89 Assisted Living Facilities in Silver Spring, MD
Sunrise of Silver Spring11621 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, MD
Wellness Touch Care15911 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, MD
Royals Assisted Living2424 Portage Road, Silver Spring, MD
Care Personnel Healthcare Inc1006 Loxford Terrace, Silver Spring, MD
Milo Care, Inc.2308 Coleridge Drive, Silver Spring, MD
AlfredHouse II4 Broomall Court, Silver Spring, MD
AlfredHouse Shalom711 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD
JRose Assisted Living #214109 Burning Bush Lane, Silver Spring, MD
JRose Assisted Living #1808 E Franklin Avenue, Silver Spring, MD
Nu-Life Assisted Living Inc12810 Tearberry Road, Silver Spring, MD
Serene Homestead LLC12606 Meadowood Drive, Silver Spring, MD
SureHealth Assisted Living of Silver Spring2308 Coleridge Drive, Silver Spring, MD
Sunrise of Chevy Chase2201 Colston Drive, Silver Spring, MD
Riderwood3140 Gracefield Road, Silver Spring, MD
Aspenwood Senior Living Community14400 Homecrest Rd, Silver Spring, MD
Bedford Court3701 International Drive, Silver Spring, MD
Necitas Assisted Living13833 Overton Lane, Silver Spring, MD
B'nai B'rith Homecrest House14508 Homecrest Road, Silver Spring, MD
Fairland Center2101 Fairland Rd, Silver Spring, MD
Layhill Center3227 Bel Pre Rd, Silver Spring, MD
At A Glance
There are 89 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Silver Spring is $3,907 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Silver Spring area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 100 reviews of assisted living communities in the Silver Spring area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 89 assisted living communities in the Silver Spring area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Silver Spring
Silver Spring is a community located within the Capital Beltway, close to the excitement of the nation's capital. Seniors may find some calm in one of the community's 44 assisted living facilities or the 13 in nearby cities including Rockville, Bethesda and Washington D.C.
The Maryland Department of Health Assisted Living Unit oversees the licensing of assisted living facilities in the state. There are three levels of licenses available based on the level of care provided.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Silver Spring
- Montgomery County, including Silver Spring, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Silver Spring Arts District has many options for seniors wishing to experience arts and culture. Some assisted living facilities may organize group visits to see a classic film at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center, or to enjoy the music at the Silver Spring Jazz Festival.
- Particle pollution in Silver Spring is very good, and the State of the Air Report 2018 reported that the area had no days with unhealthy levels of particle pollution. Ozone pollution is higher, receiving a C grade in the report. The good air quality can be beneficial to seniors with respiratory concerns.
- Silver Spring is an expensive place to live, largely due to the high cost of housing. The Sperling cost of living index rates the community at 148 overall, compared to the national average of 100. Although groceries are not as high as that, they're still over five points higher than the national average.
- The Washington Metro provides public transportation in Silver Spring, and riders aged 65 or older receive discounted fares. Seniors may also be able to use MetroAccess or Abilities-Ride, paratransit services for people unable to use the fixed-route services.
- In Maryland, income from retirement funds and private pensions is fully taxable, although there is a deduction for taxpayers aged 65 or older. Seniors relying on Social Security income will not have to pay taxes, allowing them to keep more money in their retirement budget.
Paying for Assisted Living in Silver Spring
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Silver Spring start around $3,907 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Silver Spring and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Silver Spring
Financial assistance is available to seniors in small assisted living facilities through Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy. Maryland also has an Optional State Supplement (OSS) available to seniors who are eligible for Social Security payments or would be eligible except for income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Silver Spring
Silver Spring and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Silver Spring
Silver Spring-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.