37 Assisted Living Facilities in Salem, NH
Also serving communities of Sandown, Fremont, Brentwood.
Greystone Farm at Salem242 Main Street, Salem, NH
2014, 2015, 2016
The Residence at Salem Woods6 Sally Sweets Way, Salem, NH
Benchmark Senior Living at Haverhill Crossings254 Amesbury Road, Haverhill, MA
Benchmark Senior Living at Chelmsford Crossings199 Chelmsford Street, Chelmsford, MA
Brookdale North Chelmsford4 Technology Drive, North Chelmsford, MA
Beaver Lake Lodge Assisted Living38 N Shore Rd, Derry, NH
Pine Hills Assisted Living35 N Lowell Road, Windham, NH
Atria Marland Place15 Stevens Street, Andover, MA
Ashland Farm at North Andover700 Chickering Road, North Andover, MA
Blaire House of Tewksbury10 Erlin Terrace, Tewksbury, MA
Grace Morgan House489 Prospect Street, Methuen, MA
Aynsley Place80 Lake Street, Nashua, NH
Poplin Way Assisted Living Facility442 Main Street, Fremont, NH
Wingate Residences at Haverhill10 Residences Way, Haverhill, MA
Bayberry at Emerald Court2000 Emerald Court, Tewksbury, MA
Stevens-Bennett Home337 Main Street, Haverhill, MA
The Arbors at Dracut21 Broadway Road, Dracut, MA
Grace House of Windham23 Mammoth Rd, Windham, NH
Rose Haven8 Jennifer Drive, Merrimack, NH
Brightview North Andover1275 Turnpike Street, North Andover, MA
At A Glance
There are 37 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Salem is $3,335 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Salem area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 14 reviews of assisted living communities in the Salem area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 37 assisted living communities in the Salem area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Salem
The town of Salem prides itself on being located in a state with a high quality of life, a rural, small-town feel and close proximity to the Boston area. In addition to these perks, seniors in Salem can choose from two assisted living facilities (ALFs) in town, and another 50 located nearby. The policies and regulations for ALFs in Salem are governed by the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services and are referred to as Residential Care Facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Salem
Crime rates in Salem are much lower than the U.S. averages, so seniors and their loved ones can feel quite safe and secure living in this area. Violent crime is rated at 12.4 out of 100 (1 being the safest), which is much lower than the national average of 31.1. Property crime is rated at 30.2, which is also lower than the national average of 38.1.
- The American Lung Association gave a mixed rating to Rockingham County. The area’s Ozone score received a poor grade of D, while the Particle Pollution 24-hour score was an A. Seniors with a severe respiratory illness should consider how this may affect their health.
- Seniors living in Salem enjoy warm summers with an average high temperature of 83 degrees in July, perfect for outdoor activities, walking trails and downtown shopping. The winter months are quite chilly, with an average low temperature of 15 degrees in January and 59 inches of snowfall, so seniors with limited mobility may have difficulty being active all year round.
- The Salem area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lawrence General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors may find day-to-day living more affordable in Salem, as New Hampshire has no state tax. Because of this, seniors on a budget may have more money to spend on higher quality care.
- While there is no city bus system in Salem, CART is a fixed-route shuttle service serving residents in this area. Shuttles are accessible to those with limited mobility and discounted fare is available for Medicaid recipients.
Paying for Assisted Living in Salem
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Hampshire
Assisted Living costs in Salem start around $6,699 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Salem and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Salem
Seniors in New Hampshire may be eligible for help with assisted living costs through the NH Medicaid’s Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waiver. There are no non-Medicaid programs available that offer aid for assisted living costs in New Hampshire.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Salem
Salem and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Salem
Salem-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Hampshire are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page for more information about these laws.