What to Consider About Assisted Living in Maplewood
Maplewood has a population of 40,198, 16 percent of whom are over 65. When these seniors decide it's time to seek out assisted living facilities, they have seven facilities in town and 50 more in surrounding areas. In Maplewood and the rest of Minnesota, assisted living facilities (ALF) are regulated by the Minnesota Department of Health and are held to a strict set of standards. These facilities provide assistance with bathing, eating, grooming and general care for resident seniors.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Maplewood
- The cost of living in Maplewood, Minnesota, is four points higher than the national average. Seniors may see this reflected in the price of goods and services, which may be slightly higher here than in other places.
- The crime rate in Maplewood is 57 percent higher than the national average. This could be a concern for safety-minded seniors, as Maplewood residents have a one in 27 chance of becoming a victim of either a violent or property crime.
- The Maplewood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. John's Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The weather in Maplewood, Minnesota, is not great for seniors. Much of the year, the temperature ranges from the low 20s to the mid-40s until the summer, when it leaps up to the low 80s range. Being exposed to cold temperatures for extended periods of time can be hazardous to one's health, so this is something seniors must factor into their decision to move to Maplewood.
- The air quality in Maplewood is 11 percent better than the national average, but the pollution levels are three percent worse. This is something that can impact the health of seniors with respiratory conditions.
- Maplewood has many resources for seniors, including transportation options and opportunities to socialize with other seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Maplewood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Maplewood start around $2,897 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Maplewood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Maplewood
Eligible seniors can apply for financial assistance for assisted living in Minnesota through programs like Minnesota Medicaid. They may also apply to receive assistance from state programs such as the Minnesota Consumer Support Grant (CSG).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Maplewood
Maplewood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maplewood
Maplewood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.