Avenue, Florham Park, NJ
Sunrise of Morris Plains209 Littleton Road, Morris Plains, NJ
Sunrise of West Essex47 Greenbrook, Fairfield, NJ
Brookdale Florham Park8 James Street, Florham Park, NJ
Walpan Residence for Senior Citizens176 Christopher Street, Montclair, NJ
CareOne at Morris200 Mazdabrook Rd., Parsippany, NJ
Canterbury Village of West Orange33 Mount Pleasant Avenue, West Orange, NJ
Spring Meadows Summit41 Springfield Avenue, Summit, NJ
The Chelsea at Montville165 Changebridge Road, Montville, NJ
Sunrise of Madison215 Madison Avenue, Madison, NJ
Fox Trail Memory Care Living at Montville55 River Road, Montville, NJ
Job Haines Home250 Bloomfield Avenue, Bloomfield, NJ
Spring Hills Morristown17 Spring Place, Morristown, NJ
At A Glance
There are 32 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Livingston is $5,680 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Livingston area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 11 reviews of assisted living communities in the Livingston area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 32 assisted living communities in the Livingston area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Livingston
The township of Livingston in Essex County, New Jersey, is just 9 miles northwest of Newark, offering seniors peaceful, convenient suburban living within the New York metropolitan area. There are 42 assisted living facilities in the area including two within town limits.
In Livingston as in the rest of the Garden State, assisted living facilities are licensed by the New Jersey Department of Health and classified into three categories: assisted living residences (ALRs), which offer apartment-type accommodation; assisted living programs (ALPs), which cater to subsidized public housing residents; and comprehensive personal care homes (CPCHs), which accommodate no more than two persons per residential unit.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Livingston
- The cost of living in Livingston is 83 percent higher than the national average mainly due to housing and transportation costs respectively being 217 percent and 70 percent higher than the U.S. averages. Other expense categories are somewhat comparable to the nation’s average figures.
- Livingston’s violent and property crime rates are significantly lower than in Newark and the national averages, making the town a safer place for seniors.
- There are several mobility options for seniors in Livingston. NJ Transit operates bus routes around Livingston and other areas in New Jersey at reduced fares for citizens 62+. The Livingston Express Shuttle provides round-trip transportation from Livingston Mall to South Orange train station, and senior transportation is offered to Livingston residents 62+.
- The community of Livingston offers seniors plenty of arts and culture experiences. Local performers include New Jersey Ballet, Livingston Community Players and the Children’s Theatre of Livingston, and Livingston Symphony Orchestra concerts have ticket discounts for seniors. The Livingston Arts Association and Riker Hill Artists hold art classes and exhibits, and seniors can learn a foreign language, enjoy poetry sessions and other enrichment programs offered by the township’s Senior, Youth & Leisure Services (SYLS) department.
- The Livingston area area is home to world-class medical facilities including Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Summit Medical Group and Cardiovascular Consultants of NJ in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Livingston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Livingston start around $5,680 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Livingston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Livingston
The Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) program of New Jersey provides financial coverage on the costs of assisted living for Medicaid-eligible seniors in Livingston.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Livingston
Livingston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Livingston
Livingston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.