5 Assisted Living Facilities near New York Mills, MN
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the New York Mills area, with 2 in New York Mills and 3 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in New York Mills. Better rated regions include Perham with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New York Mills, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in New York Mills, MN
3 Assisted Living Facilities near New York Mills, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New York Mills
New York Mills was originally settled by the Sioux tribe, who helped European settlers map the land, clear it, hunt and establish gardens. While the Sioux eventually moved north, European settlers stayed, and New York Mills was established as a town in 1884. At that time, the city had roughly 300 residents. Today, New York Mills has around 1,200 residents, nearly one in five of whom are seniors.
Local seniors who want to live in a community setting have five assisted living facilities to choose from, including two in New York Mills and three more in nearby Perham. These facilities are licensed as Basic or Comprehensive housing with services establishments, and they register annually with the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New York Mills
- With its low cost of living, New York Mills may be an attractive option for seniors with tight assisted living budgets. Overall, living expenses come in nearly 20% below the national average, and healthcare expenses are about 15% below the national average.
- On a 100-point scale, the violent crime rate in New York Mills is less than half the national average at 10.6, and the property crime rate is about 10 points below the national average at 23.9. This may appeal to active seniors who are seeking a safe city for retirement.
- The average summer highs in New York Mills is 80 degrees, making the city cooler than most in the state. Winters are very cold with average lows below 0 degrees, and the average annual snowfall is 48 inches. Seniors may want to find an assisted living facility with individual climate control.
- Minnesota is one of the few states in which retirees pay state income tax on all of their retirement income, including Social Security benefits. This may be a consideration for seniors moving to New York Mills from another state.
- The New York Mills area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Perham.
- On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being the best, the air quality in New York Mills is 90. The city's clean air may be beneficial to seniors, especially those with respiratory illnesses.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in New York Mills
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in New York Mills start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New York Mills and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New York Mills
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New York Mills
New York Mills and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New York Mills, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New York Mills
New York Mills-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.