What to Consider About Assisted Living in Papillion
The city of Papillion is located in Sarpy County and is known for being an 1870s railroad town and suburb of Omaha. The city offers seniors two local assisted living facilities (ALFs), with 34 nearby. Each facility is regulated and licensed through the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Licensure Unit. ALFs in Papillion, and all of the state, are expected to provide seniors help with daily living activities, medication management and recreation services and to ensure the safety and health of their residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Papillion
- Seniors may feel safe in Papillion, which has a violent crime rate that is 212 percent lower than the national average. Alternatively, with a high crime per square mile ratio, residents here experience an 86 percent higher crime rate than cities of comparable size in the state.
- The cost of living in Papillion is rated as a 101 compared to the national average of 100, meaning residents here pay more than most in the nation. Seniors may want to consider that the state cost of living standards rest at 88, making Papillion more expensive than nearby cities.
- Frigid winter temperatures in Papillion range between 25 and 29 degrees, which could be hazardous to seniors with heart disease and circulation problems. Summers are often hot and muggy, with high rainfalls that make conditions outside more slippery and could cause an elderly resident to fall.
- The air quality in Papillion is considered 3 percent better than the national average, making it easier for seniors with respiratory illnesses to live there. The town also has a 14 percent lower pollution index compared to the national median.
- Papillion has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Papillion Senior Center, an organization that provides seniors with activities, social programs and educational services.
- The Papillion area is home to world-class medical facilities, including CHI Health Midlands and Select Specialty Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Papillion
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Nebraska
Assisted Living costs in Papillion start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Papillion and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Papillion
The state of Nebraska offers eligible seniors two different financial aid programs, including the Medicaid 1915 Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (HCBS) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Papillion
Papillion and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Papillion
Papillion-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Nebraska are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page for more information about these laws.